EGR fault

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
VeryDiscoSport

EGR Fault - P049B-00 EGR "B"

Post by VeryDiscoSport » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:34 am

Well what do you know! The same fault that triggered my rejection....

Capture.PNG

Anyway, good article on this common fault discovered yesterday at Autologic UK. Might come in useful to someone.

AUTOLOGIC -
Technical Article 2L Diesel Ingenium Engine with Low Pressure and an Exhaust Valve Cooler blockage

EGR Blocked Autologic.gif

2019 RAV4 Mk 5 2.5 Petrol-HEV Excel :D
2017 RAV4 Mk 4 2.5 Petrol-HEV Excel :D
2017 DS L-550 2.0 SE Tech 150 6 SPD (Rejected per CRA 2015) :(
2008 RAV4 Mk 3 2.2D XTR 4WD :)
FSU - Protect Free Speech

SarahStreet

Re: EGR fault

Post by SarahStreet » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:19 am

You see, whilst very credible, this overlooks one major flaw. If you had the cleanest soot-free DPF in the world, the Ash is still blocking the whole system up. Ash cannot be burnt off, it can only be removed artificially. And after 50k miles, it is quite significant - see attached
clip.

https://www.dpfcentre.com/land-rover-di ... -cleaning/

Ash is ultimately what kills DPF’s, soot is just a contributing factor. You cannot burn the ash....it needs removing chemically and/or hydraulically for a DPF to survive. 80k is the best case estimate for the life of a DPF, no matter now much snake oil etc that you chuck in your tank hoping to help the burn cycle.

pcheaven

Post by pcheaven » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:16 am

As above. You can’t beat a good DPF flush.
Though some folks do recommend an occasional clean as routine maintenance.

Never had to myself, as LR just fitted a new DPF to my daily van. It’s unlikely I will ever need to.

Worth researching if you plan to keep your car for a few years.
Silver 2020 D240 R Dynamic HSE - Brilliant car with the terrible ( IMHO ) premium LED lights

All with great headlights:

3 Other Discovery Sports
I Pace First Edition
Velar R Dynamic HSE
Discovery 5 HSE Lux

41jules1967

Post by 41jules1967 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:33 am

Not sure where the 80k comes from. My Jag is at 102k and not a peep from the DPF. In fact, I’m very surprised given I’ve not done any long runs in ages that there’s still been no regen warnings. Ok it’s a Euro5 not 6 but the difference is primarily Adblue . DPFs are little different. There are tens of thousands of cars with stellar mileages, factory DPFs and no issues.
As with all things, if it does eventually clog, per the link, you pop it down to a DPF service shop, give them £200 (hardly a wallet buster for anyone who can afford the premium to buy even a used a Landrover) they clean it out and you’re back to the state it was in at 10k.
Hence, I see a lot of these things as scare mongering.

I filled the DS up last night. I put some Liqui Moly DPF additive in, can’t be sure it really makes a difference but from what I’ve read it reduces the burn off temp and given that’s a concern on the DS, figured it was worth a shot. It’s the same cost as a gallon of diesel so at a recommended every 2,000 miles it’s not really an issue. The rest of the time I put Millers in there to keep the injectors and EGR system clean, but super fuels do the same thing.

Also noticed they’d been installing adblue pumps now, so no more buying bottles it seems.
2019 Discovery Sport 180 HSE Lux 7 seat & spare wheel - (DIY Fitted Towbar, Mudflaps, Wireless charging pad, Side Steps )
2012 Jaguar XF-S Premium Luxury
Previous - Mercedes (Various C & E Classes), 2 x Freelander2's

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:18 pm

41jules1967 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:33 am
Not sure where the 80k comes from. My Jag is at 102k and not a peep from the DPF. In fact, I’m very surprised given I’ve not done any long runs in ages that there’s still been no regen warnings. Ok it’s a Euro5 not 6 but the difference is primarily Adblue . DPFs are little different. There are tens of thousands of cars with stellar mileages, factory DPFs and no issues.
As with all things, if it does eventually clog, per the link, you pop it down to a DPF service shop, give them £200 (hardly a wallet buster for anyone who can afford the premium to buy even a used a Landrover) they clean it out and you’re back to the state it was in at 10k.
Hence, I see a lot of these things as scare mongering.
80,000 miles is the mean average before a typical DPF becomes full of ash and subsequently blocked.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answ ... -of-a-dpf-

We are not talking about soot, ash is the issue. You cannot burn ash off, as explained in my previous post.

With regards your liqui-moly additive, it’s entirely subjective whether it lowers the soot burn-off temperature or not. Wynns/Millers/Redex all offer similar products, all kerosene based which *may* help, equally they *may* not. It’s your vehicle, and your choice at the end of the day.

The biggest act of vehicle mis-selling in the last 20 years has been that the public, the dealer sales people, and most others that don’t understand the engineering process correctly, were never told that a DPF has a finite life. More so with a Euro 6 SCRF system, which is far more complex, with more parts that will inevitably fail. It’s a key reason that JLR (and others) specifically exclude it from their warranties, however many motorway miles that you drive.

Deleted User 2136

Post by Deleted User 2136 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:41 pm

So the answer is simple......buy a Mercedes (or anything other than JLR), preferably petrol/hybrid and don’t keep it beyond 3 years........
My plan from now on!

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:51 pm

As backward as it might sound, going back a gear and buying a Euro 5 or even a Euro 4 diesel is probably the best bet if you have to run a Diesel. They are far less complicated, and whilst you will be persona non grata in a lot of places, and pay the punitive VED rates, you will potentially save a fortune in garage repair bills.

There are pros and cons to everything in life. The various EU and Treasury diktats have been determined to eliminate diesel for the last five years. The problem is, that like anything that unelected ignorant politicians meddle with, they don’t think the long-term strategy through properly.

Banning diesel is not the solution, however they are making both the manufacturers and public pay a heavy price for their folly.

MarkRivers

Post by MarkRivers » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:02 pm

My 16 plate Disco Sport has been into Pentland Landrover in Perth for an amber EML and another replacement EGR filter.
Mileage is low and the only suggestion is that i'm not driving far enough or fast enough with no clue what far/fast might mean.
nov-19 40,000 miles big repair as various parts wouldn't dismantle. JLR footed 80% of the bill
Jul-20 44,000 miles 'regen'
Aug-20 700 miles later - replacement filter
Dec-20 48,000 regen
April 21 49,000 replacement

Now we have a Kia eNiro on the drive the disco probably gets less use even after end of lockdown.
Love the Disco but detest the uncertainty, hassle and cost.
Love the kia!

is driving habit going to help or is it, as it appears on this forum, an inherent engineering problem? So ditch the dico...
thanks

sandbox

Post by sandbox » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:40 pm

As you only drove 9000 in 17 months then a diesel is not the engine for you. Enjoy your electric car.
2016 D180 Auto