Rear foglight

Forum for Land Rover Technical Documents & Bulletins
EYR

Re: Rear foglight

Post by EYR » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:17 am

Slarty wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:56 pm
Hi guys,
I can,t see any PM wheels 81, wherever it's gone thank you.
Car was in local dealers today for a small safety recall thing ( Harwoods in Lewes, East Sussex )
They agreed that I should have been told how akward it was to fit by Beadles in Sidcup when we bought the part.
Technician tried to figure out an easier way to fit rather than removing bumper but couldn't.
Quoted 1.5 hrs to fit, £ 150.00 plus the cost of part already purchased total comes to about £225.
My days of groveling around in the dirt are done.
So hey ho.
Seems to be the going rate Slarty.
Although mine was a warranty job due to water in the loom via the fog light, the cost (minus the loom) and details are roughly in the same ball park.

Scan.jpg

Santorini black DS 180 MY16 Auto, Xenons, Electric deployable towball, Rear camera and new non rattly tailgate struts.

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:06 am

There is an LTB for this warranty repair, as it is a known fault. Labour times are shown in the attached..

https://bit.ly/2sVl836

wheels81

Post by wheels81 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:47 pm

Sadly @DavidR, you have been mislead.

However - just to add some context.
What you and I might call the 'bumper' dealers have a different name for, (bumper cover or valance i think)

In dealer terms the 'bumper' is the metal structural comonent which provide crash (bump) protection underneath the plastic bit which we all refer to with the term.

Now, in order to remove the "metal bumper" it is indeed necessary to drop the exhaust out of the hangers (which are part of the bumper)
I can confirm that this is a PITA job, 4 hours would seem a bit of a strech however.

In oder to change/replace your fogs it is absolutly NOT necessary to remove the "bumper", only the "bumper cover". To do so the general process would be:

remove both upper light clusters - 1 bolt each,
remove lower bumper cover (which covers your spare wheel/tow eye depending on config) - upto 4 screws
remove bumper cover - 4 bolts underneath, 2 bolts each side.
Carefully peel bumper away from car and disconnect wiring for fogs/sensors.
replace fogs (must confess, no idea how many fixing for this)

reverse process.

I'm not a mechanic but I have done all of the above work fitting my towbar -
I could easily do all of this, change the lights and refit in 30-40 minutes.

What i bet has happened is this:
The mechanic who worked on your car says: "i finished davids car, can you bill him for the fogs, and the book time to remove and refit the bumper"
The mechanic gives the service manager too much credit, and assumes that the service manager "knows" he means the bumper cover, not the metal bumper, however the service manager is a moron.

Instead of charging you the book time to replace the bumper cover (which is what it should have been) you have been charged the book time to remove the metal bumper - which includes the cover, and the exhaust.

I would call them up - tell them that they made an honest mistake, and whoever compiled the invoice selected the wrong work item.
Give them the chance to rectify it, and realise that the idiot who spoke to you before did not understand the job - ask to speak to the tech who did the work, ask him if he actually had to remove the metal bumper.
MY17 SE-Tech 180 Manual 7 Seats + Spare. TSR, Reverse Cam, Privacy Glass, Santorini Black roof.

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:07 pm

TOPIx quote 1.3 units to remove bumper cover and replace foglamp, then put back together again. They quote 1.7 units if the harness to PDC sensors requires replacing, agin this includes removal and refitting of bumper cover.

You state that your vehicle is a 19MY in your thread. My advice would be to print out the bulletin and go and ask them why they are even charging for warranty work in the first place. If they are trying to steal the shirt off your back, ask them to do it at least within TOPIx timescales.