CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
lionshead

Re: CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Post by lionshead » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:14 pm

The wiring is fairly straight forward. If I can do if I’m sure you can! Besides I couldn’t live without the camera kicking in!

BobbyBox

Post by BobbyBox » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:10 pm

lionshead wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:14 pm
The wiring is fairly straight forward. If I can do if I’m sure you can! Besides I couldn’t live without the camera kicking in!
I can’t get AD to share with me the instructions for that part of the job.
The file shared elsewhere on this forum didn’t have any reference to reversing light connection the last time I looked.
My issue is more about cutting into the wiring harness at all. JLR don’t have the best electrics reputation and I don’t want to be responsible for turning my car electrics into a String of future problems. If I could see what they are advising be done, I could make an informed decision.
Can you share the details?

Best

BB
Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE TD4 (180) MY16, Auto, Loire Blue, Almond Interior, Adaptive Xenons, Roof Rails, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps, Privacy Glass, Memory Pack, Travall Dog Guard, Removable Tow Bar, Qi Wireless Charging Mat. Built Oct 2015.

davep1628

Post by davep1628 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:16 pm

BobbyBox wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:10 pm
lionshead wrote:
The file shared elsewhere on this forum didn’t have any reference to reversing light connection the last time I looked.
My issue is more about cutting into the wiring harness at all. JLR don’t have the best electrics reputation and I don’t want to be responsible for turning my car electrics into a String of future problems. If I could see what they are advising be done, I could make an informed decision.

Best

BB
There was no requirement to cut into the wiring harness - it's just case of unplugging a couple of connectors from the existing head unit, plugging them into the CarPlay Unit and plugging connectors form the CarPlay unit into the head unit. If ever you were to sell the car, it would be easy to remove the CarPlay unit.

Dave.
2016 Discovery Sport HSE Luxury, Farallon Black, Ivory Interior

BobbyBox

Post by BobbyBox » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:41 pm

davep1628 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:16 pm
BobbyBox wrote:
lionshead wrote:

Best

BB
There was no requirement to cut into the wiring harness - it's just case of unplugging a couple of connectors from the existing head unit, plugging them into the CarPlay Unit and plugging connectors form the CarPlay unit into the head unit. If ever you were to sell the car, it would be easy to remove the CarPlay unit.

Dave.
I'm quite happy to remove dashboard trim and install the carplay module with its extra plug-and-play wiring harness if thats the case.
However, It would appear that for certain MY16 cars (which appear to be VIN specific) an additional wire needs to be run from one un identified carplay harness connector to some as yet un identified bit of wiring somewhere else in the vehicle (I assume at the back of the vehicle) relating to the reversing light. Some MY16 vehicle folk have been advised by AD to do it, others with the same MY have not. I'd like to know whats going on before i sink £500+ and then find i have to feck around with pulling trim out front to aft and then identifying some wiring to splice into.

Thats why I was hoping that someone might share the supplementary install instructions for this additional step.

Davep1628, is your vehicle a MY16? do you know when it was built? It would be great to know if it's near to my own build date (Oct 2015) or if its the MY16.5 version introduced mid 2016.

BB
Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE TD4 (180) MY16, Auto, Loire Blue, Almond Interior, Adaptive Xenons, Roof Rails, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps, Privacy Glass, Memory Pack, Travall Dog Guard, Removable Tow Bar, Qi Wireless Charging Mat. Built Oct 2015.

davep1628

Post by davep1628 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:57 am

BobbyBox wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:41 pm
davep1628 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:16 pm
BobbyBox wrote:

Best

BB

Dave.
I'm quite happy to remove dashboard trim and install the carplay module with its extra plug-and-play wiring harness if thats the case.
However, It would appear that for certain MY16 cars (which appear to be VIN specific) an additional wire needs to be run from one un identified carplay harness connector to some as yet un identified bit of wiring somewhere else in the vehicle (I assume at the back of the vehicle) relating to the reversing light. Some MY16 vehicle folk have been advised by AD to do it, others with the same MY have not. I'd like to know whats going on before i sink £500+ and then find i have to feck around with pulling trim out front to aft and then identifying some wiring to splice into.

Thats why I was hoping that someone might share the supplementary install instructions for this additional step.

Davep1628, is your vehicle a MY16? do you know when it was built? It would be great to know if it's near to my own build date (Oct 2015) or if its the MY16.5 version introduced mid 2016.

BB
My car is a MY17 car, first registered in December 2016. I didn't need to connect anything to wiring at the rear of the car, it was all just plug'n'play at the audio head unit.

Dave.

BobbyBox

Post by BobbyBox » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:08 pm

[/quote]

My car is a MY17 car, first registered in December 2016. I didn't need to connect anything to wiring at the rear of the car, it was all just plug'n'play at the audio head unit.

Dave.
[/quote]

Aah, so you have the new design instrument cluster (better graphics and 'flat' dials)? It must be a limitation of the MY16 and earlier vehicles that have different wiring.

So anyone got the instructions?

Thanks

BB

Karper

Post by Karper » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:52 am

I received my cheap version from Aliexpress (about 240 euros). I haven't installed it but it looks exactly the same as the ones shown in the instructions pdf posted earlier in the thread - only with a different logo on top. I will install it when the weather is good and report back with how it functions.

Karper

Post by Karper » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:55 am

I've installed it. I haven't tested it much apart from making sure CarPlay connects and microphone/audio work. Installation took about 2 hours, having an electric screw driver helps. The most difficult thing was getting the cars infotainment box back in place.

The bluetooth name was IDCore which I know others have mentioned before. I guess they are all from the same manufacturer. I routed my audio as per the instructions shared previously for the unique-ad unit. That is I didn't run a cable to my aux input in the centre arm rest. However I did have to insert the included "dongle" in to the aux port to have the audio work.

I will post again once I had a better play with it.

Karper

Post by Karper » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:37 pm

I have completed a short drive with it. So much nicer than the standard infotainment. CarPlay connected wirelessly and I played some music from the YouTube Music app. The reversing camera automatically comes on when changing in to reverse - I turned on dip switches 1 and 8 based on the advice here.

I used Apple Maps and it already guessed where I was going based on my routine previously I suppose.

Overall I'm very happy with the unit, and I'm thankful for the advice and instructions provided here as my unit didn't come with any - although I asked them yesterday and they have said they will send instructions via email. Let's see how it goes on longer trips.

davep1628

Post by davep1628 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:47 pm

Karper wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:37 pm
I have completed a short drive with it. So much nicer than the standard infotainment. CarPlay connected wirelessly and I played some music from the YouTube Music app. The reversing camera automatically comes on when changing in to reverse - I turned on dip switches 1 and 8 based on the advice here.

I used Apple Maps and it already guessed where I was going based on my routine previously I suppose.

Overall I'm very happy with the unit, and I'm thankful for the advice and instructions provided here as my unit didn't come with any - although I asked them yesterday and they have said they will send instructions via email. Let's see how it goes on longer trips.
I've been really pleased with mine so far, I've been using it for a few months now. The only problem I have is that sometimes it doesn't connect wirelessly and I have to connect it with a lightning cable (not a big deal, but slightly annoying).

For SatNav, I used to use TomTom Go on my iPhone, but the CarPlay interface for it is missing most if the useful information, so I have now switched to Waze.

For music, I tend to use the Apple Podcast app, which works really well, I sometimes use the Planet Rock app too, as I'm an ageing rocker at heart :D

For phone calls, I use CarPlay, rather than the LR Bluetooth interface, again the CarPlay telephone interface is much better than the standard Land Rover one.

Dave