Service interval

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Rob1976

Re: Service interval

Post by Rob1976 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:41 pm

Thanks guys, might call them before it goes in next week and ask them to prove that N289 has been applied to the car. Otherwise I can see the car having to go back in again for another oil change in 6 months time.

Worried that although I have a service plan, and to date any oil change has been covered under warranty, next time they will try and charge me for it 🙁

Rob1976

Post by Rob1976 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:14 pm

Is there a way to tell what the current oil dilution percentage is on 17MY disco please?

Thanks

Woolmeister

Post by Woolmeister » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:20 pm

Yes.

You take an oil sample from your car and send it off to Millers to be analysed.

The value that Pathfinder retrieves from the PCM is an estimated value and should not be relied upon.

Steve
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey
Opening Panoramic Roof, Virtual Cockpit, Canton Sound, Adaptive Cruise Control, Adaptive LED Headlamps, Heated Steering Wheel, Reverse Camera, Side Steps

GONE - 17MY HSE Auto 180 - JUNK

Ian_S

Post by Ian_S » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:49 am

Past master wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:11 am
I'm not sure that increasing the threshold is all it does. My car seems much more "driveable" after the update - I get the impression it has also set the engine to rev a bit higher - ie change gear earlier, which might have been done to affect emissions. Could be I'm imagining it.
I thought that as well initially, however, now I think that was down to the ECU getting a full reset as part of the process and it then having to re-learn driving style etc. Things pretty much back to as they were mostly now. I have to say I preferred the non-learned ECU behaviour personally. No doubt all in the name of emissions control! :)
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

Globalste

Post by Globalste » Wed May 01, 2019 11:32 pm

I have a 2016 DS, it’s come up with service required a few times, I just stuck a sealey pump down the dipstick tube and sucked out all the oil, changed the filter and put new oil in then reset the service using the convoluted doors and bonnet and brake pedal, no way I’m paying LR to do the same thing (ever noticed sump plug is only mentioned on the schedule every 4th year?) when I can do it for £48. To be honest, I don’t like any of my cars going more than 7000miles/6mths without an oil change anyway, 22k is ridiculous and completely aimed at fleet servicing. My car still doesn’t count down it’s service even though it’s supposed to have had all the updates done, the only thing it counts in the dash menu is the DEF/Adblue - another item I fill myself and told the dealer he could jump when he tried to charge me £21 to put in 4ltrs of the stuff at its first service.

VAG cars have a 20k/2yr long life service option, it’s exactly the same oil as the 12k/1yr! They just make an assumption there will be no short journeys and hence post injection of fuel and backwash into the sump when you stop the car before an active regeneration has finished. I had an A6, that drank Adblue but the DS doesn’t seem too bad, I suspect the Discovery5 will be worse.

I help advise poor VAG owners rolling back their EA189 vehicles to standard so they don’t have the dreaded “fix” completely ruining their cars, it will be sad if there is something happening the same on these Ingeniums, otherwise we are in for EGR failures, turbo seals, cyclinder wash, piston rings.... thank god im the only owner of mine!

Does the 3ltr 6pot on the Discovery 5 suffer these same issues as the Ingenium, or is it less noticeable because it’s a yearly service schedule (from what I read)?
MY16 HSE Lux

PhilMabbots17

Post by PhilMabbots17 » Thu May 02, 2019 12:35 am

Globalste wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:32 pm
Does the 3ltr 6pot on the Discovery 5 suffer these same issues as the Ingenium, or is it less noticeable because it’s a yearly service schedule (from what I read)?
It looked bad for a while* especially as the D5 had originally been included in JLRP00100. A few oil samples were tested in US and Oz for diesel but showed nothing to be alarmed about. A recent software update appears to have fixed what could have been nothing more than a very pessimistic dilutiion algorithm. Add in the fact of a 12 month 16K service interval and any TDV6 doing "normal" driving is probably in the clear in terms of longevity of the block.

*More here: https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread732.html
2019 (19) Lexus RX 450h V6 Sport 4WD 8-)
2017 (66) Mercedes GLC 220d 4Matic Sport
2017 (17) Land Rover DS HSE 2.0L (Rejected)

Globalste

Post by Globalste » Thu May 02, 2019 1:45 am

I don’t know how to edit. On VAG cars a programme/app called VAGDPF can be used on Android with a Carista, it is an amazing little program which shows exactly what is happening with your EGR, DPF and what type of regeneration is occurring. It also shows how much life is left in your DPF and if you have a sticky EGR! The app has saved my bacon when the car has failed to start an active regeneration (due to a faulty faulty inlet MAP temp sensor) , I knew over 50miles before the DPF light came on and was already heading to the dealership, if I’d gone by the manual I’d have been driving round like an idiot for 30miles hoping it would sort itself out, which it never would have and I’d be getting towed to the garage.

A shame the program doesn’t work with JLR, would have saved a lot of the poor Evoque 2017 folk a lot of misery. The closest I’ve seen is Torque which shows DPF inlet temperature.

CBE7EF7A-57E3-4C24-8789-B38AD9A27875.jpeg

MY16 HSE Lux

Globalste

Post by Globalste » Thu May 02, 2019 1:50 am

Cheers, Im looking at changing possibly to a Disco5 but can’t decide on the mandatory 12mth Landrover rip-off for the D6, or the diluted oil from the Ingenium and my own intermediate servicing, the latter would have to be a low mileage one. I wouldn’t put it beyond LR to come up with a method of stopping us from resetting the oil service..
MY16 HSE Lux

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Thu May 02, 2019 8:03 am

Globalste wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:50 am
I wouldn’t put it beyond LR to come up with a method of stopping us from resetting the oil service..
I thought they already had - the doors / bonnet procedure resets the main service counter, the oil service counter can only be reset via the LR workshop diagnostic system.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

Globalste

Post by Globalste » Thu May 02, 2019 8:37 am

Dashnine wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:03 am
Globalste wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:50 am
I wouldn’t put it beyond LR to come up with a method of stopping us from resetting the oil service..
I thought they already had - the doors / bonnet procedure resets the main service counter, the oil service counter can only be reset via the LR workshop diagnostic system.
Yes I still reset mine that way every 6mths when I replace the oil and filter so it resets the lot. I take it in for service on the time scale (so it has had one service at Land Rover at 2yrs). I meant that they place an update that prevents the doors and bonnet method fullstop, thus making you come into the dealership.

Have to admit I didn't know anything about the free oil servicing if you had a 16/17 plate before June, however, the less I go all the way to the dealership the better really and 15mins to change the oil and filter on my driveway for £48 is far easier!
MY16 HSE Lux

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”