Power Steering Failure

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
DiscoSportDave

Re: Power Steering Failure

Post by DiscoSportDave » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:26 am

A full replacement free of charge is the bare minimum JLR should be doing.

Is there a service bulletin to check cars in for service, replacement bolts / motor of the correct specifications ?

Is there a recall in Europe ?

JLR don't want the publicity of a TV programme / trading standards investigation, yet are quite happy to put people's lives at risk. What are they waiting for, a couple of fatal motorway crashes ?
MY19 Landmark - Narvik Black, Traffic Sign Recognition, Reduced Spare Wheel, Alloy Pedals

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:29 am

Having been on the forum for a while and have seen all these power steering bolt failures pass through, most (and I accept some have been at higher speeds) have been at low speed while manoeuvring. I expect JLR have made an analysis and have persuaded whoever they have to persuade (that a recall is not required) that the failure mode is prevalent at low speed and that no threat to life is at risk.

But it's still a risk and I wouldn't fancy signing off on the FMEA. The other scenario is the Ford Pinto exploding fuel tank scandal, where re-designing the car was more expensive than paying up for the accidents, I bet all the conspiracy theorists on here will love that thought....

I'll go and get my tin hat and body armour....
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:17 pm

Fix on Fail remains the policy at this moment in time.

Irrespective of the known fault, it does not form part of the service. Depending on your relationship with your retailer, you could ask them to visually inspect it whilst up on the ramp, but it will be visual only, and a verbal response - nothing on the service report. It needs to fail before JLR will entertain a warranty claims submission.

Discodales

Post by Discodales » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:42 pm

As I understand, investigating the bolts for signs of corrosion entails a high risk of shearing them, thereby necessitating a complete steering rack replacement. Not surprising that they don't want to risk it!
Disco Sport HSE 180 2016

Gooner247

Post by Gooner247 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:20 am

Hi Guys

My DS is a 2016 model (124,000 miles) and now out of warranty. I'm a competent DIY mechanic so would it be possible to replace these bolts before they fail? If you have carried out the replacement could you list the type of bolts used and the process followed to replace the bolts.

Thanks.

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:03 am

Gooner247 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:20 am
Hi Guys

My DS is a 2016 model (124,000 miles) and now out of warranty. I'm a competent DIY mechanic so would it be possible to replace these bolts before they fail? If you have carried out the replacement could you list the type of bolts used and the process followed to replace the bolts.

Thanks.
I think someone over one one of the Facebook groups has replaced the bolts, which seemed fairly straightforward.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

HmmmUK

Post by HmmmUK » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:33 pm

Gooner247 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:20 am
Hi Guys

Thanks.
There's a risk of them shearing though!
If you read LR's blub (Canadian recall I think) they mention in the fix notes, changing to coated bolts but if they shear to fit a new rack...
Long time Land Rover owner thinking about a new one! ...Bought a MY15 Evoque 2.2L in Nov 17.
80", 90", Range Rover Classic, Freelander, Discovery

Goranduka

Post by Goranduka » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:21 pm

I am the one who changed bolts, and have it posted on Facebook group.

woolz

Post by woolz » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:06 pm

Is this something LR will or could check during a service if we ask?

TFOCH

Post by TFOCH » Mon May 25, 2020 12:04 pm

Registered here just to add my thanks for the info. Got back from holiday and the steering went when I tried to move the car. The local dealer then went into lockdown for four weeks, but took care of everything for me with JLR.