Aftermarket Android Infotainment

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Karper

Aftermarket Android Infotainment

Post by Karper » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:55 am

Has anyone tried one of these Android based infotainment units? I have seen a few on Aliexpress and am wondering how well they operate. There are a few different options.

Basically I have the non pro ICT and want better maps and CarPlay. Getting tired of the maps being out of date and it seems every couple of days a road near me is closed due to construction which would never be accounted for without live maps. I think just CarPlay would be enough but it seems unlikely the standard ICT will support this.

Here are a few of the options, there are more on the same site with varying specs.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Liislee ... 90561.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-25-f ... 54113.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/YESSUN- ... 02189.html

zico88

Re: Aftermarket Android Infotainment

Post by zico88 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:30 am

Looks good to me. Anyone tried?

Mine is 2015MY and the infotainment screen is basic.

Karper

Post by Karper » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:28 am

I'm tempted to order the first one I linked however I don't really have experience in installing things in cars. I found the instructions for removing the existing entertainment unit, looks quite involved but not impossible. I asked a car audio place near me but based on their response they won't do it unless it has the European CE logo on it, which I imagine it doesn't. I think you'd have to make sure you have the correct spec for it to work. Mine has the same in control touch unit as in their photos without the DVD player. So I guess it would work.

Would also be interested to hear from people who have removed parts of the dash and how hard it is.

DiscoSportDave

Post by DiscoSportDave » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:08 pm

Even if it does have a CE logo on it, its often used for China Export !
MY19 Landmark - Narvik Black, Traffic Sign Recognition, Reduced Spare Wheel, Alloy Pedals

nmjeria

Post by nmjeria » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:28 pm

This certainly looks very nice for those of us who can't have apple play/android auto, as it seems to offer more features and incoporated every function of the present system. Would love to get feedback from any one who has ventured down that rote and had one installed. It also ssems to have been installed quite nicely in the Disco sport from the photos.

Grateful for any feedback from anyone who has had this installed or any other infotainment system as I'm considering this as well.
---------------------------------------------------------
My17 indus silver HSE 19" rims 66 plate
hyundai Sante fe premium Plus 64 plate
Ford Mondeo

ntc

Post by ntc » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:42 pm

DiscoSportDave wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:08 pm
And who makes them for LR?
MY 2016.7 Hse Lux 180
Gone should have built it better shame nice car cheap parts fitted from new, expensive dealers :roll:
New Rav4 AWD Dynamic LOVE IT :D

Karper

Post by Karper » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:47 pm

I found them initially via this forum https://www.discoverysport.net/forum/el ... ble-2.html however it appears the person who said they had purchased one has not updated with feedback yet.

DiscoSportDave

Post by DiscoSportDave » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:39 pm

ntc wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:42 pm
DiscoSportDave wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:08 pm
And who makes them for LR?

Probably Huawei with a spy cam on board lol! ;) ;)

I'm not averse to aliexpress - i've bought many items of smaller value over the years; might as well go direct as pay UK eBay sellers selling the same for twice the price.

Seriously though to the OP maybe worth calling a few UK based car hifi places and see what options they come up with - - not a recommendation but Bass Junkies have a pretty big product range, many other car av/hifi places too
MY19 Landmark - Narvik Black, Traffic Sign Recognition, Reduced Spare Wheel, Alloy Pedals

Ian_S

Post by Ian_S » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:58 pm

If these things were just infotainment it might be less risky, but when most of the car setup controls are integrated in, and 4 wheel drive systems etc, then it becomes a much harder call.

The continued screen integration in cars must have just about killed the stereo aftermarket. New DS will be even more difficult to change.
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

Karper

Post by Karper » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:23 pm

DiscoSportDave wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:39 pm
Seriously though to the OP maybe worth calling a few UK based car hifi places and see what options they come up with - - not a recommendation but Bass Junkies have a pretty big product range, many other car av/hifi places too
I'm not in the UK but I emailed a few local places and they don't even have the car in their system, so no products I've seen.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”