CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
davep1628

Re: CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Post by davep1628 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:09 am

ikennethj wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:00 am
Hi Karper, am new to the forum, have you received your set from Aliexpress yet? Am planning on going down this route but am afraid.

To the rest, hi, I have a late 2015 with 8in screen and been reading this thread. It looks like there is good success. Any advice on which to buy?

Thanks all in advance
Hi,

If you buy the one from Unique AD, you will b e paying the top price for it, but you will get a full UK Warranty and UK based support. I bought mine from them and they'v e been extremely helpful, both pre and post sale. Others here have bought from JoyAuto (china) and I get the feeling that, for some, things didn't go as smoothly as my installation.

I suspect that the Aliexpress one will come from JoyAuto, if not, I'm not sure where you will get any needed support from.

As your Disco Sport is a late 2015 one, I think you will need to ensure that switches 2 & 8 are in the ON position for the factory reversing camera to work correctly (but check earlier posts to be sure).

I've had my CarPlay for a few weeks now and my biggest com plaint about the setup is that it's a slow process to get to the aircon and heated seat controls, but that is the fault of Land Rover - they should never have put them in the Touch Screen in the first place!

Regards,
Dave.
2016 Discovery Sport HSE Luxury, Farallon Black, Ivory Interior

lionshead

Post by lionshead » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:20 am

Although there’s seems little difference in the units I went for the Unique AD and am glad I did. Good support based in the UK.

Although there’s seems little difference in the units - the cheapest is not always best!

Karper

Post by Karper » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:44 am

davep1628 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:09 am

I've had my CarPlay for a few weeks now and my biggest com plaint about the setup is that it's a slow process to get to the aircon and heated seat controls, but that is the fault of Land Rover - they should never have put them in the Touch Screen in the first place!

Regards,
Dave.
Do you not have manual controls for heated seats? My front and back row have buttons for them, there is no on screen controls for me. My touch screen also has 3rd row climate control but I only use that when its summer for my dog.

Karper

Post by Karper » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:45 am

lionshead wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:20 am
Although there’s seems little difference in the units I went for the Unique AD and am glad I did. Good support based in the UK.

Although there’s seems little difference in the units - the cheapest is not always best!
I'm planning on moving country in a year or so. I wanted car play until then and could justify 250 euros vs the price of paying for map updates. But for the unique AD price I could just wait for my next car.

Karper

Post by Karper » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:45 am

ikennethj wrote:
Hi Karper, am new to the forum, have you received your set from Aliexpress yet? Am planning on going down this route but am afraid.

To the rest, hi, I have a late 2015 with 8in screen and been reading this thread. It looks like there is good success. Any advice on which to buy?

Thanks all in advance
They won't send it out til Feb 9th due to Chinese New Year, I'll post an update once I have it installed.

ikennethj

Post by ikennethj » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:54 am

Karper wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:45 am
ikennethj wrote:

Thanks all in advance
They won't send it out til Feb 9th due to Chinese New Year, I'll post an update once I have it installed.
Thanks for the update, I do have to agree with your earlier comment, am a bit reluctant to spend unique AD price as the moment. Do let me know how things goes.

ikennethj

Post by ikennethj » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:05 am

lionshead wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:20 am

Hi lionshead, I do agree with you to a certain extent. Just to put things into perspective for everyone here.

Hi, so I am from Singapore and my 2015 LR Disco Sport is a Firenze Red Black Pack Edition. I would really love to add CarPlay as I have been an Apple user for well over 15 years. My entire ecology at home and family is Apple.

Couple of months back, I found this XCarLink http://xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=529&cat=32&page=1 It costed me a whopping 699.98 pounds. First of all the support was slow and not clear. Despite the shortcomings, I bit the bullet and went ahead. Biggest mistake of my life! (my fault) The item came about 2 months later, but after hours of fiddling, we found out that the unit does not work! All I got was a black/bank screen XCarLink has also stop responding to my emails. SCAMMED!

I was surfing the net and happen to see this forum, now I am just wondering if I should still continue to explore.

ikennethj

Post by ikennethj » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:09 am

Karper wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:44 am
davep1628 wrote:

Regards,
Dave.
Do you not have manual controls for heated seats? My front and back row have buttons for them, there is no on screen controls for me. My touch screen also has 3rd row climate control but I only use that when its summer for my dog.
Hi, I do not have heated seats but the I have 3rd row climate and do use it regularly since it is summer all year long in Singapore.

ikennethj

Post by ikennethj » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:12 am

davep1628 wrote:
ikennethj wrote:

Thanks all in advance
Hi,

If you buy the one from Unique AD, you will b e paying the top price for it, but you will get a full UK Warranty and UK based support. I bought mine from them and they'v e been extremely helpful, both pre and post sale. Others here have bought from JoyAuto (china) and I get the feeling that, for some, things didn't go as smoothly as my installation.

I suspect that the Aliexpress one will come from JoyAuto, if not, I'm not sure where you will get any needed support from.

As your Disco Sport is a late 2015 one, I think you will need to ensure that switches 2 & 8 are in the ON position for the factory reversing camera to work correctly (but check earlier posts to be sure).

Regards,
Dave.
Hi Dave, You might have seen on a post above that I was scammed of another united so the Unique AD is still not as costly as the one I had.

Can I confirm that you have no issues with the factory reversing camera already?

I do not have heated seats but the I have 3rd row climate and do use it regularly since it is summer all year long in Singapore. Can you advice what you mean by slow process to get to the air-con.

davep1628

Post by davep1628 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:38 am

Hi,

I can confirm that my factory fitted reversing camera has worked from the moment I installed the device. Unique AD were very keen to know exactly which model year my DIsco is and they set the switches for me before they sent the device to me - 1 & 8 ON in my case.

Regards,
Dave.
2016 Discovery Sport HSE Luxury, Farallon Black, Ivory Interior