Post by Hauser » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:57 pm

Thanks for you replies.
That means going to my dealer again. OMG. :shock: :o :? :(
Discovery 5 (MY 2017): HSE Luxury, TDV6, Fuji White w. black roof
Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof

kuruvi

Re: Engine replacing Balance Shaft

Post by kuruvi » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:29 pm

I have got my car back but am not sure what they have ACTUALLY done with it. I was told they replaced the balancer shaft, however am very sceptical about this. Yes the noise is less; may be due to new oil. Still there is a noise, may be from Turbo ?.

Reasoning from InControl Remote App tells, they only spent about 6 hours. Can this work be done in 6 hours.

How long it took for other members for the actual work.

Thanks

Hauser

Post by Hauser » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:44 pm

No they can not do it within 6 hours. The engine needs to go out for this.

I have a friend that does nothing else but balancer shaft replacements on J/LR vehicles by now. He has done over 40 cars and now he can do a single car in two days. So if he, with all the practice he has had, needs two days, there is no way you dealer did it in 6 hours.

Greets,
Hauser
Discovery 5 (MY 2017): HSE Luxury, TDV6, Fuji White w. black roof
Discovery Sport (MY 2016): HSE, TD4, Firenze Red w. black roof

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:52 pm

kuruvi wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:29 pm
I have got my car back but am not sure what they have ACTUALLY done with it. I was told they replaced the balancer shaft, however am very sceptical about this. Yes the noise is less; may be due to new oil. Still there is a noise, may be from Turbo ?.

Reasoning from InControl Remote App tells, they only spent about 6 hours. Can this work be done in 6 hours.

How long it took for other members for the actual work.

Thanks
Curious how the app gave 6 hours as the time taken , it just shows journeys unless you monitored the bonnet open etc?

I’d ask them for a detailed service copy of work done, including codes , it’s your car your entitled to it.

No way can it be done in 6 hours.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

kuruvi

Post by kuruvi » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:17 pm

They have had the car for 4 days. However, they didn't do much for first 2 days. I was checking the status every 1 hr :D on the Remote App.
Around 10am on Day 3, bonnet/boot open and soon got theft alert tigger, couldn't connect to the car for rest of the day.
Day 4, around 9:15am test drive. Another one about 12pm for 60 miles drive.

Assuming, they close about 5-6 pm on evening, it only had about 6 to 8 hours for the work.

Looked under the bonnet. There is no signs on nuts/bolts been removed. The car is 3 years old so you would notice if it has been refitted or not due to discoloration/scale. Most importantly, the noise stays the same. New oil noticed, even that is overfilled.

The only nuts/bolt refitting noticed was in Coolant pump area. Engine mount nut and other parts looks untouched.

I got paper work saying Balancer Shaft has been replaced. However they wouldn't give detailed work sheet to me due to data protection act.

I am going to call them tomorrow and possibily speak to the JLR as they are charging them huge amount for possibly not much work.

Mikey123

Post by Mikey123 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:05 pm

Bought a new DS in may this year, popped into my dealer yesterday for AdBlue and was told the balance shaft needs replacing or maybe a new engine. Whats the consensus view on what I can & can't insist ie. new engine or new car or just balance haft replacement ?
Any thoughts gratefully received.
Also, whats the legal position with Land Rover selling vehicles with a known common fault.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:58 pm

Mikey123 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:05 pm
Bought a new DS in may this year, popped into my dealer yesterday for AdBlue and was told the balance shaft needs replacing or maybe a new engine. Whats the consensus view on what I can & can't insist ie. new engine or new car or just balance haft replacement ?
Also, whats the legal position with Land Rover selling vehicles with a known common fault.
Bought in May - you have to give them one chance at repair, if this repair fails you can reject the car without giving them another attempt to fix.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

DroitwichGas

Post by DroitwichGas » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:17 pm

Mikey123 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:05 pm
Out of interest how many miles have you covered since you got the car in May, as it's a bit worrying if the shafts are starting to fail after 6,000 or less miles, assuming you bought the car new?

Mikey123

Post by Mikey123 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:28 am

Hi
The car was bought new & now has 8000 miles on it.

Enufisenuf

Post by Enufisenuf » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:31 pm

My Disco Sport story is a horror show - first car from new broke down twice in three weeks. I got a replacement as I refused to accept it just being “worked on” The second car had catastrophic engine failure after 15K on the motorway - really scary - pistons hit valves etc etc. They eventually put a new engine in. This lasted 10K until balance shaft noise again which I was told would cause failure again by a trusted mechanic. JLR know all about this problem - I have proof - and it affects all Ingenium engines in the LR range - I don’t know about Jags. Enough is Enough - I have swallowed the depreciation loss and traded it in with another manufacturer. A sorry story for a once proud British brand.

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”