Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Hauser

Re: Service interval

Post by Hauser » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:59 pm

PaulCP wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:45 pm
Hauser wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:31 pm

So it seems the Ingeniums are not as bad after all. Since non-Ingenium engines look the same...

Greets,
Hauser
It’s also well known the the latest V6 engines in the D5 and RRS suffer from exactly the same oil dilution issues as the DS 2.0l Ingenium engine. Similar tales of woe on both the relevant forums.

Of course, we have to accept that it’s all about everbody’s driving style :lol: whilst LR execs ponder why they are losing market share and try to dream up even more excuses for their bad engineering decisions
Who is talking about oil dilution?
Look at the numbers... Oil dilution isn't an issue with my samples. It's the wear metals...

Greets,
Hauser
Discovery 5 (MY 2017): HSE Luxury, TDV6, Fuji White w. black roof
Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof

PaulCP

Post by PaulCP » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:34 pm

Hauser wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:59 pm
[
Who is talking about oil dilution?
Look at the numbers... Oil dilution isn't an issue with my samples. It's the wear metals...

Greets,
Hauser
In my book, along with the wear metals, 2.46% dilution over 3350miles is an issue.

Only my opinion of course, it’s your car
Now: Lexus RX 450h F Sport + Premier Pack
GONE Jan 2018:- HSE Lux Firenze Red (MY17), Ivory Interior, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Headlights, Surround Cameras,

Previous: Range Rover Sport HSE Black Edn, Ipanema Sand

Hauser

Post by Hauser » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:00 am

Sorry PaulCP, you seem to be puzzled by numbers. You are mixing up two different tests (of actually two different cars).
Here the last test of my DS: Oil was used for 6169 miles (9.929 km).
So if you do the math, my DS would be hitting 15.300 miles (24.620 km) when oil dilution would reach 6.1%. That's just a little lower than what I do in two years anyways. But in reality, that isn't even true. The oil in the previous sample (see the oil analysis thread) was used for two years and 14.529 miles (23.383 km) and had 4.07% oil dilution. That's approximately 2/3 of the service interval and also 2/3 of the allowed oil dilution. So I don't see an issue here. - The amount of wear metal is a whole different story though.

Greets,
Hauser
Discovery 5 (MY 2017): HSE Luxury, TDV6, Fuji White w. black roof
Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof

PaulCP

Post by PaulCP » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:16 am

Ah OK, my bad, I missed the middle bit of you original post stating that the last section of numbers was for the previous DS :roll:
Now: Lexus RX 450h F Sport + Premier Pack
GONE Jan 2018:- HSE Lux Firenze Red (MY17), Ivory Interior, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Headlights, Surround Cameras,

Previous: Range Rover Sport HSE Black Edn, Ipanema Sand

a2b2

Post by a2b2 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:36 am

Hi
A bit puzzled and would appreciate other’s thoughts.

Just had second interim oil and filter change on my MY17(March) DS. Countdown started at14,800 miles, so dealer agreed the work would be FOC. So far so good.

When I collected the car there was no charge. I wasn’t given any record of the work done. When I got home I logged in to the car’s OSH and found that there was nothing showing since the first interim oil/filter change, which had been done at 6,900 miles.

Starting to get a bit suspicious, I checked the distance to next service message. It read 12,150 miles. I had expected it to be in the range 19,850 to 21,000 miles.

So, I’m wondering if this is all normal.....no paperwork, nothing on OSH and reset to 12,150 miles?
Maybe I should be grateful it was FOC.
I’d be glad of any advice before I go to query all this with the dealer.
MY17 (March) SE Tech 180 Auto..Loire Blue, xenons, deployable towbar, 7 Seats, No Spare.
Previously:
Hillman Husky Estate !!
7 Diff Marques
Audi A4 Quattro Avant (13 years faultless!)

EYR

Post by EYR » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:08 am

I wasn't given anything after the job was done either until I requested it for my own records, they then printed off the invoice that will go to LR. Unsure what the other figures meant though other than the dilution percent :?

Scan.jpg

Santorini black DS 180 MY17, Xenons, Electric deployable towball, Rear camera, heated washers.

a2b2

Post by a2b2 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:35 pm

Many thanks EYR

I hope to get something like the invoice you received, especially since the OSH gives me no evidence of the work having been done.

Coincidentally, my vehicle’s oil dilution was also 6.9%. I have ordered a Millers test kit and will post that result when I have it.

Thanks again
MY17 (March) SE Tech 180 Auto..Loire Blue, xenons, deployable towbar, 7 Seats, No Spare.
Previously:
Hillman Husky Estate !!
7 Diff Marques

Past master

Post by Past master » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:37 pm

Interim oil change doesn't go on OSH as it's not a service as such, merely a warranty item or a goodwill gesture, depending who you speak to. I think some forum members have had it added to OSH on request.
Doesn't seem logical but that's the way it is.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

a2b2

Post by a2b2 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:55 pm

Thanks, Past master.

I get it now; a goodwill gesture not on OSH makes sense.

What confused me (easily done!) was that the first oil and filter change, which was done at 6,900 miles, was entered into the OSH by a Spanish Main dealer. To muddy the waters further, they logged the work as both an oil/filter change and a main service. I’ve been assuming that they couldn’t log the one without the other.

Off now to polish my interrogation skills and find out why my service range was set to 12,150 miles.
Previously:
Hillman Husky Estate !!
7 Diff Marques

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:48 pm

a2b2 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:55 pm
Thanks, Past master.

I get it now; a goodwill gesture not on OSH makes sense.

What confused me (easily done!) was that the first oil and filter change, which was done at 6,900 miles, was entered into the OSH by a Spanish Main dealer. To muddy the waters further, they logged the work as both an oil/filter change and a main service. I’ve been assuming that they couldn’t log the one without the other.

Off now to polish my interrogation skills and find out why my service range was set to 12,150 miles.
They’ll never expect the Spanish Inquisition! :-)
MY19 P240 HSE (on order), Indus, Black Pack, Privacy, Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
MY16 HSE Black, Santorini, Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Detachable Towbar, 2 x USB in 2nd row, Delete Badging.

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”