Engine / transmission amber warning light

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Mart666

Engine / transmission amber warning light

Post by Mart666 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:22 pm

During my daily 20 commute to work today, the dreaded amber warning light came on. A quick look in the handbook suggested this was probably because of an emissions related fault, either with the engine or the transmission. By sheer coincidence (and annoyance) the car went out of 3 year warranty 2 days ago! My thought was that this may be something to do with the DPF as my commute rarely allows me to exceed 40 mph, but I have never seen the actual dpf filter symbol light up (the exhaust shaped one) in the message centre, and assume that regeneration has happened automatically when required. The car is now booked in at the dealers in another 9 days time, but I have already been warned by them that there will probably be a diagnostic charge of £175 or so as a minimum. Hopefully JLR will look at this favourably as it is only just out of warranty, but my question to the forum is has anyone else had the amber engine symbol light up, and what was the issue causing it? Thanks.
2017MY 2.0 Ingenium 180 HP HSE AUTO Fuji White Black Contrast Roof Electric Tow Bar Pack Heated s/wheel Privacy Glass Adaptive Xenons Cirrus

47MBC

Re: Engine / transmission amber warning light

Post by 47MBC » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:25 pm

I had this warning light coming up three times in the past two and a half years.
Every time the dealer said that it was caused by an error message "DEF dosage failure".
Every time the car continued to run normally, and I was advised by the dealer to keep going until my appointed day with them. I actually went almost one month the second time it happened.
Apparently every time the error message was caused by a dirty/clogged DEF injector. The AdBlu liquid left on the line tends to crystalize and block the injector. There is a pump I can hear every time I switch the engine off, it is supposed to drain back any liquid left on the line, but not sure how effective is.
But in your case it can be a totally different issue, it seems to be so many of them with this exhaust architecture.
MY17 180 TD4 AT

Mart666

Post by Mart666 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:41 pm

Thanks for your comments - very interesting . As you quite rightly say, it could be any one of a number of causes, so to be on the safe side, I am going to minimise use of the car until the dealer assesses it. I only have 16k on the clock, and wouldnt expect to have these sort of issues on such a premium level car.
2017MY 2.0 Ingenium 180 HP HSE AUTO Fuji White Black Contrast Roof Electric Tow Bar Pack Heated s/wheel Privacy Glass Adaptive Xenons Cirrus

QLDer

Post by QLDer » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:41 am

I’ve had the orange engine light come on a couple of times.

First time it was due to a wiring harness issue. It took a few attempts by the dealer to resolve this with the most recent attempt being via Campaign N323 - Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Injector Wiring Under Tension.

Second time the orange engine light came with a message “Diesel Exhaust Fluid Dosing Malfunction”. This was after vehicle sat unused for a week. I was told that the issue was due to crystalized DEF interfering with the injector nozzle. The almost full DEF tank had also emptied (out via the injector?).

All fixed within warranty period in my case.

Best of luck with getting it sorted.
MY17 - TD4 SE 150 Auto

Mart666

Post by Mart666 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:04 am

QLDer - thanks for your input. Its all a bit of a guessing game really - trouble is the Disco electronics are now in control, and not the driver! Fingers crossed regards the issue I have - its getting too close to Xmas :)

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:04 am

Mart666 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:41 pm
Thanks for your comments - very interesting . As you quite rightly say, it could be any one of a number of causes, so to be on the safe side, I am going to minimise use of the car until the dealer assesses it. I only have 16k on the clock, and wouldnt expect to have these sort of issues on such a premium level car.
Push the LR Assist button and get them out, faster and often better service than a dealer.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

Pauld

Post by Pauld » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:56 am

mine is on at the moment was reset last Friday by landrover assist came back on within 300 miles of use, booked in to dealers for two days next month car has only done 13000 miles, also had this same fault in may dealer cleaned egr filter.this looks like it may be an ongoing problem so I don't think I will be a long term owner of this car I will most likely be going back to a freelander.

green genie

Post by green genie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:28 pm

Stayed away from here for a good while, as it was too depressing (but very valid), and I was having a good run!! Unfortunately that"s now ended.

"Engine "light on a month ago, followed by "No engine starts in x number of miles!! car is 3 years 6 months old, so out of warranty.

sum up;; I was very firm at the dealers , quoted widely from this forum, I stated L.R. know fully of this fault and it should have been sorted for all of us under a full recall. etc etc They fitted a new D. P.F unit at a claimed cost of £1541.42 and nil charge to me as a "goodwill Gesture". Hmmm
I did 7 miles home and then flew off on holiday for 3 weeks, on return did 80 miles and its back with them as the "engine" light is on again.!!

Once again this will definitely not be a "keeper",,, pity the poor later buyers of these vehicles.

Just saw the new Defender on line,,, they must be joking, !
Built # March 2016, 180 HSE AINTREE GREEN / ALMOND.
7 Seats, no spare, removable tow bar factory fit. 19" wheels.
Panoramic roof.
Location Hampshire , England.
Bought @ Hunters , Southampton. :D

Mart666

Post by Mart666 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:40 pm

My intention when I bought the car new was to keep it for up to 10 years, as I am a low mileage driver (16000 on the clock after 3 years). However the more I read of these problems, particularly with the emissions aspects, the more I am thinking maybe its not a wise choice to keep it after all. With the onward progression of hybrid and electric vehicles, it makes you wonder what effect this will have on future values too! The trouble is, I use the DS to tow a decent sized caravan, so choice is really limited.
It would be interesting to hear from anyone on the forum who has passed the 3 year mark with their diesel model, and have not experienced any problems with emissions related issues.

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:02 pm

Mart666 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:40 pm
My intention when I bought the car new was to keep it for up to 10 years, as I am a low mileage driver (16000 on the clock after 3 years). However the more I read of these problems, particularly with the emissions aspects, the more I am thinking maybe its not a wise choice to keep it after all. With the onward progression of hybrid and electric vehicles, it makes you wonder what effect this will have on future values too! The trouble is, I use the DS to tow a decent sized caravan, so choice is really limited.
It would be interesting to hear from anyone on the forum who has passed the 3 year mark with their diesel model, and have not experienced any problems with emissions related issues.
I got to 2 years and 10 months with my D180 without an issue, before trading it in for a P240. I think it had 26K on the clock when it went as I do quite a low mileage.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”