Power Steering Failure

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
Sue

Re: Power Steering Failure

Post by Sue » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:15 pm

Same thing has happened to me today! Got in discovery sport this morning 2016 model just over 33,000 miles. Started up and put in reverse horrible noise and steering wheel started shaken and can't steer now.
Going to LR garage tomorrow but they can't look at it till next week, it ran out of warranty just under two months ago 😫 sounds like the steering bolts have sheared off as it's the same as other post on here!!!

Trojan

Post by Trojan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:48 pm

This is a latent fault that was present when these cars were purchased. You can prove this was the case by quoting the statements made further up the tread or the text of the recall in Canada for the same issue:

Capture.PNG

Because the fault was provably present at manufacture, you are entitled for SIX YEARS to reject the vehicle or to have it repaired free of charge, i.e. this right extends to at least 01/01/2021 for ALL vehicles except the handful (83 from memory) that were handed over before the end of 2014.

By law (s.9 Consumer Rights Act 2015 which deals with "goods not of satisfactory quality") JLR has to accept your rejection or provide you with a free repair. Don't let them convince you otherwise: if they start arguing the toss about warranty, goodwill or some kind of "special" discretion politely convey to the person concerned that they are talking out of their backside.

Please report the failure to the DVSA and let us know how you get on with the dealer.
Going - 2017 HSE 180 Corris Grey
Coming - BMW X5 45e

Sue

Post by Sue » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:06 pm

Thanks you so much for this Trojan, I'll wait to see what LR come back with, but this will be very useful if I have to foot the bill. I will also report to DVSA if it is the steering bolts sheared! 😫 Not sure when I'll get my car back!! 🙈 And they haven't a courtesy car for me!

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:32 pm

It would be useful if the next person to report this to DVSA as per link further back in this thread also let DVSA know that it was a recall in Canada for safety reasons as per Trojans post and ask them why the U.K. DVSA are not considering it safety issue too, are they just being gullible to JLRs offerings.

JLR consider it safety in one country and not in another stinks of cost limitation to me!
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Trojan

Post by Trojan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:56 pm

Barnsh wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:32 pm
It would be useful if the next person to report this to DVSA as per link further back in this thread also let DVSA know that it was a recall in Canada for safety reasons as per Trojans post and ask them why the U.K. DVSA are not considering it safety issue too, are they just being gullible to JLRs offerings.

JLR consider it safety in one country and not in another stinks of cost limitation to me!
It definitely does. It also smacks of a kid gloves approach to regulation from the various parts of the DfT. I can't help thinking that because JLR is so politically important (jobs, exports, UK image projection...) it receives special treatment when it comes to regulation. There are lots of other examples of a light-touch approach like the cases where DfT hasn't insisted on recalls for obviously defective products which have been identified as such in other jurisdictions. The best example at present is the Lion V6 main journal shells which, if not properly secured, will at some point randomly walk around the housing and cut off the HP oil supply. Recalled all over the world except? - yup you've guessed it: good old UK. If this goes wrong just out of warranty its a stupendously expensive item to put right but will our regulator ask them to carry out the requisite inspections? Nope.

Here's how they justified their position to Watchdog:

Q. Why do you recall some cars in certain territories for an issue, but not in other territories?

Regulations and market regulators vary from country to country. We adhere to differing legislation in a 128 countries around the world where we sell our vehicles. In this instance, we have no evidence to suggest that this is a safety risk.

As we always do whenever we issue a recall in another country but not UK, we voluntarily inform the UK authorities. We comply fully with the regulations, the General Product Safety Regulations and associated industry codes of practice.

Q. Does Jaguar Land Rover have any plans to issue a more comprehensive recall of affected models in the UK?

Jaguar Land Rover has no evidence to suggest that a recall is required in the UK. As with any customer enquiry Jaguar Land Rover will appraise each one individually.

Q. Whether Land Rover should investigate the issue of crank shaft failure in vehicles in the UK, and consider whether any further recall should be actioned here.

This analysis has been completed and no evidence exists to suggest that this is an issue which requires a recall. As with any customer enquiry Jaguar Land Rover will appraise each one individually. Jaguar Land Rover welcomes customer contact and to this end, should any customer have a concern they are encouraged to contact Jaguar Land Rover's Consumer Experience Team on 0370 500 0500.

For this arrogant crap alone I shall never spend another penny on this company's over-priced products.

The bottom line, though, is that they would do it IF THEY WERE ORDERED TO. And that imho is the real problem.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4CqQbjCQTw4xhnZnHNsNz11/vehicle-recalls
Going - 2017 HSE 180 Corris Grey
Coming - BMW X5 45e

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:40 pm

Totally agree and the issue was discussed by myself and DVSA over the B puller issue which is in effect a structural problem if your car ends up on the roof.
The chap and I had a long email and telephone conversation where he admitted that in the UK they are toothless, they cannot force a recall they can only request .
It’s up to manufacturers to decide what is and isn’t a safety issue. He stated they had strict criteria , but it is open to manufacturers to “miss classify” an issue to reduce the rating it would attract.

It’s high time DVSA took an item like the Canada safety issue for steering and asked JLR why there is a difference , I heard it was down to the type of salt on the road.....Canada uses a brine mix and UK didn’t ...Well that’s absolute rubbish The UK does use brine salt mix .

If your in an area where this is used you are more likely to have steering failure. 😳

As an aside is it not racist too 😂😂😂
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:50 pm

Oh and JLR are incorrect we use Brine wet spreading in the UK
Since it was trialled back in 2015/2016

https://www.plasticon.co.uk/topics/highways-england-choose-plasticon-uk-brine-saturators
MY17 HSE 180 gone

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:03 pm

Trials of brine / wet salt spreading
http://www.ukroadsliaisongroup.org/en/UKRLG-and-boards/uk-roads-board/winter-service--brine-vs-prewetted-salt-trials.cfm
MY17 HSE 180 gone

AHW2013

Post by AHW2013 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:34 am

AHW2013 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:54 pm
65 reg Disco Sport. Drove 200+miles on Friday and all was fine. Came to go out on Saturday morning and the steering started whining horrendously, steering wheel shaking and juddering, and difficult to turn, before we had even pulled off the curb. Have got a video of this happening if it's of interest, but unable to add it on here. Stopped where we were and had to get it recovered back over the weekend. Land Rover have looked at it today and confirm that 'the steering rack mounting has sheared off'. Is this the same as the bolts breaking, as keeps being referred to on this thread? And any other tips for reducing the potential cost? It hasn't got an extended warranty as this ran out 3 months ago, and we haven't got round to renewing :cry:
Update on this. Bill has come through for new steering rack and associated parts. £2300++, (can't remember exact £+p). Needless to say it has been escalated to Land Rover by the dealer, to discuss reduction in the price.

Rediscovery

Post by Rediscovery » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:34 am

This is not the way to go for several reasons and your best course of action is to take this up with CRC directly. The dealer doesn't understand your rights under CRA section 9 and even if they did they don't want you to exercise them because 4.5 hours of warranty work is cross-charged at a lower hourly rate than the money they want to syphon out of your wallet. Also, if you have to pay for any part of it, the steering rack sale (£1,800 + VAT) goes through their till and they'll rake off a few hundred pounds there as well.

If you want an analogy, what you are doing is the equivalent of sending Jeremy Corbyn off to negotiate Brexit on our behalf. It won't be the best deal because he doesn't believe in it.

Your rights as explained above are immutable. The parts are faulty because the galvanic reaction between Al and Fe in steel (even stainless steel grades) is "guaranteed to occur" where there is the "slightest trace of chloride" in the environment, according to Annodizing World. Every mechanical engineering apprentice learns about galvanic processes in year one. JLR has shown its incompetence yet again and anything that you are asked to contribute will be a payment that helps to finance it.
17MY SE Tech White