DIY Dashcam Installation !

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
wardie

Re: DIY Dashcam Installation !

Post by wardie » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:56 pm

PaulCP wrote:Thinkware & Blackvue incorporate a cut off sensor when battery reaches a certain level of discharge, usually around 12.2v

Don’t know about the Nextbase but it’s unlikely that any will function for 2 weeks before the cut off limit is reached, such is the normal rate of drain on modern cars
You’ll defo need a separate inline battery pack to make it last like 2 weeks with engine off. See Blackvue website for examples.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gone: MY16 2.0 TD4 180 HSE Auto, Corris grey, ebony leather, 19" style 902, detachable tow bar, silver roof rails, memory seats, InControl plus & secure, traffic sign recognition, HomeLink, USBs passenger shelf & 2nd row, service plan

DiscoSportDave

Post by DiscoSportDave » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:15 pm

wardie wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:56 pm
PaulCP wrote:Thinkware & Blackvue incorporate a cut off sensor when battery reaches a certain level of discharge, usually around 12.2v

Don’t know about the Nextbase but it’s unlikely that any will function for 2 weeks before the cut off limit is reached, such is the normal rate of drain on modern cars
You’ll defo need a separate inline battery pack to make it last like 2 weeks with engine off. See Blackvue website for examples.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks.

Picked up the hardwire kit from local Argos today, an hour later it’s installed - just need the actual camera to arrive now !
MY19 Landmark - Narvik Black, Traffic Sign Recognition, Reduced Spare Wheel, Alloy Pedals

DiscoSportDave

Post by DiscoSportDave » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:20 pm

All done, used fuse 53 and the earth went to the tipper torx30 bolts behind the dash side panel - this also gave plenty of space to tuck the excess cable and the inline box behind the glovebox.

Thanks all for the guides
MY19 Landmark - Narvik Black, Traffic Sign Recognition, Reduced Spare Wheel, Alloy Pedals

HairyWoofer

Post by HairyWoofer » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:20 am

Has anyone install a concealed dash cam? There are some available which replace the lower cover of the rear view mirror. Dash cam itself is a bit crude, but seems to offer the basics required (overwrite, impact locking, parking mode, etc). You connect to it over WiFi (Android or iOS app) to configure / view and a removable SD Card if you need to save footage. Are they any good?

DiscoSportDave

Post by DiscoSportDave » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:37 am

Can't answer the query directly , but my Nextbase is pretty discreet and certainly not obvious from outside the vehicle - if anyone is looking to steal dashcams I think they's be looking for any sort of lens/camera.

HairyWoofer

Post by HairyWoofer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:59 pm

Took the plunge and ordered this from Aliexpress ...

03D1F24D-0A12-411D-AE0A-F6DD33AE80DC.jpeg

Jabriel Wifi Hidden 1080P Car DVR Dash Cam Camera for Land Rover discovery sport
... I’ll let you all know how I get on!

Burnerg81

Post by Burnerg81 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:34 pm

Installed it myself today (next gen 312). For anyone else who's doing this.

1. It's really easy. Anyone can do it even if you have no DIY experience
2. You may want to place the camera as high up as possible but it actually needs to be down a little so the lens doenst pick up the rear view mirror
3. It's worth spending 99p on a trim removal tool to push the cable into the car trim
4. To reconfirm it's fuse 52 - I've a 2015 model

Thanks to everyone who's documented their experience.

wgafa

Post by wgafa » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:43 pm

Thank you for posting this. Very helpful.
DS MY16 HSE 180 Aintree Green

VJI989

Post by VJI989 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:42 pm

Hi there, wonder if anyone can aid me. I have a 2017 disco sport hse and have purchased a nextbase 522gw and hardwire kit.

I've encountered an issue with the mini fuse adapter that it does not fit into slot 55 of the glove compartment fusebox. 55 is the passenger 12v which won't get a lot of useage.

I can't force the fuse in so what am I meant to do? As far as I know I've followed the instructions on this thread but it doesn't seem to be an issue for anyone else? What am I doing wrong? Thanks

VJI989

Post by VJI989 » Wed May 20, 2020 4:33 pm

So I've found this in another thread ;

But I've tried putting the fuse adaptor into the slot I want to use (55 - rear passenger cig lighter) but I can't for the life of me get it in. It's tricky and feels like the hole is not big enough, and Nextbase customer support suggest trying to be more firm.

I just need someone who had an easier time with the kit and installation to tell me they pushed super hard and it's all working because otherwise I'm at a loss.