Sluggish Auto Gearbox

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Chippy

Re: Sluggish Auto Gearbox

Post by Chippy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:32 pm

Canuk wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:52 pm

tried to get the old brain cells in gear to remember but I think it was in 1965 when I borrowed the Buick from my cousin. Great car to take to a drive - inn movie. :oops:

Oh after a few kilometers driving after the trans reset?? I can see no difference so my first drive after the reset was probably wishful thinking.
Interesting comments on the transmission reset Canuk. On the other topic I tend to call them “older” brain cells but I suppose that I’m only kidding myself. ;)
Gone: 2 x DS TD4. Rejected B pillar ticking.
Evoque TD4. Increasing problems.
Arrived: MB GLC 250d.

Les

Post by Les » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:47 am

Have also tried the reset, although didn’t really have major probs with the gearbox as it was. Bit like Canuk not sure if it is in my mind, but it does seem much better when pulling away from a near stop. Will check a bit more this week to see if it’s all in the mind or not, but it is probably worth trying particularly for folks with older DSs like mine.
2015 HSE Lux, Auto, 5+2, Kaikoura Stone/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony Windsor 10 way seats, 20 inch 511 Wheels, Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Privacy Glass, InControlTM, Service Pack, Williams ceramic coating

nan423

Post by nan423 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:03 pm

Hello.

I am so annoyed by my car. It has been more than 2 months that the car suddenly turned from very responsive to sluggish and is not giving me any signs/lights/error code. I know that there is a problem, however, no one believes me and I'm going crazy!!!!! Why isn't my car detecting the problem?

1. Gears are not changing properly. They are slipping and the car feels to be in the wrong gear sometimes (for example 6th gear at 20km/h)
2. The car is unresponsive at times especially when stopping and using the brakes because of the gear not going down (it stays at a high gear) and it is dangerous.
3. The acceleration response is not good. It is true there is a turbo lag, but this lag is excessive and stays for 3-4 seconds.
4. Many times, while driving on a highway it feels like the car is skipping a gear and when the gas pedal is pressed. It doesn’t move but the RPM goes up and the speed does not go up with it.
5. The car seems to be hesitating with a change of gear and is jerky.
6. When the air filter was changed, the car was very responsive and back to normal for 3 days: quick acceleration, right shifting at the right time, and the issue seemed to be solved, however, after that it started to be sluggish again.
7. The issue is especially felt during traffic because when accelerating after downshifting (because of no response when lightly pressing the pedal) there is a risk of crashing into the car in front and a need for rough braking.
8. When the issue is present, the engine seems to be hyperventilating and releases heat when turned off. (And it does not show on the dashboard that the temperature is high). However, when the issue is not present, the car doesn’t hyperventilate nor heat up.
9. A change in the transmission maybe? Or a sensor? But should the car detect that?
10. Maybe the issue is something that is not read by the scanner (like the air filter for example).
11. The car is not detecting the issue and the check engine light is not on and no error code has been transmitted.
12. When the car is driven manually (with the shift paddles) it feels very normal, same as when the issue was not present.
13. The issue appeared once 8 weeks ago and then disappeared. 2 weeks later, it reappeared and stayed until now.
14. The following picture shown in the car’s eco mood shows how the fuel efficiency and driving style has changed when the issue was present compared to the best trip when the issue was not present.
15. On Sunday, when I switched to from Drive to Reverse and vice versa the gear made a weird noise, as if something was stuck inside.
16. On hills, it takes a lot of effort to accelerate, while when using the paddle shifts, it becomes responsive again.
17. The car seems to be stuck and become especially when I stop the car even if not too abruptly.

I'm begging you,
Please help me find a solution! :(

P.S: I also tried resetting the transmission: hold the gas pedal for 30 secs when the ignition is on... but to no avail. It would be great for the first 3 minutes then back to being sluggish.

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:12 pm

How old is the car?

If it’s still under warranty then I’d go back to the dealer with it. As far as I can see when reading your long post this is not something that you have done.
Gone: 2 x DS TD4. Rejected B pillar ticking.
Evoque TD4. Increasing problems.
Arrived: MB GLC 250d.

nan423

Post by nan423 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:29 pm

I took it more than 10 times to the dealer and they kept at laughing to my face :(

It gives me no error codes ! :(

Today, as I was driving it would not go up a hill when I downshifted.

It is only good in manual.

The car is 2 and a half years old.

I tried everything. Literally. The scanner shows nothing and they do not want to check it manually.

They told me to wait and wait again until the problem becomes clear! But how longer will I wait? It’s already been 2 months and the mileage increased by 3000km and nothing showed up :(

If anyone has been in the same situation, please I need your help!

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:30 pm

It would be helpful to know where a outs in the world that you actually are, as well as the vehicle variant and engine - that way we can work out if your factory warranty is different to the UK's 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Assuming that yours is the same, I would call Land Rover Assist, and let them take over the problem, recovering it to a dealer and providing you with a courtesy vehicle until such time as yours is repaired.

Please update your signature with regards to my first paragraph above.
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

nan423

Post by nan423 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:51 pm

My car’s engine is a petrol 2.0 240HP Si4. It’s the older Ford engine.

The problem is that I am in Lebanon, and the mother company is Land Rover MENA in Dubai. I contacted them as well and tried to escalate the case, however, they could not help me with my car. The retailer would not even give me a spare car. They are the official retailer in the country.

My car is under a 5 year warranty deal.

When they tell me your car is adapting, it does not make sense! I have been driving it for more than 2 years and it never became sluggish. I also maintained a constant driving style over the last 2 years! The question is why would it try to adapt this way after all this long?

Thank you,
Nadim

screech

Post by screech » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:31 pm

Just an update: at 45kkm my gearbox has been replaced by jlr. The new one is marginally better and smoother, but there still is a jerk between gears, still the same lag on tekeoff and still a gap between R and D.

I have no idea what exactly led them to this decision, but apparently the dealer couldn't make the necessary adaptations and their computer was not able to sync the gearbox properly.

I had the selenoid valve cover replaced at 5kkm, so this was the second repair to the gearbox.
MY17 HSE Ingenium 180 auto

Bigglez

Post by Bigglez » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:04 am

Dear nan423
I have exactly the same problem. It is horrible and scarely - you see a gap in the traffic and go for it and POOF you have no acceleration as the engine goes into sleep mode, thinks a bit, transfers its thoughts to the transmission and JERK you get going again but in the mean time you have sweated a lot thinking you were about to die with a car ramming your drivers door.
Mine is a Disco Sport 9 speed auto with 240cv engine. bought may 2018 and already been taken into the local Landrover dealer in Perth Scotland 3 times with no results.
Horrible
Please somebody come back with a positivie solution or a Landrover Dealer that will accept that this car has a fault and exchange it for a model that does not.
I drove the F-Pace with the V6 300cv engins and auto transmission and it went like a dream, no hesitations at all.
I had a Discover TDV6 auto last week and that had a much better response time.
This car scares my wife and I think I am sure it is trying to kill me sometimes.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:35 pm

Bigglez wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:04 am
Dear nan423
I have exactly the same problem. It is horrible and scarely - you see a gap in the traffic and go for it and POOF you have no acceleration as the engine goes into sleep mode, thinks a bit, transfers its thoughts to the transmission and JERK you get going again but in the mean time you have sweated a lot thinking you were about to die with a car ramming your drivers door.
Mine is a Disco Sport 9 speed auto with 240cv engine. bought may 2018 and already been taken into the local Landrover dealer in Perth Scotland 3 times with no results.
Horrible
Please somebody come back with a positivie solution or a Landrover Dealer that will accept that this car has a fault and exchange it for a model that does not.
I drove the F-Pace with the V6 300cv engins and auto transmission and it went like a dream, no hesitations at all.
I had a Discover TDV6 auto last week and that had a much better response time.
This car scares my wife and I think I am sure it is trying to kill me sometimes.
The gear box is a “ learning” gear box so if your changing from driving yourself to your wife’s driving that can upset its learning process.
The FPace and Discovery have a completely different gearbox , they use an inline ZF8 which is very good .
The transverse engine vehicles use a ZF9 , the above posts in this thread show that it can have problems, with some owners complaining.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”