Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Mamil

Re: Service interval

Post by Mamil » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:26 pm

VeryDiscoSport wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:00 pm
Mamil wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:20 am
Problem remains that the car only issues a service warning at 7% whereas anything over 2% is considered unacceptable by some industry sources :(

And that is the real issue. My oil is no longer 0W-30 and metal parameters are high or above recommended levels. The engine is basically not being lubed properly. It has done 5K miles.....
That's very worrying that the oil isn't doing its job, especially as yours is not even at the point where LR feel it requires an oil change, whether measured on the normal service interval or the fuel dilution calculation.

By the way, what did the soot levels come out as, as I have a suspicion that the EGR results in high soot levels as well?
SE TD4, MY 2016.5, 110kw/150bhp 2.2 PSA Engine, Fuji White/Ebony, Oz towbar, xenon pack. Delivered 25th June 2016, Perth Western Australia.

simon

Post by simon » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:40 pm

Dashnine wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:58 am
Zedman wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:53 am
So the frequency of short or long journeys would affect the service interval fairly significantly then?
I think that's the assumption, i.e. short journeys means failed DPF regens (so not sure if it tries again next trip or waits until the filters full again). Mine kicked off this morning into work and won't have finished - be interesting to see if it kicks in on the way home. There's no actual definition of the 'driving style' mentioned.
How can you tell when a re-gen is happening? My D4 used to growl like a V8 when it did a re-gen but so far I've not noticed any change in exhaust tone or engine performance. I do a lot of motorway, A road and hooing on B roads. Very few short journeys.

Bit worrying that my service indicator was reset at 11K miles (based on LR advice) as am I now driving around with potentially contaminated oil?
There are far better forums to be welcomed at than this one that locks threads because certain members can’t take a bit of criticism :roll:

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:01 pm

simon wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:40 pm
Dashnine wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:58 am
Zedman wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:53 am
So the frequency of short or long journeys would affect the service interval fairly significantly then?
I think that's the assumption, i.e. short journeys means failed DPF regens (so not sure if it tries again next trip or waits until the filters full again). Mine kicked off this morning into work and won't have finished - be interesting to see if it kicks in on the way home. There's no actual definition of the 'driving style' mentioned.
How can you tell when a re-gen is happening? My D4 used to growl like a V8 when it did a re-gen but so far I've not noticed any change in exhaust tone or engine performance. I do a lot of motorway, A road and hooing on B roads. Very few short journeys.

Bit worrying that my service indicator was reset at 11K miles (based on LR advice) as am I now driving around with potentially contaminated oil?
Stop / Start is disabled (it won't stop - unfortunately the dash light is still on), your fuel economy drops through the floor as it injects extra fuel and when you get out the car there can be a 'hot' smell and exhaust tinkling as it cools.

I don't understand why you'd have the early service light with your 'driving profile'. It seems to kick in around 5 minutes into a trip and last about 20-30 minutes, if you're doing very few short journeys you'd think you'd be the last one to have early oil change.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

simon

Post by simon » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:27 pm

Thanks -9

Mine reported an oil service due in 3K miles in the Service menu (I was checking the AdBlue range pre-vacation) not as a warning light... maybe thats why LR said to just reset it ?

Maybe my re-gens happen at speed and I've not noticed then ?

Cheers
There are far better forums to be welcomed at than this one that locks threads because certain members can’t take a bit of criticism :roll:

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:30 pm

simon wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:27 pm
Maybe my re-gens happen at speed and I've not noticed then ?
Most likely, the increased fuel consumption would get hidden in the longer trips average.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

PaulCP

Post by PaulCP » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:36 pm

simon wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:40 pm

Only thing I've noticed is a drastic increase in fuel consumption on a per journey basis and the burning smell when turning the engine off.
Unfortunately the latter probably means that the re-gen is incomplete.
Now: Lexus RX 450h F Sport + Premier Pack
GONE Jan 2018:- HSE Lux Firenze Red (MY17), Ivory Interior, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Headlights, Surround Cameras,

Previous: Range Rover Sport HSE Black Edn, Ipanema Sand

simon

Post by simon » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:42 pm

I guess mostly happens on my lovely drives from Shropshire to Amazingstoke.

VeryDiscoSport

Post by VeryDiscoSport » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:20 pm

During passive regeneration, only a portion of the particulate matter is converted into carbon dioxide. This is because the chemical reaction, which utilises nitrogen dioxide, is slower than the rate of engine production of particulate matter and is effective from 250°C (482°F). Above 580°C the conversion efficiency of the particulates into carbon dioxide rapidly increases. These temperatures are generally only be achieved using the active regeneration process.
This is the reason I said above that it's not just short journeys. The quote is from the downloadable DPF document dated 15 May 2015 - "Exhaust System - INGENIUM I4 2.0L Diesel - Diesel Particulate Filter - System Operation and Component Description". My interpretation of this technical narrative is that even if you were pulling 2500 Kgs of Shire Horse up Mount Snowden, i.e. getting the exhaust really hot, the passive regen would not be sufficient to get rid of all the soot and therefore an active cycle would still occur, at the latest, by 250 miles. And that's when the real dilution occurs. The thing is this. If, like me, you're happy pootling safely along A roads at 50-60 mph, or Motorways at 65-70 mph, then your driving style is going to make the system invoke active cycles on a much more frequent basis and, bingo, there goes your promised 2 year service schedule right there and here comes an oil service every 10-12K miles. What the hell would you have to do with this engine to get, say, 15K miles between services? Has anyone actually gone further than 75% of the promised mileage before needing a service? This would start to look like class action territory were it not for JLRs willingness to change the oil for free for anyone who asks - just like they did a year ago with the Evoque . So everything is ok, then?

No, because there's another great big elephant in the room in the form of all the experts who think that 2% is the maximum safe value for diesel dilution. This view of the world says that, if you run your DS for 12,000 miles and then change the oil because it has (let's be generous) 6% diesel content, you have just treated your engine to 8,000 miles of driving with progressively worsening, sub-standard lubricant. I am so glad I joined this commhnity, saw this threat coming and acted when I did.
2017 DS L-550 2.0 SE Tech 150 6 SPD (Rejected per CRA 2015) :(
2008 RAV4 XA30 2.2D XTR 4WD :)

donnus

Post by donnus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:01 pm

did my service at 12000 km....
its now 17000 km and is showing next service 20100 km !!!! :evil:
8000 KM between services !!!! absolutely not acceptable

i do 100% of travel on highway at 130km/h :x
MY 17 DS 150 HSE, Automatic, 5 seat, Corris grey, with panoramic sun roof and lane departure system.

PedroT

Post by PedroT » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:08 pm

I would be very careful if I was looking for a used DS I
Would be pretty interested in service history and would only buy if it had had an inter oil change, probs anyone buying a 3 year old one means to run vehicle for several years!! Beware I say.
MY16 SE Plus Pano Roof Rev camera removable tow bar. Prev. Kia Sportage

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”