OBD Bluetooth Adapter

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
47MBC

OBD Bluetooth Adapter

Post by 47MBC » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:57 pm

I remember reading on this forum about a member who has purchased an OBD Bluetooth adapter and was trying to figure out when a DPF regeneration takes place by reading the exhaust temperatures.
I was unable to find that post again, so I'm starting a new topic. Sorry if I'm hijacking someone's topic.

I was always of an opinion that if I would be able to tell when the regeneration occurs so In can continue driving till it's done, than I could live with the car, because otherwise I love it. The only matter was the damn oil dilution/DPF issues and so called "driving style". If I could let the regeneration take place without interruption, then the "driving stile" wouldn't matter anymore.

I went on Amazon and purchased an ODBLink adapter over Bluetooth and sacrificed an old phone to be permanently installed in the car with the associated app. Then I have created two more dashboards, first with DPF regeneration related info and second with AdBlu info, as you'll see below.
First page contains the following SAE PID's (sensors):
1. DPF regeneration trigger (0-100%, starting regen when reaching 100%)
2. DPF regeneration status (0 when Off, 1 when ON)
3. Exhaust temperature close to engine (sensor 1)
4. Exhaust temperature SCRF filter input - I assume (sensor 3)
5. Exhaust temperature SCRF filter output - again an assumption (sensor 4)
6. DPF bank delta pressure, assuming it will increase with a dirty filter. As it turned out it is more responsive to the throttle input than filter dirtiness.

See below a screenshot just before a DPF regeneration was triggered:

Before_regen.jpg

The trigger count was raising steadily to 100% at every drive, at a rate of about 0.2-0.3% per km. As soon as it reached 100% the status changed to 1 and a regeneration was started, I could tell by the exhaust temperatures, see below during the regen process done at about 100 km/h on a stretch of motorway:

During_regen.jpg

The process lasted about 25 minutes and it didn't stop even when I stopped due to traffic once for about 1 minute. During the last minutes of the regen process the trigger count started dropping quickly, when it reached 20% the regen ended, see one more photo at the end:

After_regen.jpg

I have added one more page on the dashboard with info regarding DEF usage, mostly I can see exactly how much DEF I have in the tank, also it gives me information regarding the last interval between regeneration, so I can predict when next one might occur. This way I don't need to run with the app ON all the time.

DPF_page.jpg

I hope you'll find this information useful if you'll want to predict when the engine does it's filter regeneration, I know I want to reduce the aborted ones to a minimum. I really like the car and I want to keep it healthy as long as possible.
Of course the new toy can be useful for other things too, for example it can tell me what error codes I have when the yellow check engine light comes on again, even to reset it if not essential, or I can decide to pay a visit to the dealer if really important.
MY17 180 TD4 AT

aquascape

Re: OBD Bluetooth Adapter

Post by aquascape » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:58 pm

I would like to be able to see this information on my car to also allow a regen to complete. What adapter did you buy and what app did you use?
Discovery Sport HSE Luxury MY16 180 DieselCorris Grey, Black Pack, Side Steps, Paddleshift
Retrofitted Rear Headrest DVD Screens

popsky

Post by popsky » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:44 pm

Hi 47MBC, I posted about active Regen occurring here is a link to my original post

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=10689

No problem from me regards thread hijack as imho all info is valuable, I’m also interested in the app your using, and are you an iOS or Android user. The app I’ve got doesn’t give you a threshold regarding a DPF trigger

I believe you only need exhaust temperature sensor no 3 to see what temp your getting, my normal driving out of town gives between approx 200deg C rising to over 620deg C and lasting around 16 minutes when an active regen is happening, I haven’t been able to get much of a result re the delta pressure.
MY17 2.0 ingenium 180 9 speed HSE Luxury Diesel

Phil

Oberautobahnjäger………… :mrgreen:

Moh

Post by Moh » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:00 pm

Hi, Thank you for the brilliant post. Would it be possible to let me know where can I read more about how to achieve what you have carried out. Any chance of sending us a link to what exactly you purchased. I am in the same situation as you, I love the car but hate this DPF problems.
The amber light came yesterday and I had to leave everything and go on the M180 on a rainy day.
I assume the amber warning light works on Differential pressure so why JLR did not make that permanently visible to the driver and when it reaches say 80%, the driver can trigger a regeneration manually when convenient. It cannot be that difficult to do with the magic things this car does.
Thanks in advance.
Mo

Ian_S

Post by Ian_S » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:08 pm

Am also curious on the app as I've been unable to find one that can extract those PID's the data for which seems to be well hidden thus far.
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

aquascape

Post by aquascape » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:36 pm

I presume the app is OBD link on iOS and runs with ScanTool OBDlink MX+ Bluetooth OBD-II Diagnostic Tool for iPhone/iPad/iOS/Android and Windows?

Can anyone confirm this?
Discovery Sport HSE Luxury MY16 180 DieselCorris Grey, Black Pack, Side Steps, Paddleshift

Brianthemodeller

Post by Brianthemodeller » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:46 pm

I think you should give serious thought to marketing this as a package with the app, sensors etc and a guide how to set it up.

Like you, I love the car but a change in job will mean it will only be used for short runs so this would be invaluable.
MY19 DS HSE 150 Manual in Scotia grey with privacy glass and cirus trim... and she’s gorgeous ;)
Now with Amazon Echo dot, wireless phone charger and LR dog guard

tseug

Post by tseug » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:27 pm

Looks like OBDFusion or Torque Pro (both available for droid or greenfruit). Haven't tried using either of my adapters on the DS but would be interesting to look at the regen status sometime.
MY2018, D240, HSE Dynamic, Indus Silver
ICTP S20C_20.43.1-, 480GB USB SSD
Map -.0115.0153

47MBC

Post by 47MBC » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:34 pm

Screenshot_2019-11-07 Amazon com ScanTool OBDLink LX Bluetooth Professional Grade OBD-II Automotive Scan Tool for Windows a[...].png

Hi gents, indeed the adapter is ScanTool OBDLink LX Bluetooth from Amazon, about 50 USD, it ships from US. it comes with the link to it's own app, also called OBDLink. I am using Android, not sure how it works on iOS.
The app allows for new custom dashboards view, and I have created these two for my needs. When choosing SAE PID's with the adapter linked and engine running, if they are not available for DS they will show in red letters.
You will be able to download and play with the app without an adapter.
Also JLR are using custom error codes, the tool will show them as custom without being explained. I couldn't find online the code explanation either.
Hope this helps.
MY17 180 TD4 AT

aquascape

Post by aquascape » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:36 pm

I believe you need the MX+ (not MX or LX) version of this adapter if an iOS Apple user

47B7A762-014B-4F2D-86BF-F825BC76242F.jpeg