Discovery Sport Forum banner

<t>At what mileage was the first service performed (or will be required) on your 2.0 L DIESEL DS ?</

• <t>A - First service was performed or will be required at 0 to 4199 miles (0 to 6756 km)</t>

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • <t>B - First service was performed or will be required 4200 to 6299 miles (6757 to 10137 km)</t>

Votes: 30 15.0%
  • <t>C - First service was performed or will be required 6300 to 8399 miles (10138 to 13516 km)</t>

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • <t>D - First service was performed or will be required 8400 to 10499 miles (13517 to 16896 km)</t>

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • <t>E - First service was performed or will be required 10500 to 12599 miles (16897 to 20276 km)</t>

Votes: 20 10.0%
  • <t>F - First service was performed or will be required 12600 to 14699 miles (20277 to 23655 km)</t>

• <t>G - First service was performed or will be required 14700 to 16799 miles (22656 to 27037 km)</t>

• <t>H - First service was performed or will be required 16800 to 18899 miles (27038 to 30415 km)</t>

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • <t>J - First service was performed or will be required 18900 to 20999 miles (30416 to 33794 km)</t>

Votes: 14 7.0%
  • <t>K - First service was performed >= 21000 miles - estimated diesel dilution % was not known</t>

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • <t>L - First service was performed >= 21000 miles - estimated diesel dilution % < 6.1%</t>

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • <t>M - First service was performed >= 21000 miles - estimated diesel dilution % >= 6.1%</t>

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • <t>N - First service was performed after 24 months</t>

Votes: 5 2.5%

SERVICE POLL - UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS

85K views 126 replies 36 participants last post by  Google[Bot] 
#1 ·
SERVICE INTERVAL POST - INSTRUCTIONS
=================================

:?: If you have already had the first service use the mileage at which the service message appeared, NOT the mileage the service was performed at. Go to the top of the thread and locate your answer from A) to J) - these are A) 0 to 20% of the claimed service interval and then B) to J) 10% increments all the way up to 21000 miles. If, like me, you used oil sampling to determine the mileage when the service was required, use the mileage at the time the sample was taken.

:?: If you have NOT had the first service and your total mileage is 5000 or more please add your current mileage to the Oil Service mileage in Next Service which you'll find in Vehicle Information when the Ignition is ON but the engine is OFF. Now go to the top of the thread and vote for an answer from A) to J).

:?: If you have NOT had the first service and your total mileage is less than 5000 please read the Oil Service mileage in Next Service which you'll find in Vehicle Information when the Ignition is ON but the engine is OFF. Now correct this Oil Service mileage by working out how many miles you have already "lost" and adjust the estimated mileage to predict what the situation is going to be when you have actually completed 5000 miles. For example:

Say I have done 3,000 miles and the Oil Service indication shows 15000 then, without a correction, 15,000 + 3,000 = 18,000, so I would vote "H - First service was performed or will be required 16800 to 18899 miles (27038 to 30415 km)". But this would be misleading because the car will not make it to 18,000 miles before the service is required due to the fact that the Oil Service mileage is reducing faster than the miles are being driven. An adjustment is necessary. Make the adjustment as follows:

Miles Driven = 3000
Service Miles Lost = 6000
Ratio of Service Miles Lost / Miles Driven = 6000 / 3000 = 2.0
Forecast Miles Lost for next 2000 Miles Driven (to get to 5000) = 2000 x <COLOR color="#4040BF">2.0 = 4000
</COLOR>
============================================================
Mileage to Vote = 5000 + (15000 - 4000) = 16000
Now go to the top of the thread and with the adjusted Oil Service mileage vote for an answer from A) to J).

:?: If you had the first service at or above 21,000 miles or after 2 years go to the top of the thread and choose an answer from K to N.

See less See more
#2 ·
VDS sorry if this is the incorrect place to post this, but I took photo of my car on day 1 when it had done 35 miles and the oil service was due in 19,850 miles. I've taken another photo yesterday (431 miles) and the oil service is still due in 19,850 miles. So, it hasn't ever started at 21,000. The ad blue hasn't changed either (8326 miles)

So how do you want me to do the calculation?

#3 ·
How do I change my vote now you've updated the instructions?

Steve

#5 ·
OT76 said:
VDS sorry if this is the incorrect place to post this, but I took photo of my car on day 1 when it had done 35 miles and the oil service was due in 19,850 miles. I've taken another photo yesterday (431 miles) and the oil service is still due in 19,850 miles. So, it hasn't ever started at 21,000. The ad blue hasn't changed either (8326 miles)

So how do you want me to do the calculation?
I think use the same formula. If you kept running the same calculation every day, the result would initially gradually increase until the 19850 finally starts ticking down . From that point it will give you your best estimate and be reasonably accurate until it reaches zero. For guys with 5000+ miles the car's straight calculation is enough for the purposes of the poll so no need to do the adjustment. Not perfect science, but neither is the DS's own logic.

Miles Driven = 431
Service Miles Lost = 1150
Ratio of Service Miles Lost / Miles Driven = 1150 / 430 = 2.67
Forecast Miles Lost for next 3850 Miles Driven (to get to 5000) = 3850 x 2.67 = 10279
Mileage to Vote = 431 + (19850 - 10279) = 10002
Now go to the top of the thread and with the adjusted Oil Service mileage vote for an answer from A) to J).

#6 ·
:?: If you have already had the first service use the mileage at which the service message appeared, NOT the mileage the service was performed at. Go to the top of the thread and locate your answer from A) to J) - these are A) 0 to 20% of the claimed service interval and then B) to J) 10% increments all the way up to 21000 miles. If, like me, you used oil sampling to determine the mileage when the service was required, use the mileage at the time the sample was taken.
Just spotted another couple of anomalies which need to be included to keep the data as accurate as possible.

:?: If you had the message but the dealer failed to do the oil change at that time and said it was due to a software error (or similar) then use the mileage when you first had the service message. Ignore any later readings in the "Oil Service" display when the service was finally performed, e.g. lewisadam.

:?: If the service was performed at 2 years or close to 21000 miles and the updates (Q627, N010 & N020) weren't installed (i.e. dilution was not being monitored), please don't vote. Ditto if you don't know whether the updates were installed or not or have no idea what this means.

Sorry for all the exceptions that I didn't foresee. :oops:

#7 ·
So 77% of cars require an oil change before 12599 miles.
That's quite shocking to be honest.

#8 ·
Barnsh said:
So 77% of cars require an oil change before 12599 miles.
That's quite shocking to be honest.
So, don't let anyone tell you this is about "driving style".

Are they seriously saying 8/10 drivers are using the wrong driving style? No way.

What the poll is saying is that 8 out of 10 owners bought the Wrong Frickin' Car!

#10 ·
I fully agree it's not driving style JLR have admitted their oversight in hardware and architecture design, so I don't think it says we bought the wrong car, I think it says quite clearly the car simply does not do what it said on the (tin) sales information provided to us.
It shows a complete lack of testing in real world situations.

That also comes under trading standards as false representation of goods.

G
#12 ·
Barnsh said:
It shows a complete lack of testing in real world situations.
That's more or less exactly what the service guy meant when we questioned the situation when ours first went in for the oil change. His words were "LR are using customers to do their development work for them"

Unfortunately he's not there any more so I guess he must have known he was leaving when making the comment. His comment may have been more of frustration with having to deal with all of the issues rather than something he categorically knew. After all he was "customer facing" rather than LR and CRC on here who are "customer hiding"

#13 ·
I nearly didn't get the oil changed because the service dept manager said it couldn't be right at 12500 km. I printed out the SCN and showed it to him, he claimed he hadn't seen it then miraculously found it on his computer. How manhy others I wonder have there been like that. Thanks for all the hard work.
George.

#14 ·
Here, here!

What would we do without this forum?

Fantastic information ;)

#15 ·
Chippy said:
Not admissible for any kind of statistical analysis I'm afraid but the message is probably still clear. Good luck anyway.
Actually I do have a small spreadsheet that I'm using to track this statistically. Ignoring any vehicle that sailed straight through to 24 months or 21,000 miles without triggering the service warning (because it starts at 19850) we get:

View attachment 238

I've used the histogram mean method to obtain 1 S.D. and divided the squares using S=46 rather than sigma.
It's not rocket science but I think it'll do for the purpose it was intended for.

Attachments

#17 ·
[/quote]

His words were "LR are using customers to do their development work for them"

[/quote]

This is not as uncommon as you may think in lots of industries not just automotive manufacture.

#18 ·
7/10 require a service before 12600 miles.
6/10 don't even get half-way to what was sold.

I'm going to keep quoting these numbers to anyone who still maintains there's no problem...
"Ah but that's not a representative sample"
Show me your evidence to the contrary then,,,
"But we said it was always subject to driving style"
Nothing has changed in terms of driving styles in the general population...
We pointed it out in the Handbook
But not in the Sales Brochure or the Web site...
There's nothing wrong with the DPF regeneration
But is it not "higher than expected" meaning the calculations were wrong?
Not to my knowledge
Do you actually read any of the internal memos that affect customer service?

&c, &c

#19 ·
With 96,000 DS's sold this year to date, less than 50 is not a representative sample, especially as this place has more than its fair share of disgruntled customers with problems.

#20 ·
HamsterWheel said:
With 96,000 DS's sold this year to date, less than 50 is not a representative sample, especially as this place has more than its fair share of disgruntled customers with problems.
But in the case of early service indication the issue is not subjective , it either needs an early service or it doesn't. Doesn't matter if your disgruntled or not it's fact.

#21 ·
True, this forum only represents a tiny minority of owners as most aren't aware.

I suggested to my Discovery Sport owning neighbour a few weeks ago as his MY16 vehicle (having done 13,000 miles) had never been back to the dealers there would more than likey be "work needed" - and explained the 'oil' situation.

I ran his VIN through TOPIx and found numerous outstanding items.
He took my advice and asked the dealers to check things out. He decided not to mention a likely oil change to see how they handled it - at least his dealers (Harwoods) were on the ball and let him know they had also carried out a FOC oil and filter change :)

But as things were going he would have kept driving to 21,000 miles or two years as he wasn't receiving service required messages...

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Font

Attachments

#23 ·
HmmmUK said:
But as things were going he would have kept driving to 21,000 miles or two years as he wasn't receiving service required messages...
I also found out by a chance conversation that my car needed its oil changing. Did I miss the Crystal Ball Upgrade Pack or something? Definately should have bought a Mercedes :(

#24 ·
HmmmUK said:
True, this forum only represents a tiny minority of owners as most aren't aware.

I suggested to my Discovery Sport owning neighbour a few weeks ago as his MY16 vehicle (having done 13,000 miles) had never been back to the dealers there would more than likey be "work needed" - and explained the 'oil' situation.

I ran his VIN through TOPIx and found numerous outstanding items.
He took my advice and asked the dealers to check things out. He decided not to mention a likely oil change to see how they handled it - at least his dealers (Harwoods) were on the ball and let him know they had also carried out a FOC oil and filter change :)

ds-topix.jpg
This is how JLR are keeping the costs down, they would rather all the MY16 without the warning message just knackered their engines.
There should be a recall for this to get the message working.

#26 ·
The result I posted does not reflect what happened to me. I got the onscreen instruction that a service was required around 14,000 miles (I think), took it to the garage and told it is a software problem, ignore it and to bring it back at 21,000 which I did. This has since happened again. After the 21,000 miles service I get a warning at 28,000 'Service Required' and have been told to ignore it by the dealer. Very disappointing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.