Discovery Sport Forum banner

Engine replacing Balance Shaft

211K views 357 replies 86 participants last post by  CMJS2 
#1 ·
Good evening All

Very much gutted after being told by my local dealer (which is not in the uk) that JLR has examined the very high pitch sound coming from the engine upon accelerating and going thru the gears ? And after accessing some test feedback here they have concluded that a new engine is required ! Im still under shock from after hearing this. Never in my wildest dreams or nightmares would i have fathomed a 4 month old under 3500 mile engine needing replacement... Your thoughts if any please....?

#2 ·
Sounds like a turbo bearing issue?

#3 ·
What do they think is actually wrong with it?

I trust there's no question but that this is a warranty repair? IN which case, just be glad the issue was found whislt it WAS in warranty. It can't be a common failure or we'd have heard by now!! :)

#4 ·
They mentioned some balancing shaft as the cause of the noise problem. They said usage will not make it any worse or unsafe but the noise will not get any better hence a new engine. The GM was not available at that time so i sounded the person off that i was not comfortable with an engine change on a new vehicle and request their assistance on an altogether new replacement vehicle. Has anyone here needed an engine change on any of their discos?

#5 ·
Interesting - that makes me suspect they HAVE seen this a few times on the Ingemium engine.

On under 4k miles, yes, I'm surprised they didn't offer to swap the car. But up to you - if you like everything else, take the donk swap.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Thanks Chippy this forum indeed sheds light on the engine problem. Cheers for pointing me to it. Iv since asked around abit and heard some horror stories which do not encourage me at all to allow or bank on a new engine to solve the issue. I do not plan nor will i accept to have a new expensive vehicle turned into a problem chest and residual value shot to the ground as a result. Push may need to come to shove but so be it. I waited 4 months paid premium value and i dont deserve to be JLRs guinea pig on this engine issue. Sorry but abit of venting...

#8 ·
dasa75 said:
Thanks Chippy this forum indeed sheds light on the engine problem. Cheers for pointing me to it. Iv since asked around abit and heard some horror stories which do not encourage me at all to allow or bank on a new engine to solve the issue. I do not plan nor will i accept to have a new expensive vehicle turned into a problem chest and residual value shot to the ground as a result. Push may need to come to shove but so be it. I waited 4 months paid premium value and i dont deserve to be JLRs guinea pig on this engine issue. Sorry but abit of venting...
Your venting is more than justifiable. I wouldn't be happy in your position either.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Is anyone else if having issues with the ingenium diesel engine balance shaft bearing?

My MY17 needs a new engine due to a balance shaft bearing failure. It was diagnosed based on a screeching sound from the engine above 1500rpm which developed at about 8,000km. Sounded like a bad aux belt to me so the engine replacement outcome was a bit of a shock.

I've had a look through other forums and found that Evoque and XE owners are having similar issues, but no DS reports that I could find.

#13 ·
I experienced this exact issue with my 12 month old Disco Sport. Started hearing a whistling sound at certain revs and while the car performed fine, it was a little concerning.

The local dealer hadn't seen it this issue before, but had two cars come in that same week with the same issue. By the time I picked the car up following repair, they'd had another come in with the same issue. They said this was an issue with the bearings. They didn't need to replace the engine, but instead replaced the balance shaft and bearings. Great to have a quiet car again.

I enquired as to whether this was looking to be a common fault with the engine and they started to get very cagey, saying they couldn't say anything that might otherwise discredit the Land Rover brand, so sounds to me like there is a common fault but they are not publicly admitting it yet.

While this was all covered under the warranty, I will be writing to Land Rover and asking whether they can provide assurances that if this occurs again, even out of warranty, they will fix it free of charge.

#14 ·
Glad your sorted pingu well worth getting an extended warranty on the engine .
They should supply that after having a fault so soon.

#17 ·
QLDer said:
Hi Pingu1000, do you have the 2.0L Diesel engine?
Yes, the 2.0 l diesel. The newer and much hailed Ingenium engine. It is by far a better engine than the only BMW engines that were in the old Freelanders, Evoques and early Disco Sports, but could there be a teething issue with the balance shaft bearings, which I and a few others seem to have experienced.

#18 ·
Pingu1000 said:
QLDer said:
Yes, the 2.0 l diesel. The newer and much hailed Ingenium engine. It is by far a better engine than the only BMW engines that were in the old Freelanders, Evoques and early Disco Sports, but could there be a teething issue with the balance shaft bearings, which I and a few others seem to have experienced.
I always thought that the previous 2.2l engine was from PSA/Ford and not BMW but I may be wrong.

#20 ·
The BMW engine was in the later Freelander 1
I had one.

#22 ·
Pingu1000 said:
QLDer said:
Yes, the 2.0 l diesel. The newer and much hailed Ingenium engine. It is by far a better engine than the only BMW engines that were in the old Freelanders, Evoques and early Disco Sports, ubut could there be a teething issue with the balance shaft bearings, which I and a few others seem to have experienced.
The 2.2l engine balance shafts are easy to replace - just bolt on under the engine block above the sump. The 2.0l shafts are incorporated in the engine block so I'm surprised that they opted to repair the engine. I pushed for a repair rather than replacment engine and was told it was not viable for the 2.0l.

Hope they get to the bottom of this issue as it is an expensive and intrusive repair either way.

Attachments

#24 ·
#25 ·
Very interesting read. I particularly like the flow chart requiring the service teams to "educate the customer and explain that this could be because of the customer's driving style". I also note that they are limiting their "goodwill" for this issue to 80,500km - then the customer is on their own for wearing the costs associated with this defect (I guess that goodwill and liability are two different things).

Prior to my balance shaft issue, I noticed that the "Next Service" screen in the instrument cluster was requesting an Oil Change in 3,100km after 8mths / 7,800km of ownership (i.e would come due at 10,900km rather than 34,000km). I booked it in to repair the auto start / stop failure and asked for the oil change to occur under my service plan at the same time. I was told that the oil change was just counting down to the 12mth "health check" and that they would carry out the health check then reset the counter but would not service the vehicle. I confirmed on pickup that no oil change was carried out. As I drove out of the dealership driveway I first heard the screech noise (they had turned the radio off) which ultimately lead to the balance shaft diagnosis and 4wks off the road for an engine replacement.

#26 ·
My car has been at Range Rover for 8 weeks. It started with a whine from the engine rpm dependent. The dealership thought It was a turbo issue but after they sent a audio file off to Land Rover they confirmed it would require a new engine. Just popped into the dealer shop today as my car was going to ready and asked what failed in the engine. They told me the balence shaft bearing! This confirms what I had though all along reading the experiences of people on this forum. They also told me that the have got 4 other cars needing new engines! If you multiply this across all the dealerships across Britain I think Land Rover have a big problem.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.