Forum for Land Rover Technical Documents & Bulletins
Mamil

Re: SSM73697

Post by Mamil » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:36 am

Barnsh wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:26 am
Mamil wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:18 am
After the oil dilution saga, Adblu consumption, failing balancing shafts, and now this, I am so glad I got one of the last 2.2 engines with the Euro 5 emissions system and no Adblu. Sure, it may sound like a tractor but at least most of the issues were ironed out during it's time in the Freelander. Sorry if that sounds a bit smug but it's not meant to be, just an expression of relief on my part.
I think that's why there is still strong demand for older diesels , people don't need hassle and faults they just need to get in and drive. The odd niggle is fine but JLR have some major QC issues.
Agree, and particularly people who like to maintain their own cars (of which there's quite a few around here) will seek out the older diesels which are much less complex and so have less to go wrong, and when they do go wrong you don't need a degree in computer science (or a main dealer) to fix them!
SE TD4, MY 2016.5, 110kw/150bhp 2.2 PSA Engine, Fuji White/Ebony, Oz towbar, xenon pack. Delivered 25th June 2016, Perth Western Australia.

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:30 am

Quality control or rather the lack thereof was always the biggest problem within the JLR organisation and all the former companies.

When BMW were involved they desperately tried to implement functioning systems but failed primarily due to cultural differences.

It was exactly the same during the “marriage” between Daimler and Chrysler. I well remember the comments of people at Rover and Chrysler. Think of the infamous Faulty Towers episode. :D
Gone: 2 x DS TD4. Rejected B pillar ticking.
Evoque TD4. Increasing problems.
Arrived: MB GLC 250d.

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:34 am

Mamil wrote:
After the oil dilution saga, Adblu consumption, failing balancing shafts, and now this, I am so glad I got one of the last 2.2 engines with the Euro 5 emissions system and no Adblu. Sure, it may sound like a tractor but at least most of the issues were ironed out during it's time in the Freelander. Sorry if that sounds a bit smug but it's not meant to be, just an expression of relief on my part.
You’ve got every reason to be “smug” Mamil. In comparison to other older design Diesel engines I found the 2.2 version in LR vehicles to be relatively refined. And you’ve zero hassle. ;)

Mamil

Post by Mamil » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:56 am

Chippy wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:34 am
Mamil wrote:
You’ve got every reason to be “smug” Mamil. In comparison to other older design Diesel engines I found the 2.2 version in LR vehicles to be relatively refined. And you’ve zero hassle. ;)
Yes Chippy, I may have been lucky in my choice of engine (and yes it was a choice, as I bought right on the changeover from the Ford/PSE engine to the Ingenium and chose to go with 'tried and tested' rather than 'new and improved') but I've still had my share of LR ownership 'experiences' as the archives of this forum will attest to, including the usual squeaks and rattles (including the infamous B pillar), loose trim, leaky tailgate, incompetent dealer, etc. etc.

However, it's just a car, and the important thing is it enables me to do the things I enjoy so I'm willing to put up with it's foibles :D Whether I'll keep it after the warranty runs out at the end of five years is another matter...
SE TD4, MY 2016.5, 110kw/150bhp 2.2 PSA Engine, Fuji White/Ebony, Oz towbar, xenon pack. Delivered 25th June 2016, Perth Western Australia.

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:02 am

Mamil wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:56 am

Yes Chippy, I may have been lucky in my choice of engine (and yes it was a choice, as I bought right on the changeover from the Ford/PSE engine to the Ingenium and chose to go with 'tried and tested' rather than 'new and improved') but I've still had my share of LR ownership 'experiences' as the archives of this forum will attest to, including the usual squeaks and rattles (including the infamous B pillar), loose trim, leaky tailgate, incompetent dealer, etc. etc.

However, it's just a car, and the important thing is it enables me to do the things I enjoy so I'm willing to put up with it's foibles :D Whether I'll keep it after the warranty runs out at the end of five years is another matter...
Apologies Mamil my zero hassle comment was related to the engine. I like your use of the word foibles I suppose that sums up LR ownership.

PaulCP

Post by PaulCP » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:15 am

Barnsh wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:27 pm
Weeks !
They've had blooming months .

Their QC system should be able to pick up all FB boxes in a couple of computer clicks . They must have batch control of components ?
I haven't worked in manufacturing since the late 90's, although it wasn't the motor industry, but back then it was a given in quality assurance programmes that manufacturers have complete traceability of components used in assembly back to batches and suppliers.

One would have thought that motor manufacturers do this as a matter of course :roll:
Now: Lexus RX 450h F Sport + Premier Pack
GONE Jan 2018:- HSE Lux Firenze Red (MY17), Ivory Interior, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Headlights, Surround Cameras,

Previous: Range Rover Sport HSE Black Edn, Ipanema Sand

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:44 am

PaulCP wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:15 am

I haven't worked in manufacturing since the late 90's, although it wasn't the motor industry, but back then it was a given in quality assurance programmes that manufacturers have complete traceability of components used in assembly back to batches and suppliers.

One would have thought that motor manufacturers do this as a matter of course :roll:
Paul, I worked in manufacturing primarily for suppliers to the automotive including JLR and their predecessors and it was absolutely vital to have a complete tracabilty of components. With safety relevant items (air bags, braking components etc.) the documentation was extremely detailed. Woe betide anyone who couldn't show their tracability records during an audit.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:33 am

Chippy wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:44 am
PaulCP wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:15 am

Paul, I worked in manufacturing primarily for suppliers to the automotive including JLR and their predecessors and it was absolutely vital to have a complete tracabilty of components. With safety relevant items (air bags, braking components etc.) the documentation was extremely detailed. Woe betide anyone who couldn't show their tracability records during an audit.
Is it possible 100% are faulty, they don't want to release those numbers publicly or show that amount of possible outflow of cash on their books? :shock:
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

back of beyond

Post by back of beyond » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:45 am

Of course they now what parts went where. Do you think they are going to post a list of names and addresses on this forum.
Mar17 lux diesel.

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:49 am

If they have a functioning QC system then they know exactly which parts went into which vehicle. If they have a functioning QC system there is no way that 100% faulty parts can be fitted.

Summary - they don't have a functioning QC system.

Return to “Technical Documents & Bulletins”