Power Steering Failure

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
kissinger

Re: Power Steering Failure

Post by kissinger » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:02 am

DIsco_scot wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:41 pm
Hi folks,
New forum member as a result of power steering failure - flabbergasted to read so many have had similar experience with sudden failure of power steering after approx. 3years . Loud grinding noises, inability to steer and no option but to slam on brakes in front of oncoming traffic. Thankfully no collision (was very close) at the time of failure, but like many on here I fear it is a matter of time before something more serious occurs.

Verbal feedback is the bolt corrosion and failure. Waiting to hear back from dealership on repair method and cost (it's out with warranty) and future guarantee of suitability.

Once I get more details on failure mode I will complete DVSA form and report via BBC Watchdog / AA / RAC / Honest John / National press etc. I would encourage all others to do the same.

Couple of questions:
Has anyone investigated what the UK Health and Safety Executive stance would be? Vehicle Certification Authority?
Also keen to hear responses from anyone who has had to resort to legal action to get resolution on cost recovery or future guarantee of suitability?
Anyone on a PCP deal handed the car back as a result?

Thanks,
Disco_scot
Disco_scot
Had the same failure 2 days ago. Local garage has diagnosed it today. Contacting Landrover Newbridge twrw (Fri 21st) but would appreciate if you could advise asap how you got on with getting them to pay the full cost incl labour. 07967 21 30 33

Rediscovery

Steering Failure - Pictures

Post by Rediscovery » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:00 am

Credit for these 3 photos goes to Evoque owner "ionguja" - they show grapically the mess that's left behind when the power steering motor retention screws fail due to corrosion. As previously noted, in addition to being made of the wrong material, these are the wrong fasteners for the job. This new evidence should be seen by DVLA.

His original post is the one after this: https://www.evoqueownersclub.co.uk/threads/steering-rack.12099/page-2#post-270449
17MY SE Tech White

wrightp

Post by wrightp » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:47 am

Hi new to forum. My 65 plate DS is out of warranty and has just had the dreaded sheared off PAS motor. It sheared off when low speed manoeuvring - thankfully. It made a horrible juddering grinding noise - probably as the motor lost alignment with the PAS belt. I removed the engine sump cover and lo and behold one corroded bolt rolled out. As it should be secured by 3 bolts the other three must have corroded and disappeared earlier.
The quality of the bolt is very light alloy. Not fit for purpose. I pulled the motor fully clear and cable tied it to the sub-frame.
I found many posts on this forum which provided super details on DVSA complaints , Canada re-calls etc. THANK YOU EVERONE.
Armed with all this I approached my dealer on the South side of Glasgow.
I was reminded it was out of warranty.
I was advised that there may be a charge to investigate the fault.
I discussion I was advised further that Land Rover "may make a goodwill contribution" and that the bill was likely to be between £2500 and £3000.
I kept calm and prepared for a fight.
Two days later I received a call that Land Rover would replaced the steering rack completely free of charge.
Although I feel they should be issuing a national re-call I am impressed at the no-quibble approach from Land Rover and this goes some way to me feeling better about the product.
I shared this to encourage those of you outside warranty not to despair.

Boltby

Post by Boltby » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:17 pm

Hi,
Popped over from the evoque forum. My MY16.5 evoque SE Tech steering packed in this morning, reversing of the drive, then set off straightening up the wheels for a split second - then no steering.

Car owned from new, serviced by dealership, MOT done 12 days ago, warrenty expired, 51000 miles, had 5 oil changes.

Those pictures are shocking, why have such inadequate bolts securing a vital component?

DennyDisco

Post by DennyDisco » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:38 pm

This exact issue has just happened to my wife's 2015 Disco Sport. We bought it second hand from Arnold Clark just over 6 months ago. Prior owner had serviced it via the local LR dealer. The Arnold Clark we bought it from is a Merc dealer. Its currently sitting on our driveway and I'm not sure whether I should take it back to where we bought it from or go to the local LR dealer for the best potential outcome for our wallet. Any ideas?

Discodales

Post by Discodales » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:16 pm

I would take it to the Dealer where it has been serviced - they will be familiar with the problem and should offer you 80% of the repair costs with a 3 year guarrantee. Accept this offer but let them know you will contact JLR Customer Experience Centre at

Customer Experience Centre
Abbey Road, Whitley
Coventry
CV3 4LF
Phone: 0370 5000 500.
Email: lradvice@jaguarlandrover.com

They should offer to pay 100% of the repair cost (mention the Canadian recall and this forum). This will not come with a guarantee (or any paperwork at all in my case), but a correctly designed steering rack should last much longer than 3 years so that's not really an issue.

The replacement parts come from China, so I hope there's no delay due to Coronavirus.
Disco Sport HSE 180 2016

Boltby

Post by Boltby » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:45 pm

Hi Denny Disco,

Great advice there, please read this https://www.evoqueownersclub.co.uk/thre ... nty.16245/ and follow to the letter.

Remember to ask for a case number, then get the car to Land Rover.

Cheers,

Boltby

Boltby

Post by Boltby » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:50 pm

Also, go online and report the defect to DVSA, they will reply with a reference number.

Boltby

Post by Boltby » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:13 pm

Positive response received. JLR supported rectification 100%.

DennyDisco

Post by DennyDisco » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:05 pm

Thanks for your help guys - another full 100% coverage from LR here with no quibble. The LR dealer has had quite a few of these recently so was great to deal with. What a relief....