Android Auto / GPX waypoints

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
tseug

Android Auto / GPX waypoints

Post by tseug » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:11 pm

Any Android Auto experts out there? I've never used it as for the most part I detest gargoyle and it's data harvesting.

However, as LR refuse to give us a way to input our own POI files (except one at a time as 'favourites' within the satnav that aren't seachable as POIs), will software such as GPX Viewer work with Auto to accomplish the same thing?
Seems a bit OTT to install a deicated microPC and screen when the car already has a reasonable sized screen but perhaps thge old solutions are still the best.
MY2018, D240, HSE Dynamic, Indus Silver, ICTP S20B1_20.30.2-, Map -.0112.0153

sandbox

Re: Android Auto / GPX waypoints

Post by sandbox » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:05 pm

I have never tried this, but I wonder if you can add a POI file to the SD card. I think there is a POI folder. I think you have to provide an MD5 hash though so that could scupper this...
If you are going to play around, I would take a backup copy first.

While you are at it, you can speed up the SavNav with a class 10 SD card. I use a Mac so used Disk Utility to take a complete image (clone) of the SD card and then restored it to a new class 10 SD card. The main speed improvement I see is loading, inputing postcodes and then calculating the route. I also like to have a backup!
2016 D180 Auto

RPR

Post by RPR » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:48 pm

Don't have an SD card in my vehicle.

Not really messed around with POI's, I kno you can import them in Sygic which runs in Android Auto and is a pretty decent app.
MY18 Indus Silver HSE Black Edition 2.0 TD4 180 ICTP 825w Meridian Audio, Hi Res audio

tseug

Post by tseug » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:30 pm

Thanks for the replies

sandbox - no interest in hacking the system (maybe if it was SD-card based I would have done)
rpr - using copilot/sygic/tomtom etc would be a way to do it (though gargoyle doesn't show any of them working with auto despite press releases which suggest they do). Somewhat OTT and extra expense adding extra satnav system when navigation isn't the aim. The OS application would be a good choice due to far better mapping.

sandbox

Post by sandbox » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:37 am

Sorry I assumed you were incontrol touch. A quick google search highlighted that there are ways to do it with the HDD based system over USB. I don’t have that system so can’t help.
2016 D180 Auto

RPR

Post by RPR » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:52 am

tseug wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:30 pm
Thanks for the replies

sandbox - no interest in hacking the system (maybe if it was SD-card based I would have done)
rpr - using copilot/sygic/tomtom etc would be a way to do it (though gargoyle doesn't show any of them working with auto despite press releases which suggest they do). Somewhat OTT and extra expense adding extra satnav system when navigation isn't the aim. The OS application would be a good choice due to far better mapping.
Sygic does work with Android Auto, I know as I've got it. Ensure it's Sygic Car Navigation app rather than just Sygic app
MY18 Indus Silver HSE Black Edition 2.0 TD4 180 ICTP 825w Meridian Audio, Hi Res audio

tseug

Post by tseug » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:33 pm

RPR wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:52 am
tseug wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:30 pm
rpr - using copilot/sygic/tomtom etc would be a way to do it (though gargoyle doesn't show any of them working with auto despite press releases which suggest they do).
Sygic does work with Android Auto, I know as I've got it. Ensure it's Sygic Car Navigation app rather than just Sygic app
My observation was that google don't show copilot/sygic/tomtom in their full list of apps which make use of and are approved to use the auto subsystem. I'm well aware that all three will do so. Adding an extra satnav component is not worthwhile - it adds expense, it adds complexity, the car has satnav capability already.

GPX Viewer is a viewer for GPX files and has a convenient configurable proximity alarm. I already use it on my phone (which also has access to Mastermap should I want detailed mapping). I don't use android auto (in all honesty I thought google would have abandoned it before now as it wasn't generating enough revenue). I'd consider using it IF it would give a simple way to access thousands of POIs in a a useful format and thus removed the necessity of the phone screen.

RPR

Post by RPR » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:48 am

So what are these POI's your wanting to add then?

Can you not maybe use Google Maps or are you dead set against Android. Maybe the fruit opposition do something, I wouldn't know as I don't like them :lol:

tseug

Post by tseug » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:03 am

RPR wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:48 am
So what are these POI's your wanting to add then?

Can you not maybe use Google Maps or are you dead set against Android. Maybe the fruit opposition do something, I wouldn't know as I don't like them :lol:
They are things of interest and fall into several catagories...just rarely near roads.

I use de-googled android and would much rather that than greenfruit. If I had to use the auto branch of android I'd have little choice but to accept some of the insidious behaviour on the car.

Maybe it's time to rip the dashboard out and see what inputs/outputs are actually available with the onboard system.

RPR

Post by RPR » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:20 pm

Seems a bit drastic just for some POI's.