Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
DroitwichGas

Re: Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Post by DroitwichGas » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:21 pm

I suggest you email the garage and ask them to confirm that is the case so you have their answer in writing, just in case the problem does reoccur.

I have now had my balance shafts replaced without any issues, the suggestion made by my local main dealer was that Land Rover left a batch of shafts outside leading to weathering before they used in the engines, I've no idea if that really was the case or not. Apparently they have had no customers returning with the same problem once they've replaced the shafts.

kuruvi

Post by kuruvi » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:48 am

DroitwichGas wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:21 pm
I suggest you email the garage and ask them to confirm that is the case so you have their answer in writing, just in case the problem does reoccur.

I have now had my balance shafts replaced without any issues, the suggestion made by my local main dealer was that Land Rover left a batch of shafts outside leading to weathering before they used in the engines, I've no idea if that really was the case or not. Apparently they have had no customers returning with the same problem once they've replaced the shafts.
It is reassuring to know you are happy with the replacement and thanks for sharing. The garage has confirmed to me in email that I can get it repaired at local dealer and they still abide by the Consumer Rights Act if the repair fail. The car is now booked to have the work done at local dealer. Hope the issue will not return.

NoDiscoSport

Post by NoDiscoSport » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:25 am

Ingenium balancer shaft failure problem spreads to Discovery.
rotalution wrote:Replacing Balance Shaft, am I the first D5? 25th Oct 2018 8:54 am

Unfortunately, I am sad to report my balance shafts need to be replaced under warranty. This seems to be a common issue with the DS. After searching on this forum and Disco5forum I cant find any others suffering the same problem. FML

2 litres ingenium SD4
Done 35,000 KMS
17MY DS150PS 6 speed manual. Rejected as "not of satisfactory quality", "not as described", Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:41 pm

DroitwichGas wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:21 pm

Several folks have had balance shafts replaced then gone on to have a new engine fitted as the fault returned.
One extremely unlucky person in an Evoque has had :
Balance shafts changed at 500 miles
New engine at 4000 miles ( due to balance shafts)
New engine at 7000 miles. ( due to balance shafts)

The “ left our side to rust” theory doesn’t seem to stack up for some owners . I’m not shooting the messenger by any means as we can only go by what we are told , but a degree of scepticism does start to creep in when you look at the cases of people afflicted more than once, it would seem that this bad batch is rather large in size, or they are replacing faulty with faulty , which is concerning for sure if from the “same batch”
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

DroitwichGas

Post by DroitwichGas » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:49 pm

Yes, it'll be interesting to follow the history of this issue, will the number of cars requiring new balance shafts start to decline or not. If not, then let's hope LR hurry up and find a solution to the problem as no other car manufacturer seems to be having similar issues.

Hauser

Post by Hauser » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:28 pm

Hi folks,

I noticed an unusual whine from my engine. I think it is my turbo charger, but I am not sure. I took a video (it was dark, so it's just to record the sound). Could the guys who did have the balance shaft whine take a look at the video and tell me if I need to worry or not?

Greets and thanks,
Hauser
Discovery 5 (MY 2017): HSE Luxury, TDV6, Fuji White w. black roof
Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:53 pm

Hauser

That is not turbo related - turbos whistle on spooling up. That is a whine exacerbated by rising RPM.

Get it checked out properly, ASAP.

Grüss
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:11 pm

Hauser wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:28 pm
Hi folks,

I noticed an unusual whine from my engine. I think it is my turbo charger, but I am not sure. I took a video (it was dark, so it's just to record the sound). Could the guys who did have the balance shaft whine take a look at the video and tell me if I need to worry or not?

Greets and thanks,
Hauser
Hi
Did you see this video ?
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7555&p=91367&hilit ... deo#p91353

Doesn’t sound like turbo to me, but the sounds are very close according to JLR, so get it checked quickly by dealer.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:15 pm

Badgerface wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:53 pm
Hauser

That is not turbo related - turbos whistle on spooling up. That is a whine exacerbated by rising RPM.

Get it checked out properly, ASAP.

Grüss
Agree sounds too deep a tone to be turbo
MY17 HSE 180 gone

kuruvi

Post by kuruvi » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:38 pm

My car had similar noise. It is at the dealer for balancer shaft replacement. I was told it has been done and will get the car back on Monday. Hoping it will be quiter.

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”