Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Lutra

Re: Service interval

Post by Lutra » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:40 pm

After a series of "oil service required" alerts,
"in 2100 miles", 4921 mileage
"in 1050 miles", 5098 mileage
"in 800 miles", 5717 mileage
I booked the DS in at our dealership for them to check it over under warranty.
To my surprise, no more alerts showed on ignition but after a couple of weeks I checked the service info on the menu and it was reading "oil service required in 0 mies.

Yesterday I sent off a Millers Oils test, before the garage took the car today.

I've just had a call to say they've given it a software update and forced a DPF regen, but that at 7.1% dilution the oil did not need changing. They have reset the oil service required display.
I asked what the maximum dilution was and was told it was 11%.
The total mileage is 6295

It will be interesting to see what the Millers results say.
Any thoughts?
Last edited by Lutra on Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone
2 manual TD4 RAV4s
3 TD4 manual Freelanders, problem free, and a joy to drive whatever the driving style!
MY16.5 Manual SE Tech TD150, RR, FSS, full leather.
Current MY18 (I think) Manual SE Tech TD 150, roof rails, FS spare, full leather.

Leoniums

Post by Leoniums » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Hi guys
i am trying to understand what all this oil dilution is about.
Probably my poor English is the reason.
Do you mind if i ask (even a pm can help in order to not mess your posts)
Is this oil dilution affect all?
I never had any issue with oil etc. I do all my changes as it is mentioned on the handbook... almost 1 in a year.
Can someone explain me with little words what is all about?

Thank you in advance
DS SE 180HP Auto MY16
Santorini Black
Panorama
Privacy Glass
Cold Climate Pack
Trailer coupling package
Xenon, Fog Lights
Lane Keep Assist, Blind Spot, Traffic Sign
<<<Forgive my poor English>>>

dougal74

Post by dougal74 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:46 pm

Higher mileage update from me as second owner of the car. First owner did 21k per year so was basically on annual services. Now I have it, I have been doing fewer miles (but mostly still 50-70mph motorway runs for 30+ minutes).

So next service is due Oct 2019 or 63k. Car has done 55k. Service due light popped up due to previous annual mileage. Dropped the car off for MOT, N025 and N118. Oil and filter done on recall oil dilution was factor 7.

They wanted to do the full service even though it's not due (and they have changed the oil and filter as per the above)! Plus they can't diagnose the see-saw lateral suspension fault which means the car pitches and rolls heavily at higher speed in motorway ruts and camber changes/ridges - must be a strut or something?

How to JLR expect to keep customers?
MY2016 DS TD4 (180PS) HSE Luxury, Auto, Corris/Ammonite Grey, Ebony Leather, Black Pack w/contrast roof, Privacy Glass, Driver Assistance Pack

dougal74

Post by dougal74 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:50 pm

Leoniums wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:50 pm
Hi guys
i am trying to understand what all this oil dilution is about.
Probably my poor English is the reason.
Do you mind if i ask (even a pm can help in order to not mess your posts)
Is this oil dilution affect all?
I never had any issue with oil etc. I do all my changes as it is mentioned on the handbook... almost 1 in a year.
Can someone explain me with little words what is all about?

Thank you in advance
Diesel gets past the piston rings and bore liners and dilutes the oil with diesel. This means more oil changes than scheduled (time or mileage) to replace the oil (which has become an oil+fuel mixture).
MY2016 DS TD4 (180PS) HSE Luxury, Auto, Corris/Ammonite Grey, Ebony Leather, Black Pack w/contrast roof, Privacy Glass, Driver Assistance Pack

Lutra

Post by Lutra » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:22 pm

My second DS, much loved for its long range comfort and off road capability like its predecessor has flashed up a series of "oil service required" alerts,
"in 2100 miles", 4921 mileage
"in 1050 miles", 5098 mileage
"in 800 miles", 5717 mileage
I booked the DS in at our dealership for them to check it over under warranty.
To my surprise, no more alerts showed on ignition, but, after a couple of weeks, I checked the service info on the menu and it was reading "oil service required in 0 mies.
I sent off a Millers Oils test, before the garage took the car.
To my surprise, the dealership called to say they've given it a software update and forced a DPF regen, but that at 7.1% dilution the oil did not need changing. They have reset the oil service required display. The report sheet does not mention the actual dilution but says they checked the oil and found it was OK.
I asked what the maximum dilution was and was told it was 11%.
The total mileage is 6295
The Millers test came back with a big red X and a fuel dilution level of 6.6. The comment says, "Critical fuel dilution identified. Wear Metal Analysis identifies high Iron and Silicon and we would advise this oil is changed."
Any thoughts?
Jan
PS I'm planning to post the Millers test results. whats the best way to do this? They have been emailed through as a PDF file
Gone
2 manual TD4 RAV4s
3 TD4 manual Freelanders, problem free, and a joy to drive whatever the driving style!
Current MY18 (I think) Manual SE Tech TD 150, roof rails, FS spare, full leather.

Lutra

Post by Lutra » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:58 pm

The Millers Oils results, now posted to the correct forum, came through showing 6.6% dilution after 6245 miles driven from new.
A call to the service manager, and very long time on hold, eventually brought forth the following information;
Bulletin N170v2 has been applied (I cannot see this bulletin as it is confidential to JLR) but apparently it includes an udate to the software which determines when an "oil service" required reminder is displayed.
Apparently a sliding scale between 6.2% and 8% now applies to oil dilution. Mine was recorded at 7.1% so doesn't qualify for a "one off" goodwill oil change at this time.
I was also informed the DS has a sensor which directly registers diesel dilution in the oil and does not rely on a computer algorithm; this was in response to my concern that the Next service... Oil service is reading 12600 miles. The reading 0 miles before it was reset. Surely if the sensor can detect 7.1% dilution it would be flagging the need for an oil service sooner than 12600 miles.
He dismissed the Millers oils recommendation that the oil should be changed as motivated by thier desire to sell more oil!
When I asked about the interim oil services I thought were included in my 5 year service plan he intimated that these were only included in some plans, and may not to apply to drivers who had low mileage. A call to a trusted dealership resulted in a screenshot of my service plan which clearly shows 4 interim and 2 standard services are included. They also suggested I should mention "JLR P00100 referance number = Oil dilution if over 6.1% must be changed & this is from 1.6.17" .
Could JLR be trialling different dilution levels in different geographical areas?
I have asked the service manager to write to me with all of the information he provided during our phone call.
Gone
2 manual TD4 RAV4s

discosportformums

Post by discosportformums » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:10 am

I see there was no mention of "incorrect driving style". Maybe they decided that its just too ridiculous for words to try and blame the loss of 15,000 expected service miles on something a customer could do. Could you say when this car was first registered please?
Current: 2015 VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI White
Next: Larger SUV, looking at Volvo, Audi, Lexus, LR etc.

Lutra

Post by Lutra » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:00 am

Hi NDS,
There were lots of veiled references to driving style. At one point he averaged my yearly usage, around 10K and said that equated to 27 miles a day and would rarley allow for passive regeneration. Interestingly, he also said the car needed to be driven at speed for between 50 and 60 miles for this to take place fully. I pointed out that like many people my driving includes a variety of journey lengths including trips to Scotland and plenty of driving on dual carriageways.

The car is a n MY18 SE Tech 150 manual, built for me and handed over at the very end of Dec 2017. I've loked myself out of my account and am hoping to come back as Jan where there are full details included in my signature. ;)
Do you know if there is an actual sensor that tests the oil?
I have had a very brief emailo from, someone else at the dealership, saying that the dilution level was 7.1. The email has a 400 word semi threatening intellectual property,"the information contained here may be confidential...etc" disclaimer sso I'm not sure if I can post the whole thing here.
Gone
2 manual TD4 RAV4s

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:25 am

I shouldn't let that put you off posting it - it correlates to YOUR property after all! If you're that worried, redact any identifiable information from it and then post it. They don't own you, you know!
17MY HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
13MY HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
12MY HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:09 am

Lutra wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:00 am
Do you know if there is an actual sensor that tests the oil?
No, that sounds like complete dealer BS. The dilution number from the car diagnostics is calculated, not measured.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”