CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
davep1628
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:54 pm

Re: CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Post by davep1628 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:23 am

[quote=ikennethj post_id=113061 time=1582967733 user_id=8181]
[quote=davep1628 post_id=112518 time=1580629082 user_id=7361]
Hi,

I can confirm that my factory fitted reversing camera has worked from the moment I installed the device. Unique AD were very keen to know exactly which model year my DIsco is and they set the switches for me before they sent the device to me - 1 & 8 ON in my case.

Regards,
Dave.
[/quote]

Sorry, also can you explain the issue of the getting to the rear aircon controls through the touch screen (MMI)? Just concern the wife might get frustrated. Thanks again
[/quote]

It’s not the rear aircon controls, it’s the heated/cooled seat controls. I suspect it’s only the cars with cooled seats that has this issue.

Dave
2016 Discovery Sport HSE Luxury, Farallon Black, Ivory Interior

SailorDoc
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:31 pm

Re: CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Post by SailorDoc » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:02 pm

Just a brief update to say I installed the Unique Ad Car Play unit today and it went off without a hitch. A couple of things seem to have changed since the earlier kits from them mentioned earlier in the thread. Firstly, they supply a blanking plug for the AUX port in the armrest, and using this the audio was absolutely fine. Also, the microphone cable is now long enough to bury behind trim and route overhead. Reversing camera working normally on mine. Their instructions now say switch 1 on for those with round style instrument display, switch 2 on for earlier instrument display models, switch 8 on for factory fitted reversing camera or no camera and switch 8 off for aftermarket reversing camera.

I’m still not sure how future updates will be applied - I presume using their supplied USB stick into the USB cable they have fitted to the unit?
MY18 DS SE Tech 180HP Automatic Santorini Black

ikennethj
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:27 am

Re: CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Post by ikennethj » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:57 am

SailorDoc wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:02 pm
Just a brief update to say I installed the Unique Ad Car Play unit today and it went off without a hitch. A couple of things seem to have changed since the earlier kits from them mentioned earlier in the thread. Firstly, they supply a blanking plug for the AUX port in the armrest, and using this the audio was absolutely fine. Also, the microphone cable is now long enough to bury behind trim and route overhead. Reversing camera working normally on mine. Their instructions now say switch 1 on for those with round style instrument display, switch 2 on for earlier instrument display models, switch 8 on for factory fitted reversing camera or no camera and switch 8 off for aftermarket reversing camera.

I’m still not sure how future updates will be applied - I presume using their supplied USB stick into the USB cable they have fitted to the unit?
Hi, can I ask how long it took you to install the unit? Also I was wondering if you could share the installation document with me before I bite the bullet? I tried to PM you but the message does not seem to get to you.

Thanks

ikennethj
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:27 am

Re: CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Post by ikennethj » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:58 am

davep1628 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:23 am
ikennethj wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:15 am
davep1628 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:38 am
Hi,

I can confirm that my factory fitted reversing camera has worked from the moment I installed the device. Unique AD were very keen to know exactly which model year my DIsco is and they set the switches for me before they sent the device to me - 1 & 8 ON in my case.

Regards,
Dave.
Sorry, also can you explain the issue of the getting to the rear aircon controls through the touch screen (MMI)? Just concern the wife might get frustrated. Thanks again
It’s not the rear aircon controls, it’s the heated/cooled seat controls. I suspect it’s only the cars with cooled seats that has this issue.

Dave
Thanks and noted Dave, by the way I was trying to PM you but it does not seem to work, can you PM me ? Thanks

SailorDoc
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:31 pm

Re: CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Post by SailorDoc » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:47 pm

ikennethj wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:57 am
SailorDoc wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:02 pm
Just a brief update to say I installed the Unique Ad Car Play unit today and it went off without a hitch. A couple of things seem to have changed since the earlier kits from them mentioned earlier in the thread. Firstly, they supply a blanking plug for the AUX port in the armrest, and using this the audio was absolutely fine. Also, the microphone cable is now long enough to bury behind trim and route overhead. Reversing camera working normally on mine. Their instructions now say switch 1 on for those with round style instrument display, switch 2 on for earlier instrument display models, switch 8 on for factory fitted reversing camera or no camera and switch 8 off for aftermarket reversing camera.

I’m still not sure how future updates will be applied - I presume using their supplied USB stick into the USB cable they have fitted to the unit?
Hi, can I ask how long it took you to install the unit? Also I was wondering if you could share the installation document with me before I bite the bullet? I tried to PM you but the message does not seem to get to you.

Thanks
The install took a little over 3 hours. The unique ID installation guide has already been posted on this thread previously, but the link to the file is:

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/download/file.php?id=9939

One bit not in there is the need to remove the centre console top piece (the bit around the cup holders and gear shift wheel) to expose some screws underneath. That centre console bit is only held in by clips.
MY18 DS SE Tech 180HP Automatic Santorini Black

ikennethj
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:27 am

Re: CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Post by ikennethj » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:39 am

ikennethj wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:58 am
davep1628 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:23 am
ikennethj wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:15 am


Sorry, also can you explain the issue of the getting to the rear aircon controls through the touch screen (MMI)? Just concern the wife might get frustrated. Thanks again
It’s not the rear aircon controls, it’s the heated/cooled seat controls. I suspect it’s only the cars with cooled seats that has this issue.

Dave
Thanks and noted Dave, by the way I was trying to PM you but it does not seem to work, can you PM me ? Thanks
Thanks ... sent you a reply, did you get it?

ikennethj
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:27 am

Re: CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Post by ikennethj » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:39 am

SailorDoc wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:47 pm
ikennethj wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:57 am
SailorDoc wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:02 pm
Just a brief update to say I installed the Unique Ad Car Play unit today and it went off without a hitch. A couple of things seem to have changed since the earlier kits from them mentioned earlier in the thread. Firstly, they supply a blanking plug for the AUX port in the armrest, and using this the audio was absolutely fine. Also, the microphone cable is now long enough to bury behind trim and route overhead. Reversing camera working normally on mine. Their instructions now say switch 1 on for those with round style instrument display, switch 2 on for earlier instrument display models, switch 8 on for factory fitted reversing camera or no camera and switch 8 off for aftermarket reversing camera.

I’m still not sure how future updates will be applied - I presume using their supplied USB stick into the USB cable they have fitted to the unit?
Hi, can I ask how long it took you to install the unit? Also I was wondering if you could share the installation document with me before I bite the bullet? I tried to PM you but the message does not seem to get to you.

Thanks
The install took a little over 3 hours. The unique ID installation guide has already been posted on this thread previously, but the link to the file is:

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/download/file.php?id=9939

One bit not in there is the need to remove the centre console top piece (the bit around the cup holders and gear shift wheel) to expose some screws underneath. That centre console bit is only held in by clips.
Thanks! I needed that

ikennethj
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:27 am

Re: CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Post by ikennethj » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:40 am

SailorDoc wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:02 pm
Just a brief update to say I installed the Unique Ad Car Play unit today and it went off without a hitch. A couple of things seem to have changed since the earlier kits from them mentioned earlier in the thread. Firstly, they supply a blanking plug for the AUX port in the armrest, and using this the audio was absolutely fine. Also, the microphone cable is now long enough to bury behind trim and route overhead. Reversing camera working normally on mine. Their instructions now say switch 1 on for those with round style instrument display, switch 2 on for earlier instrument display models, switch 8 on for factory fitted reversing camera or no camera and switch 8 off for aftermarket reversing camera.

I’m still not sure how future updates will be applied - I presume using their supplied USB stick into the USB cable they have fitted to the unit?
I reached out to the people at Unique AD, and this is their answer

"Our product doesn't require software updates to function. We release new software from time to time (normally 3-5 months time) to improve user experience. There is an approved flash drive included in the pack for this purpose. You can drop us an email enquiring firmware if we have a newer version, we will send it to you via email."

ikennethj
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:27 am

Re: CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Post by ikennethj » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:44 am

davep1628 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:23 am
ikennethj wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:15 am
davep1628 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:38 am
Hi,

I can confirm that my factory fitted reversing camera has worked from the moment I installed the device. Unique AD were very keen to know exactly which model year my DIsco is and they set the switches for me before they sent the device to me - 1 & 8 ON in my case.

Regards,
Dave.
Sorry, also can you explain the issue of the getting to the rear aircon controls through the touch screen (MMI)? Just concern the wife might get frustrated. Thanks again
It’s not the rear aircon controls, it’s the heated/cooled seat controls. I suspect it’s only the cars with cooled seats that has this issue.

Dave
Hi Dave,

I PMed you but not sure if you received it ... its strange as I have a 2015 Discovery Sport with no CD play but factory fitted reverse camera and AD insist that I will have to will have to connect the single wire to your reverse light so your reverse camera will automatically display if you are in CarPlay/AA menu.

I am starting to be vary worried about the installation process ... seems more complicated on mine

User avatar
BobbyBox
Posts: 465
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:44 pm
Location: South Oxfordshire, UK

Re: CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Post by BobbyBox » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:23 pm

ikennethj wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:44 am
davep1628 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:23 am
ikennethj wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:15 am


Sorry, also can you explain the issue of the getting to the rear aircon controls through the touch screen (MMI)? Just concern the wife might get frustrated. Thanks again
It’s not the rear aircon controls, it’s the heated/cooled seat controls. I suspect it’s only the cars with cooled seats that has this issue.

Dave
Hi Dave,

I PMed you but not sure if you received it ... its strange as I have a 2015 Discovery Sport with no CD play but factory fitted reverse camera and AD insist that I will have to will have to connect the single wire to your reverse light so your reverse camera will automatically display if you are in CarPlay/AA menu.

I am starting to be vary worried about the installation process ... seems more complicated on mine
Is your DS the 2.2 diesel or the 2.0 ingenium diesel? also whats the date stamped in the engine bay by the bonnet latch?
I've been advised similar by AD even though mine is a 2016MY built 5th Oct 2015. I'm not buggering about with the wiring.

BB
Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE TD4 (180) MY16, Auto, Loire Blue, Almond Interior, Adaptive Xenons, Roof Rails, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps, Privacy Glass, Memory Pack, Travall Dog Guard, Removable Tow Bar, Qi Wireless Charging Mat. Built Oct 2015.

Post Reply