AdBlue/DEF Range Thread

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Dashnine

Re: AdBlue/DEF Range Thread

Post by Dashnine » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:40 am

I wouldn’t assume it was full to begin with, it’s like getting a full tank of fuel without asking!
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

DiscoSportDave

Post by DiscoSportDave » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:05 pm

Dashnine wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:40 am
I wouldn’t assume it was full to begin with, it’s like getting a full tank of fuel without asking!
I hear what you are saying (and i'm the least trusting person of dealerships !), but the last thing i want to do is start pouring in fresh Adblue only to find i max it out, overfill / spill.
MY19 Landmark - Narvik Black, Traffic Sign Recognition, Reduced Spare Wheel, Alloy Pedals

Ian_S

Post by Ian_S » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:45 pm

Yes you can over fill the AdBlue, and actually later cars have quite substantially increased consumption as well.

So personally I would leave it alone until you get the low DEF message and then you should be fine to dump a 10L bottle in.

Then you'll know if the tank was full or not as either your range figure will be much higher or you will simply be back to where you started,
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

Tadjer46

Post by Tadjer46 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:45 pm

Hi,
I recently had my engine light come on, it usually comes on but quickly goes out, after a week of it staying on I decided to call Land Rover assist, The mechanic how came out was excellent whilst he connected his gadgets to my car checking all the fault history and clearing 3 fault messages he informed me that my car needed engine, transmission and gear selector software updates installing, he installed all the latest software and still the engine light was on, I happened to mention I topped up the adblue tank a couple of weeks ago. He electronically checked the level of adblue and told me I'd overfilled it, he then proceeded to drain the tank by 3ltrs and the engine light went out.
There is no warning for overfilling or any mention in the handbook re: overfilling, so the tank is 16ltrs but the max you should put in is 14.5 ltrs, as there is no way of knowing how much is in the tank he told me to wait ubtil the car tells me it's low then put no more than 10ltrs in, the car tells you it's low when it's down to 3.5 - 4ltrs so 10 Ltrs is about right.
Excellent mechanic.
Hope this info helps.
Tadjer

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”