Discovery Sport Forum banner

Engine Bay Strut Brace

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Chris b 
#1 ·
There is a black box section bar that runs left to right along the top of the engine bay. Its just above the adblue filler cap etc and just below the black plastic trim and the window wipers.

Pretty sure its called a strut brace? Can it be removed for painting?

It looks like someone splashed adblue or brake or clutch fluid over it at some point and the black paint is starting to flake off.

Wouldn't mind taking it off and painting it but would prefer to know if the engine wont drop out if I do remove it!! :D

#3 ·
Looks straight forward enough provided you don't drive the car while its off. When you come to put it back and the holes don't line up you will know that the body had flexed in which case you would be better to jack up the car in a way that takes the weight off the wheels. ( I am half joking here as I think its highly unlikely!) If the holes in the bar are slotted mark the position of the bolt heads before you loosen them and this will give you some extra reassurance. Usual caveats of course because I have no specific knowledge of this design.

#4 ·
Yes easy to take off, just undo bolts both ends, but you'll have to take the air intake off on the right hand side to get to that end. I had to take mine off to get the battery out. Don't worry it's not structural and you car body won't flex without it lol, I suspect it's only there to give a bit of extra support to the bonnet as that's made of aluminium, and to counteract the force of the pedestrian airbag going off so the bonnet doesn't deform downwards.

#5 ·
Very easy to remove and replace. You have to do so when removing the battery!
Agree best not to drive without it in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.