Discovery Sport Forum banner

Is topping up AdBlue part of a standard service?

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  The Highlander 
#1 ·
As the heading really.

My wife's DS was serviced by a main dealer a couple of thousand miles ago and is now saying the AdBlue is about to run out.

I'd have thought topping this up would be part of a standard service (not on a service plan) - or am I wrong?!

Thanks

#3 ·
#4 ·
They appear (according to the printed form) to use the l.R. diagnostic tool to "check the level of the AdBlue" but not to fill it unless you also have
the service plan presumably. Because it doesn"t say so. Although they claim to fill the screenwash , top up brake and clutch (If manual g/box) etc and no doubt add that on under consumables. Past experience elsewhere leads me to regard these lists as a "tick the box exercise" and not worth
the paper they (used) to be written on.

#5 ·
Thanks.

LR HO / the dealer picked up the bill as something of an apology after my wife called the dealer when the service warning came on at about 10,000 miles and they advised her to ignore it - apparently 'official Land Rover policy' at the time!!!

I only found out when I happened to drive it a few months later and asked how long the service warning had been there for. An oil dilution issue and so the car did circa 6,000+ miles with sub-standard oil. Not very happy.

To find they've now seemingly saved a couple of £ by skimping on AdBlue is even more frustrating! What else did they skip to mitigate their costs?!

#6 ·
Dashnine said:
Yes, it should be - as shown in this post on the Service Interval thread: https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5379&start=1970#p81755. Then charge you £29.95 for the pleasure, as you're not on the service plan.

That's a LR document they are following, I guess it depends if your dealer uses that, or makes up/uses their own version.
If you look at the document in question (from my car) you'll see that it's a printout from TOPIx and contains some items specific to my car (the N020 service action). My car has a service plan, but it's possible that other cars may have a different sheet. Certainly the service action part will vary. The dealer will interrogate TOPIx and carry out whatever is in the printout.
Incidentally the dealer charged Land Rover £82.89 for carrying out N020 - I assume that counts as a warranty item.

#7 ·
The Highlander said:
I am on a service plan, but I am surprised they didn't top up and then charge you an excessive amount for it.
In another thread, The Highlander claimed that AdBlue was now free for all Land Rovers. Is this not the case?

But, yes, C@lculator I am only seeing approx 4000 - 5000 miles between AdBlue fill-ups. I'm on a service plan and it still sucks.

Steve

#8 ·
It is free at the main dealer I use without a service plan and I reported what they said. Others have said its not the case at their dealer, which surprised me. Might just be a local thing. I certainly didn't phone round other dealers to check on the charge or no charge for their Ad Blue.

However, as part of a service, my comment meant that I was surprised they didn't fill it up and charge you if you didn't have a service plan. They seem to do it with screen wash needed or not. :roll:

Thanks for pointing it out and letting me explain. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.