CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
sbi

Re: CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Post by sbi » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:21 pm

So here are my findings on the difference between Idcore and Joyeauto units.
The devices they are using absolutely identical with only one major difference - the installed software.
Since IDcore presents itself as a European company their software less buggy and always includes some important software fixes, like the one for wireless AA.

Joyeauto is an absolutely Chinese type of company with a very low level of support. Btw all units selling on Aliexpress have Joyeauto firmware installed.
And here comes the main problem.. you can't get software updates from IDcore without emailing them your order number and unit details.

In case with Joyeauto everything is a bit simpler. Just log in to their Download Support page using joyedow password and you'll get all available updates.

Here are all passwords on Joyeauto site (got them from one bmw forum:)

Download: joyedow
Installation: joyeins
Tech Support: joyetec
User Manual: joyeauto*

McFarTech

Post by McFarTech » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:44 pm

I have a unique ad unit for sale if anyone is interested.

Moore

Post by Moore » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:16 pm

Any ideas to avoid links like these?

Cattura (2).JPG

Brixtonian

Post by Brixtonian » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:28 pm

Hi, now that my DS has turned 3 years old, I'm seriously considering this upgrade. The link kindly provided by DiscoMickey now shows as 'no longer available', but there are two other, differently priced versions which seem to be the same thing:

This one, for $392 from the Fengrunze Tech Store:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... web201603_

And this one for $311.35 from the CarSight Store:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000935 ... 159cMoDJbo

Can anyone advise whether either or both of these are the same as the versions you have installed please?

Thanks in advance.
Nick
2018 HSE

dc.robertshaw

Post by dc.robertshaw » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:21 am

Rmutchler wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:14 am
I bit the bullet and bought one from AliExpress for Christmas, on sale for $270. I did the install on my 2017 Disco Sport SE today. It took me almost 6 hours, but the Topix documents mentioned earlier helped a ton...followed to the letter...as well as pics and guidance in this thread. Realized I didn’t need to remove my touch screen as everything connects to the head unit which is behind AC controls. I took the time to run the Mic to the overhead console using the blank mic area above the SOS button...worked out perfectly. I connected the audio cables to each other in the wiring loom and then the blank audio adapter that came with kit in the Aux in center console. Dip switches I turned all off except 1 and 8...factory rear camera works perfectly. I didn’t have to cut into any wiring...all plug and play. Took it for a drive tonight and it really is AWESOME. Waze works great, Sirius XM App as well. Siri reads my texts to me and takes commands fine. Wish I would have done this a year ago....very pleased so far!
Could I ask for the link to the unit you purchased please?

dc.robertshaw

Post by dc.robertshaw » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:36 pm

Brixtonian wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:28 pm
Hi, now that my DS has turned 3 years old, I'm seriously considering this upgrade. The link kindly provided by DiscoMickey now shows as 'no longer available', but there are two other, differently priced versions which seem to be the same thing:

This one, for $392 from the Fengrunze Tech Store:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... web201603_

And this one for $311.35 from the CarSight Store:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000935 ... 159cMoDJbo

Can anyone advise whether either or both of these are the same as the versions you have installed please?

Thanks in advance.
Nick
2018 HSE
I think the ‘ours vs others’ image on the first link is the difference between the two. I guess the more expensive one is claiming to be better made with copper wire and using one board.

Rmutchler

Post by Rmutchler » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:54 am

Mine was the link from the Carsight Store. Still works fine!

Woodlore

Post by Woodlore » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:02 pm

Hi all,

I'm considering this upgrade to my recently purchased MY18 (68 plate) Disco Sport and feel pretty confident in being able to complete the upgrade with all of the help, comments, included information and pictures from this thread. So first of all, thank you everyone!

I just wanted to ask two questions before going further.

1. Has anyone tried/used/had any problems with Google Maps on this system? This is my preferred navigation tool and I've not seen mention of it so far, only Waze.

2. Can anyone completely clarify what functions are lost from the steering wheel once this has been installed?
The loss of function seems to be the biggest drawback for this upgrade and I've not seen a conclusive list as to what is or isn't still functional.

Any comments or feedback would be really appreciated, thanks! o7