Some 17MY HSEs Missing Meridian Amplifier?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Badgerface

Re: Some 17MY HSEs Missing Meridian Amplifier?

Post by Badgerface » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:01 pm

As earlier, Meridian Surround on the speaker badges indicate Black Amp/825w system, found with Entertainment Pack. Coupled with 10" ICTP system and screen.

Meridian on HSE> door speakers indicate silver amp and 315w standard system.
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

RPR

Post by RPR » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:12 pm

Woolmeister wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:36 pm
If you remove the plastic vent thing - or, like mine, wait for it to fall off - you can stick a camera phone inside and take a picture.

This is what mine looks like:

IMG_1131.png

The big round black thing towards the back of the photo is possibly a subwoofer but I cannot confirm nor deny that it is without removing the whole panel.

I seriously doubt Meridian actually manufacture the speakers anyway. They will be produced at scale in China and Meridian will stick their name on them.

Steve
The majority of the company's revenue now comes not from hi-fi products but from the contract to supply Jaguar Land Rover with audio systems for its vehicles (these systems are actually manufactured in China by a contract partner rather than by Meridian in the UK)
MY18 Indus Silver HSE Black Edition 2.0 TD4 180 ICTP/825w Meridian

Marcelus7

Post by Marcelus7 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:24 pm

This explains why my 2018 HSE sound system sounds rubbish.
I have the Meridian badges on the speakers, and this morning I actually adjusted the faders to ensure sound was coming out of all speakers, as it sounded like some weren’t connected.

I adjusted the bass up 2 settings, Mid 2 and treble 3 to get it sounding a BIT better, but the standard speaker setup in my Audi is much better sounding than this.
I had a GMC Yukon Denali with the Bose upgrade, and you could feel the air move in the cabin when you cranked it up.

Very disappointed with this, and after only 2 days of ownership I’ve had to book the car in to get the dealer to fix the wind noise/whistling from the driver’s door/window. ☹️

RPR

Post by RPR » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:52 pm

I'm happy with the Meridian Surround system, especially when it's fed 24Bit 192KHz audio files.

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:06 pm

RPR wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:52 pm
I'm happy with the Meridian Surround system, especially when it's fed 24Bit 192KHz audio files.
There is a monumental difference between the system that you and I have, versus the one that is fitted to a normal HSE/HSE Lux. It's like comparing something from Radio Shack to something from NAD. (Other high-end manufacturers are available).

Frankly, I'm amazed that Meridian allow their name to be used on such a poor system that is fitted as standard - it really does them no favours in the credibility stakes at all.

I seem to recall Bowers & Wilkins made a similar mistake with BMW about 20 years ago, and never really recovered from it.
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

RPR

Post by RPR » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:26 pm

I guess you get what you pay for.

As for B&W, fantastic kit too.

BFGDSMan

Post by BFGDSMan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:49 pm

In isolation I thought that the 315w system was very good (clearly not as good as the 825w system I had in the RRE). It sounds good but it doesn't have any surround sound functionality so lacks the ability to create depth to the sound. However, I think the sound quality depends on the source and for the radio which country you are listening in. In my experience French radio seems to be more bassey (is that a word?), Spanish radio more echoey (surround sound feeling) etc.

That said, having now sampled the 500w Burmester system in the Merc (£1000 option on UK cars but comes packaged with an upgrade to 84 Matrix LED multibeam light system - WOW!!!) even with the roof down it does show up the limitations of the LR system.
Gone: SD4 HSE, TD4 HSE Lux.

Going: TD4 HSE Lux Auto (before it falls apart)

Collected - Mercedes E220d AMG Cabriolet
Arriving Mid Oct - Mercedes E220d AMG Estate

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”