INGENIUM 2.0 DIESEL OIL ANALYSIS RESULTS

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Woolmeister

Re: INGENIUM 2.0 DIESEL OIL ANALYSIS RESULTS

Post by Woolmeister » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:29 pm

Latest oil analysis results from Millers just in.

Mileage on this oil sample is only 5,428 with a total mileage of 22,400 miles at the time of sampling. Note that my oil and filter was first changed at 16,972 miles. It's going back to the dealers on Tuesday for various other things and I will present them with this Oil Analysis Report and see where they want to take it. Iron still seems high to me.

Oil_Analysis2.png

Steve
17MY HSE Auto 180 in Carpathian Grey with Ebony Leather, Privacy Glass, Roof Rails, and Row 2 USB.
Stereophonic B Pillar Ticking (No Cost Option) and a horrendous auto box.
DISCO3.CO.UK Member - Trying a DS for a while - Meh
MINI Cooper D Convertible

PaulCP

Post by PaulCP » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:56 pm

Slight diversion but I still have a 2 sample kits left so I intend to take a sample of the Lexus oil after 5000miles & 10,000 miles just to compare all of the analysis of wear metal particles against my DS sample at similar oil mileage but less total road miles.
Now: Lexus RX 450h F Sport + Premier Pack
GONE Jan 2018:- HSE Lux Firenze Red (MY17), Ivory Interior, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Headlights, Surround Cameras,

Previous: Range Rover Sport HSE Black Edn, Ipanema Sand

charisme1

Post by charisme1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:14 pm

Woolmeister wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:29 pm
Latest oil analysis results from Millers just in.

Mileage on this oil sample is only 5,428 with a total mileage of 22,400 miles at the time of sampling. Note that my oil and filter was first changed at 16,972 miles. It's going back to the dealers on Tuesday for various other things and I will present them with this Oil Analysis Report and see where they want to take it. Iron still seems high to me.

Oil_Analysis2.png

Steve
Bonjour Steve,

At 5428 miles , the oïl dilution of your sample shows only 1.5 % and not 7%, so why it's no good ?

Thanks

Julien
MY17 -TD4 Diesel Ingenium - Automatic transmission - Privacy glass - Business Pack - Leather steering wheel
18" wheel rims - Front and rear parking aids - Auto lights and wipers - fog lights - Cruise control - Fuji White

Woolmeister

Post by Woolmeister » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:23 am

Bonjour Julien,

I replied over in the "Service Interval" thread, just to keep this one tidy.

Cordialement,

Steve
17MY HSE Auto 180 in Carpathian Grey with Ebony Leather, Privacy Glass, Roof Rails, and Row 2 USB.
Stereophonic B Pillar Ticking (No Cost Option) and a horrendous auto box.
DISCO3.CO.UK Member - Trying a DS for a while - Meh
MINI Cooper D Convertible

Plumpton

Post by Plumpton » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:24 pm

Results just in, fuel dilution has gone from 0% at 2004 miles to 2% at 7430 (same oil) and iron levels up. Will see what the dealer has to say, oil service counter currently down to 2350:

Disco Oil Report 07.02.18 Final.jpg

DS SE Tech 180 Auto June MY17, Yulong White, roof rails, det tow bar, service pack :)

dsaus

Post by dsaus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:13 am

Taken at 11600 km (approx)
I got a courtesy call from the labatory this afternoon telling me i should not drive the car (that was before i got the test result in the email)
He also said he had done more DS sports oil tests than he can remember and said most come back with a fail.

357472- ENGINE.jpg

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:29 pm

My concern with these charts (aside from the dilution value), is that whether the dilution is 1% or 7%, the iron and silicon levels in the tested oil are simply too high. Just about every report that Millers do tells the same story - are we missing something bigger here? Is the oil simply not up to scratch, or is the engine wearing out rapidly and significantly internally? I have been following this thread with interest, and these high levels are now more important than the actual dilution. It makes me wonder what trouble is being stored up for the future frankly.
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

Mamil

Post by Mamil » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi dsaus, there's something wrong with the oil density calcs.

If your engine is the 2.0 Ingenium you'll have Castrol Edge Professional 0W30 in there.

According to Castrol's data sheet this has a viscosity of 51@ 40C, and 9.52 @ 100C. So your measured results of 41.04 and 8.17 respectively aren't actually that far out of whack.

However, you can see from the "Oil Name" field top left they seemingly don't know what oil you have, as it should have the brand and grade of oil listed there. Did you tell them when you sent the sample? Although you could argue that if they've done so many DSs they should know what oil is in there :roll:

Instead it looks like they've used some random viscosity figures of 109 and 0 instead of the real ones for your oil, and that's why they are saying it's 60% variance and out of spec, whereas it's actually only 20% variance @ 40C and within their "caution" range (above 10% but less than 30%)

I suggest you go back to Techenomics and point this out and get them to re-run the report using the correct viscosity numbers for your oil.

Of course this doesn't stop the problem of high wear metals or fuel dilution, but at least your oil isn't out of spec :D

PS: I've had some issues with Techenomics in the past and found a carefully worded email to the MD Chris Adsett c.adsett@techenomics.com gets a swift and helpful response ;)
SE TD4, MY 2016.5, 110kw/150bhp 2.2 PSA Engine, Fuji White/Ebony, Oz towbar, xenon pack. Delivered 25th June 2016, Perth Western Australia.

Mamil

Post by Mamil » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:47 pm

Badgerface wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:29 pm
My concern with these charts (aside from the dilution value), is that whether the dilution is 1% or 7%, the iron and silicon levels in the tested oil are simply too high. Just about every report that Millers do tells the same story - are we missing something bigger here? Is the oil simply not up to scratch, or is the engine wearing out rapidly and significantly internally? I have been following this thread with interest, and these high levels are now more important than the actual dilution. It makes me wonder what trouble is being stored up for the future frankly.
Precisely, having diesel in the oil isn't itself the problem, and in fact diesel oil is quite an effective lubricant, though not as good as properly formulated synthetic oil obviously. But, it is the cause, and high engine wear is the effect, and the ultimate end result is premature engine failure (as admitted by LR themselves). The solution is to stop the diesel getting in there, or change the oil more often.

Unfortunately, we got caught in a perfect storm of LR introducing a new and unproven engine, at the same time as stretching out the service intervals by double, just when a seeming design error with the DPF system meant more diesel was getting into the oil :roll:
SE TD4, MY 2016.5, 110kw/150bhp 2.2 PSA Engine, Fuji White/Ebony, Oz towbar, xenon pack. Delivered 25th June 2016, Perth Western Australia.

D3GGY

Post by D3GGY » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:52 am

Do we have a case for following the American approach of a class action? I am getting increasingly concerned and had lengthy correspondence with CRC about the engine being fit for purpose
HSE Lux Corris Grey with adaptive headlights, camera pack, incontrol remote, all terrain progress control, reduced spare wheel. Delivered 14/3/17 :D

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”