SSM73697

Forum for Land Rover Technical Documents & Bulletins
Chippy

Re: SSM73697

Post by Chippy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:52 am

Thanks for the clarification Mike which puts things into perspective. It’ll be interesting to see how many members experience this problem in future. Thanks again.
Gone: 2 x DS TD4. Rejected B pillar ticking.
Evoque TD4. Increasing problems.
Arrived: MB GLC 250d.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:05 am

They have a quality issue ( in that specific DPFs with FB in the number) are not operating correctly with the control software.

It's a defective componant.

Some people will notice it through the lights , others will be blissfully unaware.

JLR won't change the defective components on those that don't notice it.

There ..,, that sums it up too :-)
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:11 am

Interesting point in their bulletin examples .....

Examples that may lead to it
" manual transmission" ???

Anyone any thoughts why a manual transmission is more suceptable than an auto ?
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone

weemark

Post by weemark » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:38 am

Yeah I wondered that as well Barnsh - if I was driving a manual I suspect I'd be revving it higher than the auto (which seems intent on hanging onto the highest possible gear at all cost). Unless they're saying the higher revs generate more guff which coke the "DPF" (sic!) quicker? An odd one

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:55 am

Barnsh wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:11 am

I'd assumed it was because you can change up earlier in the manual at lower revs, whereas the auto hangs on a little later generally. Agree that the auto will stay in the higher gear longer, but I imagine with the torque of the engine plus manual you can whip up through the gears while keeping the revs low (and the exhaust cool).
MY19 P240 HSE (on order), Indus, Black Pack, Privacy, Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
MY16 HSE Black, Santorini, Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Detachable Towbar, 2 x USB in 2nd row, Delete Badging.

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:57 am

That sounds very plausible Dashnine.

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:00 am

Barnsh wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:05 am

It doesn’t make it right but that is completely standard practice in the automotive business.
And for that matter in other areas of business as well.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:06 am

Dashnine wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:55 am
Barnsh wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:11 am

I'd assumed it was because you can change up earlier in the manual at lower revs, whereas the auto hangs on a little later generally. Agree that the auto will stay in the higher gear longer, but I imagine with the torque of the engine plus manual you can whip up through the gears while keeping the revs low (and the exhaust cool).
I pondered that , I guess JLR will put that down to driving style , :lol: :x :lol:
It just seemed such a bizarre inclusion in their list .....what about paddle shifters :shock:
One crazy half hearted doc with no substance.
MY17 HSE 180 gone

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:25 am

Chippy wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:00 am
Barnsh wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:05 am

It doesn’t make it right but that is completely standard practice in the automotive business.
And for that matter in other areas of business as well.
Yep,
But the point some may miss , is the software control of the SCRF is limited to reading pressure across it to detect full soot loading ( also % of soot amount is gained) from these two sensors either side of the box. We know that 36% full of soot is the trigger for active regeneration, we know over 80% full of soot is a dealer regeneration .

So everyone with this substandard, poor quality , faulty ( which ever one you want to call it ) box IS affected to some degree when doing short runs as part if their "mixed driving " style. Just because we don't see the light does not mean we are unaffected to some degree.

This FB marked box is being replaced with another box which will fix the issue for some not all , and that has to be cost .

Whilst I'm still helping some one reject over faulty DPF, they never saw the light as per this document Although the code was registered.( happened last July ....yes long drawn out fight)
Further engineering input from JLR about this vehicle , when pushed into a corner , they then diagnosed the light was only available to be seen for 2.1 seconds , JLR immediately changed tack and agreed to pay for the DPF replacement as good will. They stated "they could not expect a driver to be able to see this light due to its short duration of illumination'. This precedes this document by 6 months . But this document is now submitted as part of their case.

People that are unaware of this SMM are very much at the hands if the dealer network . Will they be charged £1500 and told it's their driving style or will the dealer find this document?
MY17 HSE 180 gone

weemark

Post by weemark » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:32 am

Bottom line I think is that we're all speculating here because none of us actually know - and that's simply down to JLR's continued reluctance to be completely open and to obfuscate. If ever there was a lesson in how to hack off a swathe of people who effectively contribute to paying their wages..... Quite simply so many of us are now so hacked off with this charade I wonder whether (m)any of us will believe anything JLR now say and consider investing with them again?

Return to “Technical Documents & Bulletins”