Discovery Sport Forum banner

INGENIUM 2.0 DIESEL OIL ANALYSIS RESULTS

128K views 163 replies 53 participants last post by  TheGavver 
#1 ·
As DieselGate starts to attract wider attention I am starting this thread to provide a repository for oil analysis results. I want to know if my engine is "special" or whether the problem of wear metals is more widespread. Millers Oils is a company I found by trawling the internet and after making a few cold calls to see who could provide me an authoritative oil analysis report for a reasonable price - I've got no affiliation with them in any capacity other than as their client. They provide the results as a pdf file. To get the first three reports onto the forum I used AVS to convert the pdf into a jpeg and then Microsoft paint to delete personal data.

See chat about this topic here
https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5379

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY COMMENTS ON THIS THREAD REPLYING TO POSTERS RESULTS, POST THEM TO THE THREAD MENTIONED ABOVE. THIS THREAD IS FOR RESULTS ONLY

Link to Millers Oils: http://www.millersoils.co.uk/services/oil-analysis

MODS: Is there any way you could make this sticky for at least the next 6 months please ?

See less See more
#5 ·
13,268 miles , 2.5% Fuel dilution

If its of any help I drove 99.9 % of the mileage in ECO mode with about 95% efficiency and excellent MPG , Nearly all journeys were > 30 miles and a good average speed of around 55 mph,10% of journeys were long runs of 150 miles or more

View attachment 6059

Attachments

#7 ·
After only 2032 miles of mainly high-speed, long-distance driving, the oil is almost ready for changing again due to abnormally high Iron deposits. This is just about the worst result I could have imagined but as with any illness affecting the system it is surely "better out than in" as my old mum would have said. The rate of Iron accumulation appears to have increased from 34.1658 ppm/1K miles to 44.7835 ppm/1K miles since the last sample was tested. This is statistically similar to the 53.3333 ppm/1K miles reported by PaulCP at 1,200 miles. The oil dilution of 1.3% is in line with expectations and equates to a distance between "21000 mile services" of 7,700 miles by the SIM, assuming an over-reading of 19% as before.

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

Attachments

#9 ·
First oil result just in and a bit of a surprise. Mileage is 2104 from brand new and fuel dilution shows zero % (may just be a rounding but other figures to 3 decimal places). Oil dilution according to the service department check on the day of the sample was 'found' to be a calculated 2%. I'll keep an eye on other posted results and will most likely submit the next sample at 5000 miles. The oil service mileage on the car is down to 12800 at 2420 miles on the clock so it will be interesting to see how much further it will drop over the next few thousand miles. Any comments from all you experts out there on these results will be greatly appreciated (boron level?)

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Attachments

#10 ·
Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Screenshot

TABLE TO COMPARE WITH CASTROL EDGE PROFESSIONAL 0W-30

Font Parallel Number Pattern Rectangle

Notes:
- Sulphur figure for the Total is 0.232% m/m qualifying it as C2 but not C1(<-0.2%) - not relevant to DS Ingenium.
- Quite high levels of Boron and Molybdenum additives with less Zinc and Calcium.
- Actual Viscosity is 0.3 cSt higher which hopefully translates into better ability to stay in grade.
- Fuel economy could be marginally better (C1 vs C2).
- Sulphated Ash should be lower as ACEA C1 requires <=0.5% (Castrol Data Sheet figure of 0.79% just meets C2)

Attachments

#11 ·
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Must admit, I was expecting a higher percentage fuel dilution than this. The car is currently at the garage, having had an oil and filter change. Will post calculated oil dilution percentage when I get it back.

Looks like I win the highest Fe ppm value to date.

Steve

Attachments

#12 ·
I think I now take the record Steve? !! My Discovery Sport came up with the Service Required Message on the App at about 14,050 miles in early April. Told to wait until the 21,000 service. Due to picking up on this major issue on the forum my local dealer immediately changed the oil and filter at 19,300 miles (the vehicle ran 5,250 miles after it said it needed an oil service !). The dealers SDD showed an oil dilution value of 8.6%. The vehicle is used mainly for shorter journeys, and has been in ECO mode and driven lightly trying to maximise fuel efficiency since purchasing the vehicle from Land Rover 11 months ago at 10,850 miles. Any comments?

Thank you VDS for your reply to my late post last night in Service interval.

Attachments

#13 ·
#16 ·
Below is my oil analysis, done at the time UK Technical claimed my iPhone app's service alert was likely to be rogue (as my car never displayed an alert despite claims that my car's software was up to date!). The alert was genuine as the dealer found my car's estimate of oil dilution was 6.8%. Of course the oil & oil filter were then changed.

Miller also failed the oil due to metal wear. BTW the 9309 mileage is from new.

In case it becomes relevant: I have only ever used Shell Premium Diesel (Nitro+).

Product Font Material property Rectangle Parallel

Attachments

G
#17 ·
2nd sample now analysed - thought this necessary as the first sample was taken when the oil was cold/potentially stratified and wondered whether had taken some of the gunk off the bottom of the sump, so general concern the results may be somewhat misleading. This 2nd sample was taken when the oil was changed at the dealers after a 30 mile drive so the oil was hot and should have been well mixed.

Headline is the results are in the same ballpark but slightly better across the board - also attach a summary comparing the two samples (1 = cold and 2 = hot)

Attachments

#18 ·
Oil testing results (small sample taken so not all tests could be done).

Tested at circa 19.5K miles with no interim oil change. Oil service was shown at 13.5K miles but based on the then current LR advice to the dealer, the service counters were reset. At the time it was believed the early oil service request were a software issue so dealers were told to reset. Not sure if the dilution counter would have also been reset or not but SDD reported a dilution level of 6.2% when it had its first service.

So in my case the dilution level was under estimated by the DS.

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

Attachments

#20 ·
Ended up getting a sample analysed as Local JLR dealer refused to change the oil as they tested a dilution level of 6.1 and Told me JLR will only change if greater than 7.1.
They reset the time to service to 19,000 and sent me on my way with a cleaner car!!
Have now sent report back to them requesting a free oil change ASAP.
They tell me they are in comm with JLR
Results below.
Product Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot

Attachments

#24 ·
Oil analysis at 1,000 miles. All good so far ... I'll be sending another at about 3,000 miles.

Attachments

#25 ·
Hi,

had a sample tested as well:

Date: October 23rd 2017
14.529 miles

Fe: 358 mg/kg
Al: 42 mg/kg
Cu: 33 mg/kg
Si: 33 mg/kg
Na: 5 mg/kg

Diesel (Dilution): 4,07%
Viscosity (100°C): 9,01 mm2/s

Test is in German, if you want more info on this just ask me.

Greets,
Hauser

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.