Introducing wireless software updates for your Land Rover

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Dashnine

Introducing wireless software updates for your Land Rover

Post by Dashnine » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:59 pm

Had this from LR, presumably related to my MY19, I’m a bit unsure how this would work as I don’t have WiFi or personal SIM data connectivity in the car:

In the next few months we’ll be launching our first wireless software update for your vehicle. Software updates provide a way of updating core software on your vehicle at your convenience in order to maintain and improve its capabilities without the need to visit a retailer.

Initial software updates cover minor bug fixes in the infotainment system to improve the performance and functionality however further releases will include updates to your Land Rover’s Telematics system. When an update becomes available, you will receive a pop-up notification on the infotainment - you can also check for updates through the Settings Menu.

EASY TO ACTIVATE

In order to receive software updates, you will need this feature switched on in your vehicle. This can be done through the Settings Menu > Software Updates > On/Off - you'll also need to accept the terms and conditions.

HOW TO INSTALL

Depending on your connectivity, there are two ways in which your vehicle can receive the update:

Through Wi-Fi connectivity
If your vehicle is already connected to Wi-Fi, it will use your connection to download the software update prior to installation.

Through your personal SIM connectivity
If your vehicle is not connected to Wi-Fi, it will download the software through your personal SIM.

When the 'Software Update' notification appears on your screen, you have three options available:

1. Install now – this will immediately start the download in the background, so you can continue your journey uninterrupted.

2. Remind me later – the notification will pop up again after six hours.

3. Skip update – this will remove the notification completely. If you later decide you’d like to install the update, you’ll need to do this via your settings.

Once the update has installed, you’ll receive a notification at the top of your screen. Likewise, you’ll also be notified if the download has failed.

For more information regarding software updates or for general help with trouble-shooting, please get in touch and we’ll be happy to help.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

myfirst

Re: Introducing wireless software updates for your Land Rover

Post by myfirst » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:17 pm

Just had the same email... again wonder how that will work
MY19 LANDMARK DS, Coris Grey, extra USB & Service pack - awaiting delivery 8-) 8-)

Miked

Post by Miked » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:36 pm

Not sure it is going to work in the short term
I had the email and went to the vehicle
The software update option does not appear
Rang LR Cust Serv, they knew a bit about it and suggested that I try and connect via Wi-Fi..
Like you I don't have it
They have asked me to send screen shots to tech support which I have done
We will see what happens now
I have a similar car to you . If it does not have the proper software to start with their phones are going to be busy if they have sent this to every one!

Didn't bother calling my dealer first off

Will report progress
Mike
MY19 HSE Lux
Corris Grey,Auto, 5 seat + fixed spare
Detble towbar , HUD.
Previously
-MY16.5 HSE LUX, '16
Corris grey and '7+spare' fixed towbar
-Evoque Prestige '12
-FL2 '08
-FL'04
-FL'01
-FL'00

BobbyBox

Post by BobbyBox » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:32 pm

On other marks, WiFi update means you park your car near enough to pick up the WiFi signal from a nearby wireless router (eg your home broadband) and configure the car to access that network (entering SSID and WPA key). It will then use your home WiFi network to download any update. The car itself doesn’t need cellular connectivity of its own or an onboard WiFi hotspot.

Interestingly, buried away in the hidden service menu for the smaller screen sat nav (InControl touch) are similar software update settings never used. I assume this new feature is reserved for the more modern 10” widescreen display InControlTouch Pro?

BB
Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE TD4 (180) MY16, Auto, Loire Blue, Almond Interior, Adaptive Xenons, Roof Rails, Spare Wheel, flaps, privacy glass, memory pack, travall dog guard. Built Oct 2015.

Miked

Post by Miked » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:55 pm

Thanks for your reply
Could you please describe the precise steps to hook up to ones local Wi-Fi.

Also could you also decribe how you access the'secret' menu you talk of which inter alia also accesses the same portal

I have tried but failed

My first response to this question to LR was imprecise and basically useless. They finished up by saying of this instruction doesn't work, call your dealer!
Needless to say I have gone back to them but have not had a reply!

If you can help us, ..... Look forward to hearing
MY19 HSE Lux
Detble towbar , HUD.
Previously
-MY16.5 HSE LUX, '16
-Evoque Prestige '12
-FL2 '08
-FL'04
-FL'01
-FL'00

BobbyBox

Post by BobbyBox » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:50 pm

I’m sure some good folk from the forum will be along shortly who have more experience with in control touch pro system (the bigger 10” screen system) who can advise how to set this up. As it’s a new feature, you may have to wait until the info is available.
As for the hidden menu I mentioned, it applied to the smaller 8” screen (Incontrol touch system)
You access it like so:
Warning, access at your own risk this menu is for service personnel to diagnose stuff:
Media > Source > select FM or AM > then press and hold Source button for a few seconds until new menu appears.

BB
Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE TD4 (180) MY16, Auto, Loire Blue, Almond Interior, Adaptive Xenons, Roof Rails, Spare Wheel, flaps, privacy glass, memory pack, travall dog guard. Built Oct 2015.

RPR

Post by RPR » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:39 am

The software update option in the car first reared it's head after the 18C update on Incontrol Pro 10", although it's not operational.

What concerns me is how long the download will take, don't want the car running for 2+ hours while it does it and also there's always the worry that you'll brick the system.
MY18 Indus Silver HSE Black Edition 2.0 TD4 180 ICTP 825w Meridian Audio, Hi Res audio

Miked

Post by Miked » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:47 am

Thanks BB for the info on the secret menu

I got into it ok following your guide

I saw the software update tickbox section but it is greyed out.

I am not in a Wi-Fi zone just now

My system is the same as yours 8" std kit, no frills so guess it would work the same although it is a MY 19

How in your first scenario do you get the car to connect to the Wi-Fi,?
Like most Wi-Fi it has a WPA password to put in.
Surely the car does try and link to any available Wi-Fi where ever it is
How do you get the car to look for the Wi-Fi and then put the password in please?
MY19 HSE Lux
Detble towbar , HUD.
Previously
-MY16.5 HSE LUX, '16
-Evoque Prestige '12
-FL2 '08
-FL'04
-FL'01
-FL'00

Miked

Post by Miked » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:50 am

RPR
I cannot speak from experience but reading lots of info on the SOTA updates it suggests that max time is 35 mins for an update but it then works in the background so you can drive ok. So it says.
The jaguar sites seem to have more info
MY19 HSE Lux
Detble towbar , HUD.
Previously
-MY16.5 HSE LUX, '16
-Evoque Prestige '12
-FL2 '08
-FL'04
-FL'01
-FL'00

Chris b

Post by Chris b » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:50 pm

Thanks for the secret menu info - I will look at that as JLR customer experience help person (0370 5000 500) did not say WiFi connection was anything but switched on and implemented via "the system".
I was assured that the nature of each update will be apparent and can be accepted or rejected on a case by case basis. We will not be offered updates that do not apply to our individual vehicle.
19MY 2.0 HSE Manual. FIrenze+Corris roof, black headlining & grey 18" wheels
Gone:
2015 DS 2.0 HSE Manual 59k miles
2x Freelander 2 XS 09MY &13MY
G4 Discovery 2 (Tangiers Orange)
2x Discovery XS Tdi '97 Co. car then own '98

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”