Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
VeryDiscoSport

Re: Service interval

Post by VeryDiscoSport » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:19 am

Woolmeister wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:41 am
vaise wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:50 am
Viscosity @ 40oC 33% below ISO standard.

Well if you put oil that was 33% below ISO standard in your engine, I'm pretty sure you would blow your warranty. Put that to Land Rover and see what they say.

Steve
Saying Iron is "elevated" is a bit non-committal. "Iron is above the recommended limit, therefore the oil should be changed" would be much harder to argue with. And, based on what every other lab says, it would be an accurate statement. Good luck.
2017 DS L-550 2.0 SE Tech 150 6 SPD (Rejected per CRA 2015) :(
2008 RAV4 XA30 2.2D XTR 4WD :)

Mark Geraghty

Post by Mark Geraghty » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:17 pm

Having had an oil and filter change yesterday I've been told JLR are acutely aware of the issue and that 4-5,000 miles between oil changes is highly likely now. And if you had a service plan, every oil change will be included. It's a right mess IMO but fortunately my dealer appears to be on the ball with it. I just hope they have a petrol hybrid in 3/4 years time. I've been driving diesel cars for about 25 years (a very early fan) and have always preferred derv to petrol. But Euro 6 appears to have been so difficult to achieve I'd be extremely nervous at how a Euro 7 or 8 engine can work without further ruining the dream. In every other area I love the DS and still enjoy driving it every day. If I had to swap right now my only other options would be a Kodiak, the 7 seat Tiguan or a second hand Q7 or XC90. Right now though I'd have to consider another DS as economy and servicing aside I still think it's the best luxury compact 7 seater on the market at the moment.
MY17 HSE Lux 180 Auto. 5+2 seating. Santorini black & ivory leather. Running boards, roof rails & mud guards. Collected 28.12.16 from the excellent Marshalls of Melton Mowbray.
Gone - '57 Volvo V70 D5, SEAT Toldedo Tdi, Golf GT Tdi, Golf TD

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:27 pm

That's about the milage I do in a year and I could actually live with having oil and filter changes on that basis.

My dealer is well aware of the problem and has already offered to help where necessary and that's a major factor for me.

I know that VW are having even bigger problems than all other manufacturers (LR are by no means alone on this) in that they are scared sh**less about anything even remotely related to this.
MB GLC 250d.
Gone: 2 x DS TD4. Both rejected - B pillar ticking.
Evoque TD4. Increasing problems.

Zedman

Post by Zedman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:49 pm

Mark Geraghty wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:17 pm
Having had an oil and filter change yesterday I've been told JLR are acutely aware of the issue and that 4-5,000 miles between oil changes is highly likely now. And if you had a service plan, every oil change will be included. It's a right mess IMO but fortunately my dealer appears to be on the ball with it. I just hope they have a petrol hybrid in 3/4 years time. I've been driving diesel cars for about 25 years (a very early fan) and have always preferred derv to petrol. But Euro 6 appears to have been so difficult to achieve I'd be extremely nervous at how a Euro 7 or 8 engine can work without further ruining the dream. In every other area I love the DS and still enjoy driving it every day. If I had to swap right now my only other options would be a Kodiak, the 7 seat Tiguan or a second hand Q7 or XC90. Right now though I'd have to consider another DS as economy and servicing aside I still think it's the best luxury compact 7 seater on the market at the moment.
Mark, this is absolutely nail on the head. That is exactly what a senior engine designer at JLR told me in confidence! The only contradiction is he advised me to get the oil changed at 10,000 mile intervals and there would be no 'catastrophic' engine failure or 'significant wear'! Most manufacturers of Euro 6 diesel engines are having all sorts of issues.
MY17 HSE Black Auto in Fuji White. Ordered 24th April 2017. Build date 9th June 2017. Del 1st August.

The garage: 2013 Nissan 370Z Nismo, 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900GT, 2001 Suzuki GSX750.

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:28 pm

I think JLR will have to continue with the goodwill oil changes for those of us not on a service plan. If they try to renage on this very moot point, I daresay that they will have thousands of vehicles rejected on the basis that it doesn't conform to its advertised schedule. I hope that they are following this entire thread with as much interest as the rest of us are!!
17MY HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
13MY HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
12MY HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

Discofixer

Post by Discofixer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:49 pm

Sales literature and handbooks have been updated to say that interim oil services may be required service plans were updated to include these from August. Any one with a car registered from August who didn't take out a service plan will be charged for oil and filter change. cars registered prior to August will continue to have interim oil and filter changes as goodwill. Earlier in this thread someone asked if any one had done 21kk between services the answer is yes we have several cars which do. But all of them will have done 100k plus before the end of there lease as for longevity we have a two year old ingenium engined evoke which had it's 84k service last week unfortunately it appears that euro 6 has killed the diesel engine for private and low mileage motorists my d4 non ddpf will be replaced with a petrol vehicle as short urban commute to work will cause me nothing but grief with a newer diesel

Woolmeister

Post by Woolmeister » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:41 am

Is it still the case that cars on a service plan - registered before August 2017 - will only get goodwill oil changes up to 50,000 miles as detailed in JLRP00100?

After that, I guess I need to be servicing my car every 10k miles or so, rather than every 21k miles (which was always going to be unattainable). This is the contentious bit for me. I did not sign-up for this when I bought this car as a long term replacement for my D3.

Steve
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey
Opening Panoramic Roof, Virtual Cockpit, Canton Sound, Adaptive Cruise Control, Adaptive LED Headlamps, Heated Steering Wheel, Reverse Camera, Side Steps

GONE - 17MY HSE Auto 180 - JUNK

Zedman

Post by Zedman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:44 am

I wonder where I stand with my DS. I ordered the car on 24th April and took delivery on 1st Aug. Following advice on this forum I asked the question about a 21K oil service before I ordered the car, the day I took delivery and several times in between to be given the same answer. Surely the interim goodwill oil and filter changes should be available to those owners who ordered before 1st Aug?
MY17 HSE Black Auto in Fuji White. Ordered 24th April 2017. Build date 9th June 2017. Del 1st August.

The garage: 2013 Nissan 370Z Nismo, 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900GT, 2001 Suzuki GSX750.

Mark Geraghty

Post by Mark Geraghty » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:21 am

Zedman wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:44 am
I wonder where I stand with my DS. I ordered the car on 24th April and took delivery on 1st Aug. Following advice on this forum I asked the question about a 21K oil service before I ordered the car, the day I took delivery and several times in between to be given the same answer. Surely the interim goodwill oil and filter changes should be available to those owners who ordered before 1st Aug?
Online, JLR are still advertising the DS with a 21k service time!!! Surely trading standards, trades descriptions etc. would be alarmed to see that?
MY17 HSE Lux 180 Auto. 5+2 seating. Santorini black & ivory leather. Running boards, roof rails & mud guards. Collected 28.12.16 from the excellent Marshalls of Melton Mowbray.
Gone - '57 Volvo V70 D5, SEAT Toldedo Tdi, Golf GT Tdi, Golf TD

Woolmeister

Post by Woolmeister » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:16 am

I've already taken advice from Trading Standards and I believe they have opened a case against JLR on this matter.

No idea what happens next; I guess we get the popcorn in and sit back and watch. :lol:

Steve
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey
Opening Panoramic Roof, Virtual Cockpit, Canton Sound, Adaptive Cruise Control, Adaptive LED Headlamps, Heated Steering Wheel, Reverse Camera, Side Steps

GONE - 17MY HSE Auto 180 - JUNK

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”