Service interval

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Barnsh

Re: Service interval

Post by Barnsh » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:44 am

I went straight to Speth though !
Got this back
As Dr Speth is presently out of the country, please allow me to acknowledge and thank you for your email on his behalf.

Dr Speth will read your note on his travels and be disappointed to hear of the experiences you have had with your Land Rover Discovery Sports.

I appreciate you do not want me to pass your note to our Customer Services team, however please do allow me in Dr Speth's absence to send a copy of our exchange to Jeremy Hicks who, as Managing Director for Jaguar Land Rover in the UK, is in the best position to look into the concerns you have had. Jeremy will ask a member of his dedicated Executive Office team to get in touch with you directly to discuss. Please be assured they will keep Dr Speth and I fully informed.
I know Dr Speth will be so sorry you have had cause to contact him directly but will appreciate you taking the time and trouble to bring this to his attention.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

peejayk

Post by peejayk » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:47 pm

Hopefully these mails aren't just noise to keep the recipients quiet for a while...

I dropped mine in this morning. On the subject of oil dilution, he said it was no problem to give me the current reading when they obtained it, but he did point out that

"We don't do the oil/filter change unless the dilution has reached 7%" :-/

So, providing they don't suddenly decide to do a change on this visit, I'll be taking a sample & sending off to Millers when I get the car back (syringe kit was due yesterday but hadn't arrived yet to take it before dropping the car off).
MY17 SE Tech Auto 180, Corris Grey, Heavy duty tow-bar, Rear Camera, Xenon Pack

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:18 pm

The recent posts show that there clearly are different ways to deal with a problem.

I’m a firm believer in only escalating as far as is necessary leaving further possibilities open. I also don’t want to do anything to alienate my dealer principal unless all other efforts fail. His help is worth far more than from anyone else. I also know who my alternative dealers are and there is no way that a dealer conglomerate owned by a major Swiss organisation can offer any semblance of personal service. That’s what I need in this kind of situation.

The main thing is we all get what is justifiable ours and it’s up to each of us how we go about it. There is no single right way just the way that gets us where we need to be.
Gone: 2 x DS TD4. Rejected B pillar ticking.
Evoque TD4. Increasing problems.
Arrived: MB GLC 250d.

HamsterWheel

Post by HamsterWheel » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:54 pm

LOL - I had the exact same words in response to my email to Dr Speth this week regarding my spare wheel issue. They do though appear to be getting into gear to resolve the problem.
Petrol 240 SE Tech Byron Blue, grey wheels, Cirrus seats, rear privacy glass, dipping mirror, SPARE WHEEL! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:06 pm

HamsterWheel wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:54 pm
LOL - I had the exact same words in response to my email to Dr Speth this week regarding my spare wheel issue. They do though appear to be getting into gear to resolve the problem.
That doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. Let’s hope that they will get it sorted (service interval issue) before too long but heaven only knows how.
Last edited by Chippy on Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone: 2 x DS TD4. Rejected B pillar ticking.
Evoque TD4. Increasing problems.
Arrived: MB GLC 250d.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:16 pm

HamsterWheel wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:54 pm
Yep spare wheel is easier sorted rather than defective chassis build and engine configuration.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

billdun

Post by billdun » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:33 pm

Just posted my oil analysis results and they look truly awful. At 6450 miles the viscosity was 8.38 cSt, the Fe 203 ppm and the fuel dilution 5.2% (the SDD said 7%). A quick extrapolation (assuming the relationship is linear) indicates that the engine may have done around 4500 miles with the oil viscosity below the minimum for a 0w30.
Bill
MY17 SE Tech 150

Woolmeister

Post by Woolmeister » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:39 pm

Agree - they are some of the worst I've seen on here to date. Sorry to see this, Bill.

Out of interest, are you able to shed any light on the kinds of journeys you are making in your car? I'm certainly not going to play the "driving style" card, but I'm curious to understand if there is a correlation between the kinds of journeys you do and the high level of oil dilution within such a short distance.

Steve
17MY HSE Auto 180 in Carpathian Grey with Ebony Leather, Privacy Glass, Roof Rails, and Row 2 USB.
Stereophonic B Pillar Ticking (No Cost Option) and a horrendous auto box.
DISCO3.CO.UK Member - Trying a DS for a while - Meh
MINI Cooper D Convertible

billdun

Post by billdun » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:58 pm

Service manager at supplying dealer tried the driving style card but to be fair he didn't push the issue. The car lives in a rural location so, yes, there are some short trips to the nearest town 3-4 miles but lots of longer trips as well to reach civilisation - mainly on quietish A roads but some motorway trips as well. All in all quite varied but with virtually no stop start heavy city traffic.
MY17 SE Tech 150

VeryDiscoSport

Post by VeryDiscoSport » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:07 pm

peejayk wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:47 pm
"We don't do the oil/filter change unless the dilution has reached 7%" :-/
Fine, that's all the dealer has the authorisation to do. This is where your oil report comes in because, when an oil testing laboratory puts their signature to a statement starting, "We recommend that this oil be changed now due to...", CRC can't afford to risk the consequences of NOT funding the oil change. They know full well that they are treading on egg-shells by allowing these levels of diesel dilution because always present with the dilution will be either or both:

1) high traces of wear metals ( "wear" as in "at present something is wearing bits off your engine"); and,
2) reduced viscosity (increases friction, accelerates the wearing process, impedes the oil's protective qualities).

What I do is take the sample of oil and get it analysed. If it comes back OK with a green tick, that's all well and good and I keep on driving. But I also do the maths to work out when the first parameter is going over the top. The sample I took at 2032 miles since last oil change showed:

1.3% dilution - caution level of 2% will be reached at 2032 * (2.0 / 1.3) = 3126 miles
Fe 91ppm - industry limit of 100ppm will be reached at 2032 * (100 / 91) = 2233 miles
Viscosity 9.32 cSt - will be out of grade at 2032 * ( (9.5 - 9.3) / (9.5 - 9.32)) = 2257 miles

I showed the dealer the figures and said that I would be asking for the oil change no later than 2233 miles. They took the Millers Oils report, emailed it to CRC and the free of charge goodwill was agreed within hours.

If the report comes back with Dilution > 2%, any wear metal over limit or the oil is out of grade, Millers will fail it. Get the dealer to send the fail report with the request for goodwill, job done.
17MY DS150PS 6 speed manual. Rejected as "not of satisfactory quality", "not as described", Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”