CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
dbwinter

Re: CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Post by dbwinter » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:43 pm

Can anybody comment on the sound quality?

As the module has it's own Digital to Analogue Convertor, how is the sound quality when connecting via Android Auto or Apple Carplay?

Also can anybody confirm whether they have successfully been able to play a FLAC file via Android Auto (i.e. Android phone) using the USB?

cortezone

Post by cortezone » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:42 am

Yes I'm afraid it does. Oh well, I'll just have to sell it and get myself a carplay dongle, if even that'll work. :)

ikennethj

Post by ikennethj » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:40 pm

dbwinter wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:43 pm

As the module has it's own Digital to Analogue Convertor, how is the sound quality when connecting via Android Auto or Apple Carplay?

Also can anybody confirm whether they have successfully been able to play a FLAC file via Android Auto (i.e. Android phone) using the USB?
To be honest, IMO the Discovery Sport Sound System isn't the top of the range sound system so the quality is not really affected. That being said, I feel that the sound is fuller and clearer than the original radio and iPod. I am using it with TuneIn and Apple Music as I am a CarPlay user.

Sorry, I cannot comment on Android Phone.

However, one point to note. I am using the wireless feature and not via the USB cable.

ikennethj

Post by ikennethj » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:48 pm

cortezone wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:42 am
Yes I'm afraid it does. Oh well, I'll just have to sell it and get myself a carplay dongle, if even that'll work. :)
You might want to note that your Entertainment Unit needs to have the native CarPlay feature/software before the CarPlay dongle can work. I am assuming you are referring to the CarPlay dongle in the banner ADs. The ADs are a little misleading. The dongle just enable people with CarPlay feature/software but had no wireless connectivity (these happened in the carmakers who where early adopters to Apple CarPlay that required the iPhone to be plugged in to the car's USB port to activate CarPlay. The dongle just allows the unit to be activated/communicate wireless instead of having to plug in the USB cable (lightning cable).

I hope what I am trying to say make sense to you.

sbi

Post by sbi » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:53 pm

dbwinter wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:43 pm

If you mean the audio quality via IDcore or Joyauto AndroidAuto/Carplay devices then the sound quality is much better via original LR box (USB or Bluetooth). At least with Meridian system.
The AUX which is used in CarPlay/AA aftermarket interface has lower sound quality but it can read FLAC files which are useless since you can't get all FLAC advantages via AUX.

sbi

Post by sbi » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:02 pm

Btw here is brief installation guide on how to connect digital video interface from aliexpress

41048 (1000×709).jpg

Moore

Post by Moore » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:07 pm

Good evening.
Do you think it is possible to connect the USB cable under the central tunnel (via an adapter) to the original socket I have in the cup holder?
Another question: has anyone fixed the microphone to the side of the original one near the rearview mirror?
Thank you

sbi

Post by sbi » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:11 pm

Moore wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:07 pm
Good evening.
Do you think it is possible to connect the USB cable under the central tunnel (via an adapter) to the original socket I have in the cup holder?
Another question: has anyone fixed the microphone to the side of the original one near the rearview mirror?
Thank you
Well, it's certainly possible but you'll lose your USB input to the LR head unit.
Actually, I installed IDcore mic near the stock one. There is an extra mounting place

Screenshot_101.png

Moore

Post by Moore » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:28 am

It would be the usb socket for charging (between the cup holders), not the audio one (in the armrest)... What kind of adapter should I buy?
So can you confirm that the microphone wire is long enough to pass into the passenger side pillar?
Thank you for your reply.

Moore

Post by Moore » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:43 pm

Ops... Another doubt. Is it possible to use a Y-cable for the AUX socket to use alternately the Android / Car Play and LR system?