Service interval

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
chicken george

Re: Service interval

Post by chicken george » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:27 am

All this talk of iron in the oil and premature wear is missing the bigger picture affecting all modern diesels, the adblu egr and dpf systems are likely to fail beyond economic repair way before the engine is worn away. And without these systems the car wont be drivable.
In the old days you'd put a new engine in a old car, these days you put new ancillaries onto and existing engine block
March 17. Lux Auto,180 D, cirrus, ivory, black roof, diamond wheels. Tat boot net
"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:00 pm

Well, this morning mine was reading 850 miles to Service.
A quick sprint down the M40 to Oxford (48 miles) at a steady 70-80 mph resulted when shutting engine down at destination 'Service Required'. No mileage left, seemingly! The vehicle has now covered 10609 from new, and has gone from 1100 miles remaining this time last weekend to a big fat Zero today.
Fortunately its booked in on Thursday for its FOC Oil change. As an aside, when I collected this vehicle on 1st August, it's odometer read 9044 miles, with a remaining oil life indication of 9790. In 1500 miles, that has dropped to Zero. Very very disappointed.
17MY HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
13MY HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
12MY HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

SingleSpey

Post by SingleSpey » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:19 pm

DS bought new in March this year and Oil Service due message appeared at the start of this week advisng 1500 miles to service. Have driven just over 100 miles and it is now down at 1250 miles to service. Total mileage on the car is just over 6600......

Called my dealer's service dept this morning, and told them about the sevice due message. The very helpful service agent told me that my car service interval is 21,000 miles and this was a problem with the message indicator not having been set properly. She told me that I could drop in any time to have it reset and it would be perfectly OK to continue driving.

Thanked her, ended call and sent a strongly worded email to the salesman, pointing out that this was misleading and that the service message was due to oil dilution etc etc. Phoned him to confirm receipt, but he isn't in until tomorrow, however the person who answered the call was the same service agent. When I explained why I was contacting my salesman, and that she should have told me earlier that it wasn't a messaging problem but due to oil dilution she dug a deeper hole for herself by telling me that this was all a bit of a grey area. Confirmed that I was following it up with the salesman and ended call.

Salesman has now acknowledged my email and said he will look into this matter next week.

Will update progress.

Rogc

Post by Rogc » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:38 pm

Are you uk based ?
MY18 HSE Lux Dynamic in Corris Gray Diesel 180HP, electric deployable towbar, surround camera system, in control pro.
https://sites.google.com/view/discovery-sport-1/home

VeryDiscoSport

Post by VeryDiscoSport » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:56 pm

chicken george wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:27 am
... the adblu egr and dpf systems are likely to fail beyond economic repair way before the engine is worn away. And without these systems the car wont be drivable.
DPF replacement £1,200 including fitting and VAT. Life expectancy 120,000 miles = 1p per mile. I know it consumes AdBlue but I don't know anything about EGR or other consumables in the after-treatment system. If the engine fails due to high oil dilution it could end up costing me ten times as much.
2019 RAV4 XA50 2.5 Hybrid Excel FWD :D
2017 RAV4 XA40 2.5 Hybrid Excel AWD :)
2017 DS L-550 2.0 SE Tech 150 6 SPD (Rejected per CRA 2015) :(
2008 RAV4 XA30 2.2D XTR 4WD :)

chicken george

Post by chicken george » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:06 pm

I get that , but a combination of all those been broke or aged could write a car off. especially exhaust based stuff as it has a habit of breaking rather than coming apart at repair time.

a backstreet mechanics nightmare/payday in the future.

Atleast its relatively easy to do extra oil changes , failure of all the emmisions gubbins is much more of a pain. None of it good, like I said before its a shame VW got caught cheating, technology just isnt ready for the latest emmisions standards.
March 17. Lux Auto,180 D, cirrus, ivory, black roof, diamond wheels. Tat boot net
"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

HmmmUK

Post by HmmmUK » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:25 pm

VeryDiscoSport wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:56 pm
DPF replacement £1,200 including fitting and VAT. Life expectancy 120,000 miles...

IRL around 70,000 miles (any car) seems to be a common DPF replacement mileage.

I've only looked at Evoque replacement DPFs and they seem cheaper than that - as time goes on and there are more DPFs out there they will get cheaper :)

With AdBlue and SCR it's also all the sensors that add to complications/failures.
Long time Land Rover owner thinking about a new one! ...Bought a MY15 Evoque 2.2L in Nov 17.
80", 90", Range Rover Classic, Freelander, Discovery

VeryDiscoSport

Post by VeryDiscoSport » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:31 pm

SingleSpey wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:19 pm
DS bought new in March this year and Oil Service due message appeared at the start of this week advisng 1500 miles to service. Have driven just over 100 miles and it is now down at 1250 miles to service. Total mileage on the car is just over 6600......

Called my dealer's service dept this morning, and told them about the sevice due message. The very helpful service agent told me that my car service interval is 21,000 miles and this was a problem with the message indicator not having been set properly. She told me that I could drop in any time to have it reset and it would be perfectly OK to continue driving.

Thanked her, ended call and sent a strongly worded email to the salesman, pointing out that this was misleading and that the service message was due to oil dilution etc etc. Phoned him to confirm receipt, but he isn't in until tomorrow, however the person who answered the call was the same service agent. When I explained why I was contacting my salesman, and that she should have told me earlier that it wasn't a messaging problem but due to oil dilution she dug a deeper hole for herself by telling me that this was all a bit of a grey area. Confirmed that I was following it up with the salesman and ended call.

Salesman has now acknowledged my email and said he will look into this matter next week.

Will update progress.
Sorry to hear about your experience SS. On the positive front, though, think what would have happened if you hadn't known about this forum? Now think of the thousands of other owners out there who remain blissfully ignorant about the rubbish that they are still being told. I think any improvement in attitude and service levels needs to come from the organ grinder, only then can we expect the monkeys to fall in line - the problem at the moment seems to be hearing loss on the part of the organ grinder. I am going to write to Watchdog in the next few days to open up another avenue of complaint. If anyone else wants to shake the tree with me their web address is: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

RogueTraders.JPG

VeryDiscoSport

Post by VeryDiscoSport » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:34 pm

HmmmUK wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:25 pm

IRL around 70,000 miles (any car) seems to be a common DPF replacement mileage.
Do you have any sources for the 70K? I'd love to quote this back to the dealer if it can be substantiated. It's precisely the sort of thing that will push me over the edge into rejection.

HmmmUK

Post by HmmmUK » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:48 pm

Obviously it's hard to say how long a DS DPF will last as it's still relatively new - and it all depends on "driving style" :lol:

I got the 70,000 miles after watching a few YT videos about replacing them. When this came up before I was surprised you didn't realise they were a consumable item. To me something that only needs to be changed once or twice or so in a vehicles life isn't so bad. I've got Land Rovers with drive belts!

What's the source for your 120,000 miles?
Long time Land Rover owner thinking about a new one! ...Bought a MY15 Evoque 2.2L in Nov 17.
80", 90", Range Rover Classic, Freelander, Discovery

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”