Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Enufisenuf
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:22 pm

Re: Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Post by Enufisenuf » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:38 pm

By the way I have had LR take their standard remedial action ( Service Action N128v4 ) on the car before trading it in !


Barnsh
Posts: 6753
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:20 pm
Location: South East
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 133 times

Re: Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Post by Barnsh » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:03 pm

Enufisenuf wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:31 pm
My Disco Sport story is a horror show - first car from new broke down twice in three weeks. I got a replacement as I refused to accept it just being “worked on” The second car had catastrophic engine failure after 15K on the motorway - really scary - pistons hit valves etc etc. They eventually put a new engine in. This lasted 10K until balance shaft noise again which I was told would cause failure again by a trusted mechanic. JLR know all about this problem - I have proof - and it affects all Ingenium engines in the LR range - I don’t know about Jags. Enough is Enough - I have swallowed the depreciation loss and traded it in with another manufacturer. A sorry story for a once proud British brand.
That’s not good , I went through 3 xDS before hopping to the petrol jag.
So far just seems to be diesels with balance shafts issues, but they are a rougher running engine so more to smooth by balancing shafts.

It’s now reported on diesel 2.0L Velar,FPace, DS, D5, Evoque, Xe, EPace .
Original Doc said MY16/17 , updated to include 18, I wonder if 19 will go on there to or will it be sorted??

Sure sounds less and less like the bad batch suggested earlier.
Doesn’t sound like Oil dilution either as those without dilution are affected.
Lack of oil to the bearings is a possibility?

The plot thickens
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:


Barnsh
Posts: 6753
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:20 pm
Location: South East
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 133 times

Re: Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Post by Barnsh » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:37 pm

Now appearing on the D240 Velar, I think this puts the “bad batch / rusty/ rumour to bed “ unless they had two years worth of stock left in the rain??

https://www.velarforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1997
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:


DroitwichGas
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:41 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Post by DroitwichGas » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:24 pm

It's a worry the Velar's only had such low mileage on them, what happens when these cars start clocking up 50,000/100,000+. Plus if they still haven't fixed the problem will replacing the balancer shafts really solve the problem or will it just reappear in another 5,000/10,000 once the bearings fail again?

My Disco Sport was a June 2018 reg, these Velar's are probably a year younger and it seems LR still have solved the problem?


Barnsh
Posts: 6753
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:20 pm
Location: South East
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 133 times

Re: Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Post by Barnsh » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:46 pm

DroitwichGas wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:24 pm
It's a worry the Velar's only had such low mileage on them, what happens when these cars start clocking up 50,000/100,000+. Plus if they still haven't fixed the problem will replacing the balancer shafts really solve the problem or will it just reappear in another 5,000/10,000 once the bearings fail again?

My Disco Sport was a June 2018 reg, these Velar's are probably a year younger and it seems LR still have solved the problem?
Been a few with shafts replaced that needed new engines shortly afterwards , I guess out of warranty your at the mercy of good will .
You’d have to get a copy of the topix doc to see if they have a VIN range , but also be aware that VIN ranges can and do get extended.
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:


BC360
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:47 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Post by BC360 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:44 pm

Our DS has been diagnosed with the dreaded balancer shaft whine at 15000 miles. Replacement balance shafts has been offered as the only option. But I have read on the forum about several owners reporting repeat balance shaft problems - suggesting that the problem was not solved by swapping the shaft.

I am also concerned that the procedure of replacing the shaft - removal of engine is fairly serious surgery - will result in other side-effects.

I called JLR customer relations explaining my concerns and suggested that they extended our warranty to give us peace of mind - no chance. The guy said that if it happened again then they would take a look at it at the time - which does not give me any peace of mind!

He generously suggested that I could buy an extended warranty myself...

Is there anyone out there that has had a positive experience after a balance shaft replacement - so a reasonably long duration without the whine returning?

And has anyone managed to get an extended warranty to cover the work done on the car (or any other goodwill)?

Other than the rear brakes corroding the car has been pretty good so far - but i am feeling pretty disillusioned at the moment...

Any information or advice appreciated.


Natsweeb
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 5:15 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Post by Natsweeb » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:13 pm

Today I heard a whine from the engine, and it sounded serious so I called LR assistance. 2017 model 8500 miles.
The mechanic arrived and listened to the engine and pronounced that it is the turbo, and he would get it booked into the dealer tomorrow.
I queried wether it was ok to drive and he said yes, but no long fast runs.
I drove back home around 25 miles and there was no loss of power which I would perhaps expect to be a symptom of faulty turbo.
Having read this thread it sounds possible it is the shafts.
If it is I guess the customer has no right to request a new engine rather than a repair?
My local dealer who has always been excellent in the past seven years usually will collect and return the car, but interestingly the service reception lady said they weren't allowed to drive a car that had a fault reported.
As a mechanical engineer myself, I think that there is a great possibility that the oil contamination is a very likely suspect.


Natsweeb
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 5:15 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Post by Natsweeb » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:24 pm

Just a small addition to my last post, the car is actually booked in as the oil service warning came up, and when I queried this was told that the oil service warning was a known fault and it would be re-programmed, but the oil would be changed anyway. I bought the service package so there is no charge, or for DEF, but it seems to need a lot, or they don't fill it as this is also due so will be third fill in 8500 miles.
Most of my mileage is 100 miles plus on motorways and a technician told me that it should use the least with this type of driving. More pottering around urban areas.


User avatar
PhilMabbots17
Posts: 244
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:44 am
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Post by PhilMabbots17 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:36 pm

Natsweeb wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:24 pm
Just a small addition to my last post, the car is actually booked in as the oil service warning came up, and when I queried this was told that the oil service warning was a known fault and it would be re-programmed, but the oil would be changed anyway. I bought the service package so there is no charge, or for DEF, but it seems to need a lot, or they don't fill it as this is also due so will be third fill in 8500 miles.
Most of my mileage is 100 miles plus on motorways and a technician told me that it should use the least with this type of driving. More pottering around urban areas.
Very sparse reporting of turbo failures on the AJ200. The BS bearing failure has a very distinctive sound and there are at least 2 links on here to youtube video with audio to help with ID. Re the service warning, the oil service alert is usually real, so the oil would have required changing. "Reprogramming" prob means N025 and won't resolve the core problem which is too much post injection. See JLRP00100 for explanations.
2017 (66) Mercedes GLC 220d 4Matic Sport
REJECTED: 17MY DS HSE 2.0L 148HP Indus Silver Park Assist Electric Tow Bar


DroitwichGas
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:41 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Post by DroitwichGas » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:30 pm

BC360 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:44 pm
Our DS has been diagnosed with the dreaded balancer shaft whine at 15000 miles. Replacement balance shafts has been offered as the only option. But I have read on the forum about several owners reporting repeat balance shaft problems - suggesting that the problem was not solved by swapping the shaft.

I am also concerned that the procedure of replacing the shaft - removal of engine is fairly serious surgery - will result in other side-effects.

I called JLR customer relations explaining my concerns and suggested that they extended our warranty to give us peace of mind - no chance. The guy said that if it happened again then they would take a look at it at the time - which does not give me any peace of mind!

He generously suggested that I could buy an extended warranty myself...

Is there anyone out there that has had a positive experience after a balance shaft replacement - so a reasonably long duration without the whine returning?

And has anyone managed to get an extended warranty to cover the work done on the car (or any other goodwill)?

Other than the rear brakes corroding the car has been pretty good so far - but i am feeling pretty disillusioned at the moment...

Any information or advice appreciated.
Whether the dealer just replaces the shafts or the whole engine it will still require similar major work, I guess the real issue facing us is whether it's just the shafts bearings wearing early due to oil decontamination or whether the crankshaft etc are also suffering similar damage and owners won't know that's occuring until the cars start hitting higher mileages.

If I've still got me car when it approaches 3 years old I'll make sure I take out a Land Rover extended warranty just for piece of mind, as out of warranty the repairs will cost a small fortune if a new engine is required. This is my 4th Freelander/Disco Sport, not sure now that I'll make to the 5th!


Post Reply

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”