"Low Battery, Please Start Engine" message....

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
RegG

"Low Battery, Please Start Engine" message....

Post by RegG » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:58 am

When my 2017 Sport HSE has been standing for two or three days without use, I can open the drivers door, or the powered tailgate, then a message flashes up on the display telling me the battery is low and to start the engine. This message is accompanied by a bleep. If I have opened the tailgate it will not close automatically when I press the button - until I start the engine.

The car is going into the dealers for it to be looked into but I wondered if anyone else had experienced this problem.
2017 HSE 2.0 TD4 Auto, Firenze Red, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Roof Rails
Previous Land Rovers:
2012 D4 HSE, Ipanema Sand
2010 Freelander 2 HSE TD4, Biscay Blue
2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6, Stornoway Grey
1991 Discovery 200 TDi, blue

lodgic

Re: "Low Battery, Please Start Engine" message....

Post by lodgic » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:51 am

i Had issue a while back it’s a software issue as the car is not shutting down properly
MY16 2.0 Ingenium 150 HSE Loire Blue, Almond Leather, arrived 22nd Dec

Gone Freelander TD4 XS
Gone various Audi A4 /A6 Avants

Stamford (UK!)

RegG

Post by RegG » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:02 pm

lodgic wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:51 am
i Had issue a while back it’s a software issue as the car is not shutting down properly
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if it could be software...... when I booked it in the receptionist said a software update may be required. They are also going to look at the offside rear window which is being temperamental - sometimes the 'one touch' close works, other times it doesn't! Apart from these two problems the car seems to be going well but I do miss my D4 which was stolen in the middle of the night just about a year ago never to be seen again :(
Previous Land Rovers:

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:39 pm

RegG wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:02 pm
lodgic wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:51 am
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if it could be software...... when I booked it in the receptionist said a software update may be required. They are also going to look at the offside rear window which is being temperamental - sometimes the 'one touch' close works, other times it doesn't! Apart from these two problems the car seems to be going well but I do miss my D4 which was stolen in the middle of the night just about a year ago never to be seen again :(
Yep get the latest software updates is always a good start.
Sorry to hear about the D4 .....make sure if you have keyless you get a good quality faraday pouch for your keys , don’t forget the spare needs one too!
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

RegG

Post by RegG » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:46 pm

[/quote]
Sorry to hear about the D4 .....make sure if you have keyless you get a good quality faraday pouch for your keys , don’t forget the spare needs one too!
[/quote]

Thanks - both sets of keys in faraday pouches and a stop-lock on the steering wheel! Plus tracker at the insistence of the insurance company!
Previous Land Rovers:

JohnSheff

Post by JohnSheff » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:36 pm

Hello,

I have had that problem for over a year. The car has been in to the dealers a few times and the issue has never been resolved.

I have had software updates and various parts of the electrics replaced including the battery, header unit and parts of the alarm. Its always worse when the weather is cold but I will say that the car has never failed to start even when the car has not been used for 4-5 days.

The Start/Stop rarely works so I know there is something going on but as the car has never broken down and always starts I just accept its part of the cars personality.

JW
Disco Sport SE Tech - MY17

iconix

Post by iconix » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:16 pm

I've just had the same issue.
The battery was fine and fully charged.
LR Assist came round and he cleaned the contacts around the back of the battery. He said that if they get rusty or clogged with dirt, the sensor can read that the battery is not charging. Since then I've had no problems, fingers crossed.

bjm

Post by bjm » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:23 am

I had the issue for a while. They replaced the battery then told me the new battery had gone flat overnight while still at the dealers. They did several software updates and claimed it was drawing 2 or more amps while shut down. They kept it for several days testing it, they never did give a satisfactory (to me) answer as to what caused it. They tried very hard to blame it on faulty workshop test equipment saying the tester was causing the battery drain...
2017 DS HSE Luxury TD4-180 - Waitomo Grey, privacy glass, reverse traffic detection, HUD, ebony headliner, tow pack, brake controller and tint.

Click here to see what it's like to own this superb piece of British engineering

Return to “Faults & Technical”