EGR Cooler failure (again)

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Past master

Re: EGR Cooler failure (again)

Post by Past master » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:59 pm

Thanks. That's a very useful explanation. I'm not sure if that's the problem on mine as I don't have the fault code - all I have from LR Assist is "low flow through egr". If it's a filter blocking up I can't see why it would spontaneously clear itself after a couple of days.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:22 pm

I might be wrong but whilst your engine is cold the EGR valve remains closed, it only uses the exhaust gas when engine is warm. So when you start the car after it’s cooled it would remain closed thus the flow sensor is not in operation till the engine heats up .
The same valve closes during a regeneration, so if the valve isn’t closing properly that might explain the EGR becoming blocked , so it could be a n EGR valve issue.

Does it appear to come on when you accelerate hard or go uphill or is it just coming on when coasting / light engine load .

There was another post I read where the EGR was changed only for the same fault to come back as the underlying root cause had not been found .
It will be worth asking them if they only change the EGR , what caused the fault in the first place . There is also a train if thought that changing the EGR every 30k is good practice.

The reference to clean air being fed back is a bit of a misnomer as it’s gas that’s “cleaner” than that which entered the SCRF it’s certainly not clean as in breathable air. Pointing the finger st the SCRF does seem a logical step if it is not performing as it should as return air will be less clean and clog. The other thing that can cause low flow of course is an air leak in the system, that also would affect SCRF performance.

Anyway it will be interesting to see what they diagnose , let’s hope they diagnose and not just change bits without investigation.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

S marty

Post by S marty » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:48 pm

scrf should clean it to eu6 levels of soot, obviously you dont want to be breathing that directly, but Im more comparing to the olden days of egr valves getting full doses of sooty exhaust fumes,
Rubbing your finger in the tail pipe of a eu6 shows very slight soot, try that on a eu4 or earlier. you can black your face and go on a commando raid

Q86ARR's blocked filter explanation makes a lot of sense.

Past master

Post by Past master » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:32 pm

I don't think the egr valve is failing to close - that would have a noticeable effect on engine running. The warning light comes on completely at random - once was after a hard kickdown on the motorway, but that was not the case the other three times. It goes out when the car is stopped - twice after car stationary for a couple of days, but the latest time I literally stopped for about a minute, and the light had gone when I restarted. I will get as much info as I can, assuming they can fix it, and report back.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

Q86ARR

Post by Q86ARR » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:33 pm

Past master wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:59 pm
Thanks. That's a very useful explanation. I'm not sure if that's the problem on mine as I don't have the fault code - all I have from LR Assist is "low flow through egr". If it's a filter blocking up I can't see why it would spontaneously clear itself after a couple of days.
The description of DTC P049B-00 is “EGR ‘B’ Flow Insufficient Detected”

This generally leads to low pressure EGR cooler and SCRF/DPF replacement, after an intake leak system test has been carried out to ensure no leaks are present!

NoDiscoSport

Post by NoDiscoSport » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:39 am

Q86ARR wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:33 pm
Past master wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:59 pm
The description of DTC P049B-00 is “EGR ‘B’ Flow Insufficient Detected”

This generally leads to low pressure EGR cooler and SCRF/DPF replacement, after an intake leak system test has been carried out to ensure no leaks are present!
Not forgetting of course the replacement of the low pressure EGR valve. JLR Letter dated 24th October 2017...

Capture.PNG

...leading to rejection for "not of satisfactory quality" and "not as described" under the CPA 2015.
17MY DS150PS 6 speed manual. Gone. Not of satisfactory quality. Not as described.

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”