CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Karper

Re: CarPlay aftermarket - anyone tried this?

Post by Karper » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:53 pm

davep1628 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:47 pm

I've been really pleased with mine so far, I've been using it for a few months now. The only problem I have is that sometimes it doesn't connect wirelessly and I have to connect it with a lightning cable (not a big deal, but slightly annoying).

For SatNav, I used to use TomTom Go on my iPhone, but the CarPlay interface for it is missing most if the useful information, so I have now switched to Waze.

For music, I tend to use the Apple Podcast app, which works really well, I sometimes use the Planet Rock app too, as I'm an ageing rocker at heart :D

For phone calls, I use CarPlay, rather than the LR Bluetooth interface, again the CarPlay telephone interface is much better than the standard Land Rover one.

Dave
I was just looking up good apps to use so thanks for the tips. I already have Waze installed so I will most likely use that over Apple Maps. I haven't tried it yet, but I use Pocketcasts for my podcasts, and they have a CarPlay app.

I'll see how mine goes with wireless connection - could you also turn off/on bluetooth and wifi to fix it?

When I hop in the car next I will adjust the brightness settings as I find it a little bright at whatever the current setting is at.

Jacobg

Post by Jacobg » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:11 pm

Hi Karper,

Could you share the link to the aliexpress version you bought?

Does all of your steering wheel buttons work? I get the impression from the Joyeauto that all buttons, including skip, will work.

https://www.joyeauto.com/land-rover-dis ... -solution/

And there seems to be a mirror iphone option.

Dave, does your Unique AD version have this?

Grateful for all replies.
Discovery Sport 2,0 HSE TD4 (180) 2017

Karper

Post by Karper » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:17 pm

I believe this was it https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4000349522597.html

No, like others only volume works on stereo while using CarPlay. I haven’t looked for a mirror option, maybe tomorrow I’ll check.

Karper

Post by Karper » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:20 am

I mean only volume works on the steering wheel.

Jacobg

Post by Jacobg » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:33 am

Thank you for sharing!

Anything that seems to be different from the Unique AD-version?

Karper

Post by Karper » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:18 am

Obviously with the Unique AD version you are paying for UK service/support.

Mine appears identical to it physically, and the packaging appears identical to one posted earlier from JoyeAuto. Apart from no JoyeAuto branding. Functionally, I've only used mine, but from what I've read it appears to function the same.

Jacobg

Post by Jacobg » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:31 am

Just ordered the same from Aliexpress.

They claim it’s the same product as Joyeauto.

They also say that iPhone can be mirrored to the car screen, showing any app.

Good price!

BobbyBox

Post by BobbyBox » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:52 pm

BobbyBox wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:08 pm
My car is a MY17 car, first registered in December 2016. I didn't need to connect anything to wiring at the rear of the car, it was all just plug'n'play at the audio head unit.

Dave.
[/quote]

Aah, so you have the new design instrument cluster (better graphics and 'flat' dials)? It must be a limitation of the MY16 and earlier vehicles that have different wiring.

So anyone got the instructions?

Thanks

BB
[/quote]

Bump!
Anyone got the extra page of instructions for MY16 vehicles please?

BB
Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE TD4 (180) MY16, Auto, Loire Blue, Almond Interior, Adaptive Xenons, Roof Rails, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps, Privacy Glass, Memory Pack, Travall Dog Guard, Removable Tow Bar, Qi Wireless Charging Mat. Built Oct 2015.

Karper

Post by Karper » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:22 am

I've been using it for a few days now, no large road trips but I have to say it was easily worth the purchase. Having Waze for mapping is much nicer, previously we would use the built in navigation but my partner would always have to double check via google maps or Waze to make sure it wasn't taking us on an incorrect route or because of the older map data, it might miss out on new roads.

It is also working really well for music. With the built in infotainment, it would often drop the bluetooth connection and switch to radio. CarPlay just seems to work every time wirelessly.

The wireless CarPlay connects very quickly and resumes whatever I had on last. No need to switch to CarPlay each time. The only behaviour I've had to change, was that when I park at home I would tap the camera button to make sure I was in an exact parking spot (to be generous for the older neighbours to parallel park). Although the reverse camera comes in when you switch to reverse it won't if you are in CarPlay and are not in reverse and just tap the camera button. Now I just turn the gear to reverse to see, no big deal.

I really haven't explored anything else you can do with this module. I guess it is a full android box. I'd rather not tamper with it though!

DiscoM

Post by DiscoM » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:25 pm

Have there been any recent updates to the Joyeauto firmware? I tried to check on their site but it seems down at the moment.