Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
j88kln

Re: Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Post by j88kln » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:46 pm

just got off the phone to them.

Supposedly one of the service guys had told them he spoke with me on the phone and allowed him to take the vehicle home as the vehicle needs to do approx 100 miles after any major repairs to check everything is working.

He was supposed to ring me but never did and stil took it home.

78.2 miles in total!!

Car is ready for collection this afternoon.

iw1234

Post by iw1234 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:39 pm

Interesting thread - slightly unrelated but I had a similar, loud, whining, wailing noise from my engine after I tried to pull out of a side road.

There was an almost complete loss of power and the engine went in to restricted performance mode.

I am told that the Turbo has gone and needs to be replaced - at 27k miles!?

This is a Discovery Sport from Jan 2016 with the ingenium engine.
Current: Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
On order: MY2016 DS SE Tech Auto Corris Grey + Ebony int.
Options: Privacy glass, RV camera, electric seats, 75k service plan, carpet mats
Estimated Delivery: Dec 2015

Past master

Post by Past master » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:54 pm

On the one hand, turbos do go unexpectedly and it's probably not a common fault, or no more so on this engine than any other. On the other hand, how many oil changes did you have in that time? There could be a possible link to oil dilution I suppose.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

iw1234

Post by iw1234 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:56 pm

The first oil change was at the first service at 21,000 miles afaik - the service due indicator came on again at approx 25-26k and it went in to the dealer who said that they changed the oil at that time.
Current: Audi Q7 3.0 TDI
On order: MY2016 DS SE Tech Auto Corris Grey + Ebony int.
Options: Privacy glass, RV camera, electric seats, 75k service plan, carpet mats
Estimated Delivery: Dec 2015

Past master

Post by Past master » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:10 pm

Then I suspect it's just one of those things. At least it's a warranty item.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

green genie

Post by green genie » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:40 pm

As the oil was not changed until 21000 mls and in view of all the now well known dilution problems, This could well be evidence of the failure being due to lack of lubrication at one of the hottest and highest spinning moving parts, as I mentioned on a previous post.
Built # March 2016, 180 HSE AINTREE GREEN / ALMOND.
7 Seats, no spare, removable tow bar factory fit. 19" wheels.
Panoramic roof.
Location Hampshire , England.
Bought @ Hunters , Southampton. :D

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:41 pm

green genie wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:40 pm
As the oil was not changed until 21000 mls and in view of all the now well known dilution problems, This could well be evidence of the failure being due to lack of lubrication at one of the hottest and highest spinning moving parts, as I mentioned on a previous post.
That is of course a possibility.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Cooperman61

Post by Cooperman61 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:59 pm

For you all
Having had my car in the garage for 14 weeks with a Balance shaft issue, I got it back with a little damage. That got repaired then the Turbo/DPF gasket failed, along with the Stop Start after 10 days of having it back!
The car went in again over a weekend and came back out and seemed OK. Now another week on the Stop start has failed again and I am back there Friday.
This is so disappointing from a brand name like JLR.
:?: :?:

NoDiscoSport

Post by NoDiscoSport » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:22 pm

Balancer shafts seem to be problematic on many cars including GM, Mitsubishi, VAG and Mercedes (particular problems on some models) so I was starting to think that maybe JLR don't deserve to be singled out for this issue. Then I came across this report - Back in the real world - Jaguar XE 28 January 2015:
At the halfway point we swap out for the new XE R-Sport 180. Powered by a somewhat gruff sounding Ingenium diesel, we're assured by the people that know final sound deadening, baffling and even balancer shaft specs haven't been sorted yet. Instead we're to concentrate on the performance and the dynamics of this, the second-most sporty set-up for the new XE.
This was written 3 months before the XE launch, just as the first Disco Sports began to ship with the old engine. :cry:
17MY DS150PS 6 speed manual. Rejected as "not of satisfactory quality", "not as described", Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:31 pm

Cooperman61 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:59 pm
For you all
Having had my car in the garage for 14 weeks with a Balance shaft issue, I got it back with a little damage. That got repaired then the Turbo/DPF gasket failed, along with the Stop Start after 10 days of having it back!
The car went in again over a weekend and came back out and seemed OK. Now another week on the Stop start has failed again and I am back there Friday.
This is so disappointing from a brand name like JLR.
:?: :?:
To replace balance shafts they would more than likely have had to disconnect the turbo from the down pipe which actually goes to the DOC ( diesel oxidisation catalyst) if they disconnected this they should have reconnected it with a new gasket. That's just shoddy workmanship. Gaskets should always be replaced. 14 weeks without a run won't have done your secondary battery much good either I guess.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”