ACC retrofit

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Dee_

ACC retrofit

Post by Dee_ » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:50 am

Hi everybody, I'm wondering if someone has retofit Adaptive Cruise Control on a Disco Sport? I asked because someone wrote down the retrofit on a Disco 4 with less parts. He only installed genuine radar-sensor and the steering-wheel switch, set some commands via IID Tool and got it. It seems that the ECU has already the ACC function factory-preset.

Therefore, if a DS rada-sensor and the steering-wheel switch is installed, ECU unit re-configured, it should work. Does anyone have more information and can confirm my idea ... or detroy these. LOL!

https://www.discovery-parts.de/en/acc-a ... scovery-4/

Thanks a million for your reply!

Dashnine

Re: ACC retrofit

Post by Dashnine » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:25 pm

The main problem you'll have is telling the car that it’s fitted. There’s no third party way to update the car config, and LR and dealers won’t do it as policy.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

TheGavver

Post by TheGavver » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:53 pm

Yeah I’d be surprised too. The software the new ones run is so complicated and I don’t know anyone who can afford pathfinder which is what they now apparently need to do anything to. Be a brave person that tries it
================================
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Luxury D180
Banbury, Oxfordshire.

Dee_

Post by Dee_ » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:31 am

Well, I can't find different ECU units - only different ECU units for each horsepower variant (e.g. Diesel, 150hp / 180hp). If there is only "one" ECU unit, the ACC function must be installed but not activated. That means, if hardware as sensor and steering wheel switch is installed, the software must be switched to “active” by LR shop or IID Tool. So far the theory. I guess you are right, a LR workshop won’t active yourself plugged sensor/switch. But I’m sure, IID tool can active the ACC.

Maybe some LR workshop worker here can tell from “official ACC retrofit” actions or their opinion?

Abbott

Post by Abbott » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:51 pm

Dee_ wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:31 am
Well, I can't find different ECU units - only different ECU units for each horsepower variant (e.g. Diesel, 150hp / 180hp). If there is only "one" ECU unit, the ACC function must be installed but not activated. That means, if hardware as sensor and steering wheel switch is installed, the software must be switched to “active” by LR shop or IID Tool. So far the theory. I guess you are right, a LR workshop won’t active yourself plugged sensor/switch. But I’m sure, IID tool can active the ACC.

Maybe some LR workshop worker here can tell from “official ACC retrofit” actions or their opinion?
When you say ECU do you mean the engine ECU? My understanding is that the ACC is a function of the Crash ECU. I still have some contacts I can check if that is correct.
DS 2016 HSE

Dee_

Post by Dee_ » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:11 pm

In the link above (ACC retrofit on Disco 4) the guys wrote control units. Therefore I guess, it’s configured in more than on ECU, you might be right.

Nevertheless, the ACC is a piece of software using hardware. As far as I know, nowadays most car manufacturers roll out the whole software to the ECUs and deactivated the functions the customer hasn’t purchased. Often you find these functions in the App store of the manufacturers later and you can purchase these “services” via car app (e.g. DAB radio etc.). Therefore it’s mandatory that the whole software is available in the car.

I believe it’s much cheaper for Land Rover to roll out the whole software to the ECUs and “only” deactivated the functions the customer hasn’t purchased. If you can get the information if “the software part of ACC” is onboard by stock, that would be awesome. Of course, Land Rover never ever recommended to install ACC yourself, but a note if the software is onboard, will stir up my curiosity for these project. Thanks a million! 😉

TheGavver

Post by TheGavver » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:19 pm

What are the likely warranty implications if you retrofit non standard items at build, or hack into ecu’’s?
Banbury, Oxfordshire.

Dee_

Post by Dee_ » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:04 pm

Well, I would say that you won't hack the ECU if you activated / deactivated functions which are onboard already. It’s just an “on/off” of defined fields in the CCF (car configuration files).

If you are on manufacturer’s warranty, I wouldn’t retrofit anything. Out of warranty, you are alone on wide area without any goodwill of Land Rover (only by throwing coins in their slot machine), therefore who cares to switch functions on?

TheGavver

Post by TheGavver » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:33 pm

Yeah I suppose…….let us know how you get on.
Banbury, Oxfordshire.

BobbyBox

Post by BobbyBox » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:51 am

Dee_ wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:50 am
Hi everybody, I'm wondering if someone has retofit Adaptive Cruise Control on a Disco Sport? I asked because someone wrote down the retrofit on a Disco 4 with less parts. He only installed genuine radar-sensor and the steering-wheel switch, set some commands via IID Tool and got it. It seems that the ECU has already the ACC function factory-preset.

Therefore, if a DS rada-sensor and the steering-wheel switch is installed, ECU unit re-configured, it should work. Does anyone have more information and can confirm my idea ... or detroy these. LOL!

https://www.discovery-parts.de/en/acc-a ... scovery-4/

Thanks a million for your reply!
Hi Dee,
The age of your DS (when it was built) can also cause problems. Early editions of the DS were a complete hodge podge of software to the extent that ACC despite being in the brochure was not available until sometime later. (Anecdotally, it has been suggested that LR could not get ACC to work with the vehicle software due to incompatibilities with one of the Bosch modules on-board these early cars).
LR have also added encryption to some of the modules to prevent “user modification”.
Joking aside, it would probably be cheaper to trade in and buy a DS with it fitted at the factory than attempt a retrofit.

Good luck

BB
Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE TD4 (180) MY16, 7 seats, Auto, Loire Blue, Almond Interior, Adaptive Xenons, Roof Rails, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps, Privacy Glass, Memory Pack, Travall Dog Guard, Removable Tow Bar, Qi Wireless Charging Mat. Built Oct 2015.