Discovery Sport Forum banner

Service interval

1M views 3K replies 215 participants last post by  Past master 
#1 ·
My DS, first registered in November 2015 has covered 8910 miles.
A few days ago, on the InControl App, a Service Due Alert message appeared advising that my car is due for a service.
This coincided with an occasional message (on first start up of the day) saying that the oil level is low. This message did not stay, but disappeared once the tyre setting message had been displayed. I checked the oil level on the dipstick and it is showing full.
I spoke to my dealer who says that maybe due to the type of driving I have been doing (!!) the car needs an oil and filter change.
Anybody else had a similar experience?

Attachments

#3,227 ·
Bought mine with 12k on the clock, just over 2 years old and the dealer had serviced in line with 2 year requirement. I noticed after about 2k of motoring the oil service counter was targeting a service at about 30300. Then due to problems with my sat nav, the dealer updated both satnav and IN Control Touch software. Satnav now fine, however oil service counter is maintaining a new service target of around 31500. Not sure the car ever had a 21k target programmed but I'm playing safe and although I have a service pack, I will just have to pay for an interim oil change soon as I have just passed 20k on the clock.
Obvious there was some tinkering done with the software update.

#3,228 ·
I am a very happy DS Landmark owner...well so far anyway.
I keep seeing posts about don't buy a diesel DS 180 if you don't do a high mileage.
I don't, probably about it 5k per year.....but I do very few short journeys, most are 30 miles or longer and often on motorways and very few are about town.
Although I am not mechanically minded, my theory is that my car will reach its 2 year service interval long before the service interval warning occurs or before oil dilution will be a problem.
Would appreciate your feedback....there must be others in the same boat as me?

#3,230 ·
My 2 3/4 year old 23k miles DS is due another service in a week.
Im fairly sure it's due to the oil dilution, plus last time I added a bit of oil the DS started complaining about it.
My main pain with the d180 is the semi regular pestering to clear the DPF :-(
One of the reasons DS replacement is (when it arrives) a P300 F-Pace

#3,231 ·
I think your usage is likely to keep you clear of oil dilution. I am on my second DS,; did 60,000 miles in the first and already 13, 000 in the second and no issues. I do oil change every 10-11,000 anyway as good practice!.

#3,232 ·
Chris b said:
I think your usage is likely to keep you clear of oil dilution. I am on my second DS,; did 60,000 miles in the first and already 13, 000 in the second and no issues. I do oil change every 10-11,000 anyway as good practice!.
How will he be clear of oil dilution? There will still be active regens meaning oil dilution, albeit with perhaps fewer restarted regens. You'll have had active regens and dilution too, but changing the oil at means no long term damage (which is what I assume you mean by no issues).

#3,233 ·
My driving use and, perhaps, more use of premium Diesel, means less particulates in DPF and fewer forced regens. I check the oil regularly and have not seen any increase in the level which would be the case for significant oil dilution (yes, unless oil consumption > fuel leaking in). Also maybe my 10,000 mile oil changes preempt any effect of any dilution that is happening.

#3,234 ·
If you drive purely NSL/Motorway roads with each journey lasting a minimum of 30 minutes, within 10 months and 8000 actual miles driven, your 'Miles to Service' counter will be reading circa 5000 miles remaining

A Millers analysis will give a diesel dilution of 7.6%, and an SDD interrogation will confirm 8%.

This on a vehicle with N289 installed (which raises the algorithm to 10%), and fresh oil and filter plus a full reset 10 months ago.

Despite 'optimum driving conditions', this oil is dangerously diluted at 8000 miles, and estimates are that it will do perhaps 1500-2000 miles before it hits 10%, based on current driving style.

N289 does not eradicate the problem. It merely disguises the actual damage that is being caused to the engine behind the scenes by being operated at high speeds, and the first that you will know about it is when it goes bang (which is inevitable).

I would suggest that you ignore all claims about service intervals, and have the oil and filter changed every 12 months. If only for peace of mind. Like we all used to do. Leave the marketing lies to the fleet market.

#3,237 ·
CocoPops said:
I wonder what differences the PTA platform has I've the D8 platform...
Waiting for someone to get under there with a camera (relying on you CG), or someone new to the forum with a MY20 complains about an early service required notification!

G
#3,238 ·
Dashnine said:
CocoPops said:
Waiting for someone to get under there with a camera (relying on you CG), or someone new to the forum with a MY20 complains about an early service required notification!
One would hope that JLR had largely resolved the issues affecting the previous model but only time will tell.

They still refuse to define "slow speed, short duration drive cycles" though.

I came to the conclusion that our normal daily drive cycle of a return distance of 40 miles, 90% of which was on dual carriageway with 4 roundabouts each way, with one 400 mile return journey every month wasn't suitable to the car (180d). Not because of the distance but more because the one way 20 mile journey only took 20-25 minutes which was insufficient time for the car to complete a DPF regeneration, hence the service intervals of 7k-8k due to oil dilution.

#3,240 ·
PaulCP said:
36ABBEDF-E96A-4ED8-BB3B-97474BC95FC2.png
And there lies the problem which JLR know about and admit.
Engineering challenges ......! 😂😂

That's a useful document for rejection to be fair !🤔

#3,241 ·
PaulCP said:
Dashnine said:
CocoPops said:
One would hope that JLR had largely resolved the issues affecting the previous model but only time will tell.

They still refuse to define "slow speed, short duration drive cycles" though.

I came to the conclusion that our normal daily drive cycle of a return distance of 40 miles, 90% of which was on dual carriageway with 4 roundabouts each way, with one 400 mile return journey every month wasn't suitable to the car (180d). Not because of the distance but more because the one way 20 mile journey only took 20-25 minutes which was insufficient time for the car to complete a DPF regeneration, hence the service intervals of 7k-8k due to oil dilution.
DEFINITION:
"slow speed, short duration drive cycles"

"Anything that causes the customer to complain about DPF it oil dilution , regardless of driving style used"

#3,242 ·
Posts meted as we seem to be creating new threads in the same topic of dilution and service interval.

#3,243 ·
PaulCP said:
[IMG=https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/download/file.php?id=9464][/IMG]
Any chance that we could see the whole publication now that you've whetted our appetites?

It would be very useful for people like this nurse who is metaphorically - probably literally - banging her head against a wall after being missold a diesel Evoque. The denials of responsibility expressed are appalling though, as this forum knows, far from unique.

I have an Evoque which is leased through Arnold Clark . I got it in September 2016 and had only had it about 8 weeks when the first problem with the DPF occurred . Nearly 3 years down the line it has been in garage approx 22 times! It has had 4 new filters and as I write this it is back in requiring a 5th! The last time just before Christmas they were refusing to replace filter under warranty and there then became a stand off between Land Rover and Arnold clark leasing company who were also refusing to pay . Meanwhile I was caught in the middle getting calls from the garage suggesting that I pay! Eventually it was repaired as a "goodwill gesture" but with the threat to me that if it happened again I would be made to pay the next one and that one!! I am a community nurse and we are encouraged to lease cars through our hospital leasing dept so we can be reliable yet this is the most unreliable car I have ever had and I tell anyone who admires it just what it is really like. I pay a substantial amount towards my lease each month and expect good service however the last 3 years have just been appalling! I feel disbelieved and totally unsupported by the leasing company who seem to take the side of Land Rover who keep claiming it is my fault and due to driving style !! I am a community nurse making house calls so obviously I am going to be making lots of shortish journeys each week - I can't change my job and at no point during the securing of my lease did anyone warn me that the Evoque had such a unique filter regeneration system compared to most other diesels . I have had diesel cars for the last 20 years and my last couple of cars ( Honda and Audi) had filters but I never had any problem with them at all. In fact the Audi was only in garage once for a service in the 3 years I had it ! I also do a reasonable amount of motorway driving particularly at weekends as my son plays sports matches all over the country . It doesn't seem to make a difference though as even when I have done a very long motorway drive the amber dpf warning light has come on days later ! Engine transmission fault light has also come on countless times and that has accounted for at least 6 garage trips in a 2 month period . The garage would Say they fixed it and by the time I got home the light would have come on again ! Service warning lights coming on when it doesn't need a service - the list of problems goes on and on. For the past year I have been trying to reject the car but leasing company refused to let me out of lease without paying hefty penalty . I feel constantly anxious about driving the car and am always scanning the dashboard for the DPF warning light. The minute it goes on I rush to motorway and drive up and down to clear it . This has caused all sorts of inconvenience- made me miss or be late for appointments . The problem is that you can't predict when this is going to happen. I have many talents but being psychic is not one of them ! I had no problem from December until May this year and thought finally we had turned a corner . The amber light only went on about twice during that time and I promptly reacted to this and did the regeneration .(Last year the light was going on every week at one point so at least this was an improvement) By the way my driving pattern has not changed at all so go figure that out ! However this week I was driving when the amber light came on - it could only have been 40 secs when it then changed to red ! How on earth can that be a sufficient warning ! I had no opportunity to resolve it ! Apparently the filter is choked yet I regenerated it after an other amber warning last week ! I predict another wrangle ahead between me, the leasing company and land Rover . I have had enough - totally worn down by this car and it's problems - the last few weeks I have been in tears countless times and a lot of this is just pure anger and frustration ! I can't plan holidays as I don't know how car is going to be . I have lost count of the amount of precious NHS hours that have been lost , patients let down because I have had to cancel and reschedule appointments due to having no transport . Endless trips to garages, waiting on Land Rover assistance coming out , waiting on courtesy cars being sourced , aimlessly driving up and down motorways to avert another disaster to the DPF. I have written lengthy emails to Arnold Clark complaining and requesting that they get me another car or else let me out my lease so I can get one elsewhere. They don't even have the courtesy to reply to me personally although I know that they are in contact with my hospital car leasing department and have read them ! They seem to blindly accept land rovers line - i.e it is my fault . I have spoken to many Land Rover assistance guys , garage staff , independent mechanics and loads have told me "off the record" that the DPF is a major problem and one that Land Rover is well are of. The problem is as far as I can see that they can't really do anything about as it is a design fault. Obviously they are phasing out diesels and it won't be a problem much longer - not much use for all the poor people stuck with the old models ! I have another year of my lease to go but I can't face another year of anxiety and misery so this is the end for me . I am taking my complaint to the chief executive of leasing company then the ombudsman if still no satisfactory resolution. Whilst I am saddened from reading on this forum that there are so many others in same position I am at least heartened that this proves it is not just me and it is not my fault . There is something clearly fundamentally wrong with the car. I for one would never have a Range Rover again and I actively discourage anyone who is thinking about getting one not to !!
https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/forums/reply/171284/
https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/forums/topic/miss-sold-diesel-with-dpf-problems/

G
#3,245 ·
CocoPops said:
That's my concern.
I do 6miles each way daily with much longer weekend use.
6miles takes 20mins, stop start A/B/local roads.
It's too early to know. There were reports that the 240d was proving to be not as bad as the 180, but the bulletin from JLR doesn't inspire confidence.

In your position I would have gone the safer more predicable route and opted for the petrol version

#3,246 ·
PaulCP said:
CocoPops said:
That's my concern.
I do 6miles each way daily with much longer weekend use.
6miles takes 20mins, stop start A/B/local roads.
It's too early to know. There were reports that the 240d was proving to be not as bad as the 180, but the bulletin from JLR doesn't inspire confidence.

In your position I would have gone the safer more predicable route and opted for the petrol version
Just put my DS in the garage as the engine compartment had a burning smell coming from it and I asked them to check the oil as it had been 5000 miles since my last service. They have just phoned and stated that I need a new dpf, oil n filter change and new boot struts, the dpf and oil are goodwill gestures and boot under warranty work! Remind me again why I have hired a lawyer to reject the car 🤔 This car does two journeys a week, both over 200 miles with no short stop start journeys at all!!! 47000 miles on the clock, I know people say all cars have issues but in 32 years of driving many different makes n models this one takes the pi.......

#3,247 ·
Rejection on misrepresentation.

I just mentioned this act in an email to my dealer and my worries were over when changing to the FPace.

Misrepresentation makes your contract null and void, regardless of whether the misrepresentation was intentional or accidental on the dealers behalf.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1967/7/data.pdf

#3,248 ·
The good thing about that legislation is that it gives someone the right to a legal exit from their contract with or without a deliberate deception having taken place on the part of the dealer.

If the dealer says that JLR didn't make them aware at the time of the sale that there were known problems it's innocent misrepresentation under S1. How can you assert that there is a problem and that JLR knew about it? Just produce JLRP00100 and this latest document. Only a fool would try and say that there isn't a particular problem with the D8 cars - its all there in BLACK/RED and white and it was written by JLR.

If they deliberately misled anyone to secure the sale, it's the same deal regarding the contract but now you are additionally entitled to damages under S2.

It's crystal clear: nobody should be stuck with a car that is playing up just because it isn't being driven in a particular fashion.

Edited to add - Just noticed that S3 outlaws any attempt to push responsibility onto the owner, i.e. by the signed disclaimers that have been circulated. They are not worth the price of the paper they are printed on.

#3,249 ·
What a sad tale of woe from the nurse :( but not surprised :eek:

Land Rover are taking the P!!!! out of all of us and have done for many years,I should know having owned 3 new Range Rovers 3 Discovery's one of the first D3s delivered to a private owner in the UK.Only one disco did behave for 30000 miles without fault :eek: one of the Range Rovers made it 300mts from the dealer :lol: :lol: :lol: .Its your money JLR will NEVER see 1more penny from me,they have made there bed with the disco sport and imho all those with there own engines from euro6 demands they just rushed it and you will pick up the bill. Our local postman hears more tales of woe than most his nickname for them JLR made by British Leyland :lol: enough said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.