DPF Cleaner Additive?

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
SarahStreet

Re: DPF Cleaner Additive?

Post by SarahStreet » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:41 pm

Not a million miles away Jules, it is timed at 22 minutes, however is still burning soot for up to 10 minutes in residual exhaust heat (+600°) for a good 5-7 minutes after successful regeneration.

As mentioned elsewhere, soot is not so much the issue, Ash is the DPF killer. The only way to remove it is DPF off car and pressure flushed away. Chemicals don’t remove it on their own. Circa 40k miles intervals should see you ok.

Andy131

Post by Andy131 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 am

I wonder has the DPF regime changed?
Our old DS would do an active regen every 200 miles or so, noticeable as a rise in fuel consumption and the stop/start non-function.
The newer 240 DS to the best of my knowledge hasn't done an active regen, it certainly doesn't add fuel to the oil as the level goes down fractionally between 10,000 mile oil changes. The old DS would lift the oil level by >6mm every 10,000 miles.

Logic would say that a higher combustion temperature would create smaller soot particles / less soot, so higher cetane rating = less loading on the DPF.
But ash is ash, small particle or large it will eventually kill the DPF unless a it can be emptied. I wonder how many "washes" it will take before a new DPF is needed, I get the feeling in time I will find out :cry:
2018 DS HSE Lux.
2017 DS HSE auto, for 45k nice (grey!) car.
2014 Ewok for 6 months, really really rubbish.
2008 FL2 for 185k miles, should have kept her.
2006 FL1 for 110k miles, brilliant car.
2000 FL1 for 100k miles, fell apart but started the LR bug

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:05 pm

Andy131 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:50 am
I wonder has the DPF regime changed?
Our old DS would do an active regen every 200 miles or so, noticeable as a rise in fuel consumption and the stop/start non-function.
The newer 240 DS to the best of my knowledge hasn't done an active regen, it certainly doesn't add fuel to the oil as the level goes down fractionally between 10,000 mile oil changes. The old DS would lift the oil level by >6mm every 10,000 miles.

Logic would say that a higher combustion temperature would create smaller soot particles / less soot, so higher cetane rating = less loading on the DPF.
But ash is ash, small particle or large it will eventually kill the DPF unless a it can be emptied. I wonder how many "washes" it will take before a new DPF is needed, I get the feeling in time I will find out :cry:
The D240 has a different exhaust architecture from the D150/D180 and the newer versions of those, it doesn’t have the SCRF unit under the car with combined DPF and AdBlu injection functions that doesn’t get hot enough for passive regen. So the D240 probably does more passive regens, hence less active and less failed active regens.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black