Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) broken and needs replacement

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
41jules1967

Re: Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) broken and needs replacement

Post by 41jules1967 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:24 pm

Sounds crazy that you'd need to replace it because it's 'clicking'. Surely a metal strap or other method could be used to re-attach it?

If not, the second thing that sounds crazy is the price.
Firstly - are you seriously going to spend £1000 on a new one when there are plenty of perfectly good used ones (inc with the newer welding I imagine) on the market for £300-£400. Even if you paid another £200 to have it cleaned, tested and made like new, you'd still be well ahead.

Then there's the labour. What do they have to do to get to it? Unless there's a load of dismantling I'm not aware of, there's around 6 bolts to undo, all fairly accessible, release 2 or 3 rubber hangers and then pop the new one on and bolt it up. If it took a properly equipped garage 2 hours I'd be staggered. Pretty confident I could do it on my drive in less than a day. At a dealer labour rate that's over a full day's work.
Based on that alone, I'd want a second opinion.

Ok, not a car I grant you but a rip-off never the less. My niece called an alarm engineer to fix her burglar alarm this week. He declared it beyond help and quoted £800 for a full replacement.
I went round, checked it over, tested the whole system and all the wiring and concluded the bell box is dead, the control box seems to have a programming glitch which may be fixable if I could figure out how, but in any case, the keypad was worn out so best replace it.
I've spent £80 on a new bell box and a state of the art new control box and will be fitting them in the next few days. Sorted. He could have done that, charged them £250 and been well in.

This after a £3,000 quote from an electrician to fix a problem I had to point out to him (Live and Neutral were the wrong way around) - apparently not something a modern sparky would check for! - which I then diagnosed and fixed myself for nothing in less than 10 minutes - some muppet had wired the fusebox back to front.
Point is:
It seems finding an honest, let alone competent tradesman these days is next to impossible. Trust no one.!
2019 Discovery Sport 180 HSE Lux 7 seat & spare wheel - (DIY Fitted Towbar, Mudflaps, Wireless charging pad, Side Steps )
2012 Jaguar XF-S Premium Luxury
Previous - Mercedes (Various C & E Classes), 2 x Freelander2's

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:45 pm

A DPF exchange is 0.7 units on the claims submission system. Worst case scenario it will take 0.9 in reality.

I am no longer in a position to post TopIx bulletins on here, as a (former) member abused my trust and caused me a lot of problems internally. Use the search function and it will provide you with what you are looking for, as it has been posted on this forum before.

Suffice to say, every market is different and I don't know whether or not France offer the same level of protection as the UK Market in terms of Consumer Rights Act. The best advice that I can offer would be to try and open dialogue with CEC and see if that gets you anywhere. Most probably, they will push you back to LR France, but worth a shot in any event.

Shellywelly

Post by Shellywelly » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:56 pm

Hi everyone.... new to discovery sport and this forum 😃. Partner bought a 16 plate discovery sport back in November. Took car to Stratstone JL for a service. First time I drove the car following this, increased vibration noise in drive with foot on brake and in neutral (although a bit less) with foot on brake.
Took back to land rover today, they tell us the heat shield is rattling against the dpf unit, which is cracked. They say they can see soot around the crack. Apparently looking at somewhere in the region of £1500 to get it replaced 🤦‍♀️. No engine management lights (not yet anyways!). Car drives a dream otherwise and only has 40K on the clock!
Any suggestions gratefully accepted please as out of warranty x

mjj160

Post by mjj160 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:14 am

Took my 2016 DS for a service and was told the DPF welds had failed, and would need replacing, It was rattling quite a bit. I pointed out to them that if the welds had failed it must be a manufacturing defect and as such should be replaced as part of the warranty. I have extended warranty for the car with LR, but this was turned down and it even states in the policy that DPF not covered. So was facing a large bill. Using the manufacturing defect to prompt them, I asked my local LR dealer (Stratstone Newcastle) to ask LR if they would contribute to the cost as a gesture. Well they came back and said they would absorb 100% of the cost, so was booked in and in going in this Monday morning 27/7/2020 to have fitted, Also having the MOT done at the same time. So hope no nasty surprises when I pick her up.
Mike

41jules1967

Post by 41jules1967 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:26 am

Shellywelly wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:56 pm
Hi everyone.... new to discovery sport and this forum 😃. Partner bought a 16 plate discovery sport back in November. Took car to Stratstone JL for a service. First time I drove the car following this, increased vibration noise in drive with foot on brake and in neutral (although a bit less) with foot on brake.
Took back to land rover today, they tell us the heat shield is rattling against the dpf unit, which is cracked. They say they can see soot around the crack. Apparently looking at somewhere in the region of £1500 to get it replaced 🤦‍♀️. No engine management lights (not yet anyways!). Car drives a dream otherwise and only has 40K on the clock!
Any suggestions gratefully accepted please as out of warranty x

I assume the car wasn't bought from Stratstone or it would still be under the used warranty?
I'd ask Stratstone to put a claim into JLR for a goodwill contribution to the repair. It should not have failed on a 4 year old car. Then go from there.
2019 Discovery Sport 180 HSE Lux 7 seat & spare wheel - (DIY Fitted Towbar, Mudflaps, Wireless charging pad, Side Steps )
2012 Jaguar XF-S Premium Luxury
Previous - Mercedes (Various C & E Classes), 2 x Freelander2's