Sluggish Auto Gearbox

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Canuk

Re: Sluggish Auto Gearbox

Post by Canuk » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:35 pm

Not sure what the problem is ?????

A sluggish Auto Gearbox or poor performance from the engine.

peejayk

Post by peejayk » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:19 pm

I've been dipping into various pages of this topic, must go through the whole thing as it's interesting reading.

I've noticed my gearbox being somewhat erratic of late, but I put it down to confusing it myself... I decided recently to do a super-eco-drive-like-a-granny tank-full to see what max mileage I could get out of a tank for my own typical usage so drove full-on granny mode permanently in Eco and VERY rarely exceeded about 1800rpm.

I did the same in my old 1.6 Mondeo estate & got an extra 150 miles out of the tank compared to my normal driving average, but in the DS the difference was negligible!

However I've noticed since that the gearbox gets confused rather easily to the point where I was wondering if I could get its learning "reset" (and found reference to "adaptation" hereabouts) so I think I shall be asking for such a reset when I book it in for an annoying buzzing plus an AdBlue refill anytime now...
MY17 SE Tech Auto 180, Corris Grey, Heavy duty tow-bar, Rear Camera, Xenon Pack

simon

Post by simon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:57 pm

It's certainly not the best gearbox / engine combo. Rarely in the right gear coming out of corners or entering and island after breaking. The change downs are too slow. This when pulling out of a sharp bend or round and island it'll finally change down and lurch off.

Same when piling away from near standstill. Lurches down a cog.

My D3/4 were far better mapped.

The DS always seems to want to stay in the highest gear it can unless you manually make it change by pushing the go peddle. Then it lurches.

This from a box with 9 gears and a lot of ratio spread so I'd have assumed it to be very smooth. If you pull away from stand still and just keep going it changes up very smoothly.

Seems it's brain can't cope with working out that when you break you want the box to move down cogs to be in the appropriate gear when accelerating again 🙄
17MY HSE Lux Corris Grey with Black Design Pack - Dec 2016

16MY HSE Lux Fuji White with Black Design Pack - Bought June 2016 - Rejected & replaced Dec 2016

Supplied by the very excellent Shukers of Ludlow

Lofi

Post by Lofi » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:59 pm

yup, its a great gearbox let down by poor programming
Lofi
Collected 29/4/15 - DS HSE Auto, Fuji, Cirrus, 902 Style wheels, Style Pack 1 (black roof), Roof Rails (black), Memory Seats, 5 x USB, Heated Steering Wheel, Rubber Mats, Skinny Spare Wheel, Roof Bars, Service Pack.

Harwoods Edenbridge

simon

Post by simon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:06 pm

Lofi wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:59 pm
yup, its a great gearbox let down by poor programming
I think it's intentional to keep emissions down and tobyry and achieve the stated MPG.

Sport mode seems to be far cleverer but it revs too high for smooth around town driving for me. On the open roads ma Sport makes use of engine breaking and down changes in corners far better. But then I guess it should as it's designed to change down earlier and hold the higher revs for longer.

16MY HSE Lux Fuji White with Black Design Pack - Bought June 2016 - Rejected & replaced Dec 2016

Lofi

Post by Lofi » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:31 pm

My only real problem is it changes into the right gear as you squeeze the throttle exiting a corner rather than being in the right gear before you squeeze it. Does the same at junctions unfortunately, can be driven round Imo.
Lofi
Collected 29/4/15 - DS HSE Auto, Fuji, Cirrus, 902 Style wheels, Style Pack 1 (black roof), Roof Rails (black), Memory Seats, 5 x USB, Heated Steering Wheel, Rubber Mats, Skinny Spare Wheel, Roof Bars, Service Pack.

Harwoods Edenbridge

Woolmeister

Post by Woolmeister » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:43 pm

I posted about this a while back and it seems it takes input from the steering angle sensor to prevent gear changes/acceleration out of bends and roundabouts. It's most annoying.

You can give it some welly out of a bend or roundabout and all that happens is the revs increase but speed and power to road wheels does not. Eventually, as you straighten up the wheel (if you're lucky), the torque converter (or whatever this awful gearbox has) locks up and delivers the power in a fairly uncontrolled fashion.
17MY HSE Auto 180 in Carpathian Grey with Ebony Leather, Privacy Glass, Roof Rails, and Row 2 USB.
Stereophonic B Pillar Ticking (No Cost Option) and a horrendous auto box.
DISCO3.CO.UK Contributor of 10 Years - Trying a DS for a while
MINI Cooper D Convertible

simon

Post by simon » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:14 pm

Yup. It's stupid. Not pleasant at all.

Yasmar

Post by Yasmar » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:48 pm

I drove a 17 plate Ewok loan car today that was a joy to drive compared to the setup on my DS auto gearbox. :cry: Shame the boot is so small....
MY16.5 DS HSE 2.0 Litre Diesel Automatic Scotia Grey with privacy glass and mudflaps.
Complete with B Pillar rattle courtesy of JLR :roll:

simon

Post by simon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:18 pm

Yup. Default D is not a pleasant experience. Flick to S and feel what the engine and gearbox can do to brighten your day 👍🏻

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”