Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
dasa75

Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Post by dasa75 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:36 pm

Good evening All

Very much gutted after being told by my local dealer (which is not in the uk) that JLR has examined the very high pitch sound coming from the engine upon accelerating and going thru the gears ? And after accessing some test feedback here they have concluded that a new engine is required ! Im still under shock from after hearing this. Never in my wildest dreams or nightmares would i have fathomed a 4 month old under 3500 mile engine needing replacement... Your thoughts if any please....?
MY2017 Fuji White HSE Auto 180 plus a couple of extras

DS SteveB

Re: Engine needs replacing! After 33xx miles!!

Post by DS SteveB » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:23 am

Sounds like a turbo bearing issue?
MY16.5 Discovery Sport SE Tech 180, Auto, Fuji White, Black Leather.
Ordered: 7/4/16, Built: 3/5/16
Delivered: 12/5/16
Gone: Holden Clubsport R8, Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD, Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, Ford Mustang Cobra.

ccomley

Post by ccomley » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:27 am

What do they think is actually wrong with it?

I trust there's no question but that this is a warranty repair? IN which case, just be glad the issue was found whislt it WAS in warranty. It can't be a common failure or we'd have heard by now!! :-)
---
Loire Blue HSE - pretty much standard. Arrived June '15
(1996 Defender 90 and her SLK share the driveway)

dasa75

Post by dasa75 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:41 am

They mentioned some balancing shaft as the cause of the noise problem. They said usage will not make it any worse or unsafe but the noise will not get any better hence a new engine. The GM was not available at that time so i sounded the person off that i was not comfortable with an engine change on a new vehicle and request their assistance on an altogether new replacement vehicle. Has anyone here needed an engine change on any of their discos?

ccomley

Post by ccomley » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:57 am

Interesting - that makes me suspect they HAVE seen this a few times on the Ingemium engine.

On under 4k miles, yes, I'm surprised they didn't offer to swap the car. But up to you - if you like everything else, take the donk swap.
---

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:55 am

I've not read about balance shaft problems on this forum but it has been a topic over on the Jaguar XE forum.

If it is the balance shaft then it's most likely associated with the bearings and not the shaft itself.

https://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... a039e0960a
Gone: 2 x DS TD4. Rejected B pillar ticking.
Going: Evoque TD4. Increasing problems.
Arriving: MB GLC 250d.

dasa75

Post by dasa75 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:59 pm

Thanks Chippy this forum indeed sheds light on the engine problem. Cheers for pointing me to it. Iv since asked around abit and heard some horror stories which do not encourage me at all to allow or bank on a new engine to solve the issue. I do not plan nor will i accept to have a new expensive vehicle turned into a problem chest and residual value shot to the ground as a result. Push may need to come to shove but so be it. I waited 4 months paid premium value and i dont deserve to be JLRs guinea pig on this engine issue. Sorry but abit of venting...

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:06 pm

dasa75 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:59 pm
Thanks Chippy this forum indeed sheds light on the engine problem. Cheers for pointing me to it. Iv since asked around abit and heard some horror stories which do not encourage me at all to allow or bank on a new engine to solve the issue. I do not plan nor will i accept to have a new expensive vehicle turned into a problem chest and residual value shot to the ground as a result. Push may need to come to shove but so be it. I waited 4 months paid premium value and i dont deserve to be JLRs guinea pig on this engine issue. Sorry but abit of venting...
Your venting is more than justifiable. I wouldn't be happy in your position either.
Gone: 2 x DS TD4. Rejected B pillar ticking.
Going: Evoque TD4. Increasing problems.
Arriving: MB GLC 250d.

ccomley

Post by ccomley » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:43 am

Chippy wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:55 am
I've not read about balance shaft problems on this forum but it has been a topic over on the Jaguar XE forum.

If it is the balance shaft then it's most likely associated with the bearings and not the shaft itself.

https://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... a039e0960a
indeed, and if it's bearings, I can't see that it *won't* get worse, if there's noise, there's wear, and that must degrade over time.
---

QLDer

INGENIUM 2.0 DIESEL ENGINE FAILURE

Post by QLDer » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:22 am

Is anyone else if having issues with the ingenium diesel engine balance shaft bearing?

My MY17 needs a new engine due to a balance shaft bearing failure. It was diagnosed based on a screeching sound from the engine above 1500rpm which developed at about 8,000km. Sounded like a bad aux belt to me so the engine replacement outcome was a bit of a shock.

I've had a look through other forums and found that Evoque and XE owners are having similar issues, but no DS reports that I could find.
MY17 - TD4 SE 150 Auto

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”