Car Qi wireless phone charger attempted install.

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Ekmav55

Car Qi wireless phone charger attempted install.

Post by Ekmav55 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:25 pm

Evening all
Am trying to fit a wireless phone charger. It’s meant to connect to the lead that feeds the 5V charger next to the cup holders, but has come with a very different connector. Has any wise LR owner ever come across the other connector and does anyone know if I would find an adapter anywhere please?
Top two images are the connector on the car, bottom two are the connectors on the phone charger.
Many thanks
Dave

B8051EBD-91A7-471D-9548-ACE5A5518F85.jpeg

Audiohead

Re: Car Qi wireless phone charger attempted install.

Post by Audiohead » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:45 pm

Hi Dave,

how did you get on with this?

Im thinking of getting one of these and installing it in my DS Sport. My local LR dealer tells me that there is a LR part number for this charger but no price yet so not available to order. I may wait a while to see if the LR approved version materialises but if that takes too long I will go for the aftermarket one.
Be great to get your view if you managed to get it installed.
Regards - Gerald

mwknox@mail.com

Post by mwknox@mail.com » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:03 pm

I've done this and have it installed in mine now.

The instructions from the manufacturer are a nightmare.... there are none.

What they dont tell you is that you need to remove the four screws holding the cupholder box in place. Take that out and then use the cable to plug into the USB socket there. The cable is quite nice actually as it inserts completely inbetween the cables you need.

I've put some photos on here: [url]https://photos.app.goo.gl/4ti9Lk7SPT59yiLY8[/url]

dghdgh

Post by dghdgh » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:11 pm

Hi I am getting an invalid link showing on the url you have posted with the pics.

mwknox@mail.com

Post by mwknox@mail.com » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:07 pm

Sorry, try this one... [url] https://share.icloud.com/photos/0bzKnqZ9hm8WaWor-_bcQGl2w#Lutry[/url]

BobbyBox

Post by BobbyBox » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:44 pm

looks like an interesting install.

What part are you fitting in the pictures? Is it an aftermarket item or an LR part? (if so whats the part no)
Also In the photo series I cant see the one that actually shows the wires from the charging pad connected to the car wiring. Can you show it?

Kind Regards
BB
Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE TD4 (180) MY16, Auto, Loire Blue, Almond Interior, Adaptive Xenons, Roof Rails, Spare Wheel, flaps, privacy glass, memory pack, travall dog guard. Built Oct 2015.

BobbyBox

Post by BobbyBox » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:57 pm

looks like an interesting install.

What part are you fitting in the pictures? Is it an aftermarket item or an LR part? (if so whats the part no) or is it this item:
[url]https://www.carqiwireless.com/products/wireless-charger-for-land-rover-discovery-sport[/url]
Also In the photo series I cant see the one that actually shows the wires from the charging pad connected to the car wiring. Can you show it?

Kind Regards
BB
Discovery Sport 2.0 HSE TD4 (180) MY16, Auto, Loire Blue, Almond Interior, Adaptive Xenons, Roof Rails, Spare Wheel, flaps, privacy glass, memory pack, travall dog guard. Built Oct 2015.

mwknox@mail.com

Post by mwknox@mail.com » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:07 am

Its an aftermarket part. I dont know if there is a LR official one. Its the same as the one from Car Qi.

the one showing it connected to the car wiring is this one:

You unplug the 3pin wire going into the 5v USB from underneath and then insert the cable provided with the Qi charger there. It fits inbetween so basically it just connects the power from the car to the usb socket and then runs off a small cable to power the Qi charger. Once its installed its all quite nice.

mwknox@mail.com

Post by mwknox@mail.com » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:17 am

If you unscrew the cupholder and USB charger box (4 screws one in each corner):

Then you get access to the plug here:

Then you can install the cable provided with the Qi charger:

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”