Discovery Sport Forum banner

Emergency braking system

126K views 350 replies 63 participants last post by  Discoloz 
#1 ·
All,

Has anyone ever heard or seen an "Audiovisual alert" ?

The advert says we should get them..

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Cheers

DiscoD

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The diagram says in only brakes for you if you don't react to the audio/visual warning. So you can have the warning without the auto-braking.

#5 ·
So I'm not the only one asking if or how this device works.
All I can sai is I was on a Mercedes today , as a passenger. The driver approached a stationary car from behind , he was distracted and accelerating instead of braking. The car sounded and warned him.
Never heard a sound from my Disco

#6 ·
Rogerone said:
So I'm not the only one asking if or how this device works.
All I can sai is I was on a Mercedes today , as a passenger. The driver approached a stationary car from behind , he was distracted and accelerating instead of braking. The car sounded and warned him.
Never heard a sound from my Disco
Sounds like that's 'cos you were in your pal's Merc?!
Hoping there is no 'Emergency Breaking System' that smashes the car up, but hoping that the specified Emergency Braking System does its job when required to prevent emergency breaks!! Can't think of a way of testing it without risking breakage though!

#7 ·
It's natural instinct to brake, you need to do nothing and be very close to the vehicle that has stopped before anything will happen, bare in mind it will only bring you to a halt at low speeds, other speeds it will reduce the impact.

It your kids have a bouncy castle drag it out into the street and try it :lol:

#10 ·
Only thing I was worried about... pedestrian airbag ?!? If you do hit something (soft) will it deploy the airbag and if so.. how much does that cost to put back :(

#16 ·
philn said:
Well the large cardboard box test took place and sorry to report but box died. Not sure if this proves anything or not but certainly confirmed that camera didn't detect cardboard.
How big/tall was the box? It looks like it uses stereovision cameras behind the rear view mirror to measure distance of objects. I wonder if the object needs to be large enough. It doesn't seem that the front radars are used for this, since according to the manual, they are only on when that parking button is pushed.

#17 ·
That's certainly concerning Philn. I would suggest checking your settings to ensure forward alert etc is switched on but from what I know, autonomous emergency braking should work regardless of settings. Maybe mention to your dealer.

#19 ·
AEB is ON in settings. box measured about 1.8 metres wide by about 1.4 metres high which I would have thought was big enough. The only problem with systems like this is you don't find out they don't work until they don't.

#20 ·
Just a thought, but does the AEB even recognize a stationary obstacle or does it only react on moving targets?
I can only speak of my Passat so far, but its radar only recognizes obstacles moving in the same direction with distance quickly closing.

Please excuse my poor English, my German is slightly better ;-)

#21 ·
Not sure geonic but one of the things it is supposed to avoid is running into the back of someone at a roundabout and that normally happens when they are stopped and you are moving.

Your English is perfect, welcome to the forum.

#22 ·
Hello everyone,

I have registered today, because i have the same problem. I come from germany, so please excuse my unperfect language. I got my DS last week and to now had no function of the AEB.

I have read the manual and i have understood, that the function of the AEB is linked to the "Forward alert". The icon of the "Forward alert" in my DS is not shown, but the system says, that the "Forwar alert" and the "AEB" are activated. So I believe, I have no "Forward alert" and therefor no AEB. Today I will drive to a retailer to discuss this problem. But i think, it is probably a general problem of the DS.

Has anyone the symbol of the "Forwar alert" shown in the digital tachometer while driving? My DS will prompt the green icon only when the ignition ist turned on.

#25 ·
Just asked my dealership to get the criteria used by LR to test this.
My gut feeling is this isn't turned on as they have possibly had issues with it. Sounds a little like the dynamic mode that can't be purchased in any territory that I have found. Dejott did you get Dynamic mode (dampers) in Germany ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.