DPF Cleaner Additive?

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
41jules1967

DPF Cleaner Additive?

Post by 41jules1967 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:33 pm

For the most part, a long run in our DS, especially these days, involves 15 mins in traffic and 5 up a motorway at 70, the rest of the time is <2 miles so not ideal DPF territory.
Had the car for 4 months so far, and not had a problem, but prevention is better than cure so considering buying some of this.

Cheap enough to use every month or 2 and if it helps the system keep the DPF clean and shiny, that in conjunction with the Millers Dieselmax I tend to use regularly anyway should in theory help keep things on the right side.

Anyone think it's a bad idea?
2019 Discovery Sport 180 HSE Lux 7 seat & spare wheel - (DIY Fitted Towbar, Mudflaps, Wireless charging pad, Side Steps )
2012 Jaguar XF-S Premium Luxury
Previous - Mercedes (Various C & E Classes), 2 x Freelander2's

sandbox

Re: DPF Cleaner Additive?

Post by sandbox » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:40 pm

I am trialling Miller's EcoMax during the winter months. Car feels quicker at picking up and I am getting some very good MPGs. That could all be due to the fewer cars on the road of course!

https://www.millersoils.co.uk/products/ ... er-ecomax/

They also do a DPF cleaner:

https://www.millersoils.co.uk/products/ ... generator/
2016 D180 Auto

DiscoSportDave

Post by DiscoSportDave » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:31 pm

I've used Millers Ecomax on various cars and on the DS. My last bottle ran out about the start of March. So all my short journeys in lockdown (200+ of them <2 miles) were done without any additives. I've not had any issues, no warnings.

In the last 6 weeks I have completed a few 15 miles journeys, a couple of 50 miles, and last weekend ca 400 miles on a weekend away in Devon (at 45mpg btw).

I'm not sure how these additives survive the temperatures of combustion and the exhaust temps in order to do any good - i sometimes think they're snake oil; although in the case of Millers it is good for the increased economy you can achieve with it (proven over 5 cars, 70k miles in my case).
MY19 Landmark - Narvik Black, Traffic Sign Recognition, Reduced Spare Wheel, Alloy Pedals

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:49 pm

+1 for the Millers, particularly if one is regularly using supermarket fuel.

Wynns also do a decent DPF Cleaner additive for about a tenner in Halfords. Chucking a bottle of that a couple of times a year probably can't do any harm, and *may* just do what they claim that it does (I,e reducing soot combustion temperature, thus keeping the DPF cleaner, for longer)

Who knows? The majority of engine additives are predominantly kerosene based, the rest is all clever marketing.....

41jules1967

Post by 41jules1967 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:34 am

Thanks all. I'll probably buy some. Of course, like everything I'll never actually know if it does any good but anecdotally I've been using Millers for years and never had any EGR valve or Turbo actuator issues so maybe it does keep things cleaner. For the DPF cleaner, again, who knows but worth a shot.
2019 Discovery Sport 180 HSE Lux 7 seat & spare wheel - (DIY Fitted Towbar, Mudflaps, Wireless charging pad, Side Steps )

jtaylor2005

Post by jtaylor2005 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:56 am

I wouldn't waste your money on that one. It doesn't contain anything fancy at all. Just hydrocarbons (diesel / petrol / naptha) and 2-ehn which is a cetane improver. You can get 2-EHN in much higher doses in other additives like the Millers one or Diesel Rhino.

You can see the MSDS here. https://sichdatonline.chemical-check.de ... 019_EN.pdf

The proper DPF additives do actually contain a catalyst that helps lower the temperature in which the soot burns off. This doesn't.

Chris b

Post by Chris b » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:59 pm

As an alternative strategy, why not spend the extra money that additives cost, on premium Diesel like Shell V-Power.

It has higher Centane No and makes smaller amounts of particulates, thus leading to fewer regeneration cycles and improved fuel economy for that reason alone (as well as the performance or economy benefit of the Cetane rating)
2018 2.0 HSE Manual. FIrenze Red +Corris roof, black headlining & grey 18" wheels
Gone:
2015 DS 2.0 HSE Manual at 59k miles
2x Freelander 2 XS 09MY &13MY
2003 G4 Disco 2 Tangiers Orange
2x Discovery XS Tdi '97 Co. car then own '98 ex-demo

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:41 pm

Chris b wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:59 pm
As an alternative strategy, why not spend the extra money that additives cost, on premium Diesel like Shell V-Power.

It has higher Centane No and makes smaller amounts of particulates, thus leading to fewer regeneration cycles and improved fuel economy for that reason alone (as well as the performance or economy benefit of the Cetane rating)
With all due respect, the regeneration parameters for this vehicle are preset and based on an algorithm. Nothing whatsoever to do with true soot loading, just an ECU assumption based on miles driven/time engine on*typical speed. Nothing more fancy than that. Usually 120 -170 miles a cycle, depending on those parameters. True (actual) soot loading is largely irrelevant, as the ECU will purge and cause an active regeneration even if the DPF is spotless. Save your money and put it towards a DPF-off full Ash purge every 40k instead....it’s a far better use of financial resource.

41jules1967

Post by 41jules1967 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:13 am

Chris b wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:59 pm

There's 2 different things that seem to be being discussed here.
The "Shell V Power" or "BP Ultimate" etc are very good fuels. But, it's not the diesel itself but the additives. There are 3 or 4 refineries in the UK. Each refinery produces diesel and whether it's destined for Shell V Power or Tesco cheapie, it all comes out of the same tank.
Then the driver goes to another station where the customer's chosen mix of additives are poured in. This is what differentiates the fuels.
So, Tesco's additives aren't remotely as good as what Shell use for their V Power. This is where Millers comes in. That is basically the same stuff. The difference is that the premium Shell charge for it which is far more than what Millers charge for it. So Tesco cheap fuel and a shot of millers and you've got the same stuff, for a lot less money.

41jules1967

Post by 41jules1967 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:23 am

SarahStreet wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:41 pm
With all due respect, the regeneration parameters for this vehicle are preset and based on an algorithm. Nothing whatsoever to do with true soot loading, just an ECU assumption based on miles driven/time engine on*typical speed. Nothing more fancy than that. Usually 120 -170 miles a cycle, depending on those parameters. True (actual) soot loading is largely irrelevant, as the ECU will purge and cause an active regeneration even if the DPF is spotless. Save your money and put it towards a DPF-off full Ash purge every 40k instead....it’s a far better use of financial resource.
There are 2 issues with the regen's as I see it. The first is the well discussed oil dilution. I assume based on the above that the cycle is timed (rather than based on reducing the loading) and if the cycle is interrupted it starts again until it's cumulatively run for the appropriate amount of time? This in a low mileage car could be an issue as you'll get increased dilution as it brings the DPF up to temperature each time.
However, what they claim for this stuff is that it reduces the burn off temps necessary. Hence my thinking is that it will start to clear sooner and the less effective cycles will be more effective.
It perhaps won't reduce the number of cycles or the number of retries (and hence my need for 12 monthly oil changes) but it should ensure I don't end up at the dealer with the big red DPF Full warning.