Power Steering Failure

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
Discodales

Re: Power Steering Failure

Post by Discodales » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:28 pm

My March 2016 Discovery Sport HSE suffered this failure on exiting a motorway and approaching a high speed roundabout at about 50mph - it was a real battle to negotiate the roundabout without being hit by heavy goods vehicles.

I hadn't read the forum on this topic, so at first assumed a front wheel blowout, but with no tyre pressure alarm I worked out it must be a complete loss of power steering, which was accompanied by several disturbing noises.

I managed to drive to the dealer, who after diagnosis offered a contribution of 80% toward the £3000+ repair cost. I have escalated the case with Land Rover Customer Experience who have now offered 100%, but the repair will take about 4 weeks (part will not be shipped until after Christmas). The dealer said they have no loan cars available, so unless the JLR case manager can organise a vehicle I am stuck without a vehicle until mid-January, at great inconvenience.

I cannot believe that a known design fault in a safety critical part that causes sudden and dangerous loss of steering function is not being treated more seriously with a global recall or, at the very least, a planned replacement programme for the incorrectly specified aluminium bolts. Salt usage in the UK is relatively higher than in Canada because they have long spells below -10C when salt is useless, so the only reason I can see for there being a Canadian recall and no UK recall is fear of litigation if a fatality were to occur as a result of this failure.
Disco Sport HSE 180 2016

County

Post by County » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:22 pm

Discodales wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:28 pm
My March 2016 Discovery Sport HSE suffered this failure on exiting a motorway and approaching a high speed roundabout at about 50mph - it was a real battle to negotiate the roundabout without being hit by heavy goods vehicles.

I hadn't read the forum on this topic, so at first assumed a front wheel blowout, but with no tyre pressure alarm I worked out it must be a complete loss of power steering, which was accompanied by several disturbing noises.

I managed to drive to the dealer, who after diagnosis offered a contribution of 80% toward the £3000+ repair cost. I have escalated the case with Land Rover Customer Experience who have now offered 100%, but the repair will take about 4 weeks (part will not be shipped until after Christmas). The dealer said they have no loan cars available, so unless the JLR case manager can organise a vehicle I am stuck without a vehicle until mid-January, at great inconvenience.

I cannot believe that a known design fault in a safety critical part that causes sudden and dangerous loss of steering function is not being treated more seriously with a global recall or, at the very least, a planned replacement programme for the incorrectly specified aluminium bolts. Salt usage in the UK is relatively higher than in Canada because they have long spells below -10C when salt is useless, so the only reason I can see for there being a Canadian recall and no UK recall is fear of litigation if a fatality were to occur as a result of this failure.
Agree fully, come JLR and DVLA, get your finger out before someone gets hurt.
:D B 1984 RR Vouge, Then BMW. Back to LR, H 1991 Disco 1, L 1993 Disco, N 1996 Disco, Y 2001 Disco, 53 Disco 2, 56 Disco 3
MY10 FL2 TD4 XS [Nav], MY13 FL2 TD4 GS Auto
MY15 DS SE Tech Auto Firenze Red 2.2 FL engine!

Trojan

Post by Trojan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:31 am

What an utterly shite state of affairs. My OH has refused to drive the DS now, saying she doesn't want to be on the local news explaining why she continued driving a car that she knew she could lose control of. She's 5ft 2in and 8 stone wringing wet so thats no exaggeration. Also where we live the main roads are always heavily gritted, so we must have a high possibility of having this happen at some point. Is there a VIN cut off, does anybody know?

I downloaded a USA parts diagram to see why it always needs a new rack - now I get it. The motor and rack come together in one (presumably sealed) unit, so a simple bolt change is out of the question. Replacing every rack would cost JLR at least half a billion quid at cost price, presumably that's more than the price of a life in the eyes of JLRs human bean counters.

7130270.png

2017 HSE 180 Corris Grey

Discodales

Post by Discodales » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:11 am

Thanks for the parts diagram. The Canadian recall notice at https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&mk=5472&md=EVOQUE&fy=2013&ty=2013&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&rn=2018180&cf=SearchResult&pg=0 suggests that the bolts can be replaced:
"Dealers will replace the aluminum mounting bolts with coated steel bolts and will apply a corrosion-preventative sealer around the gear housing and connecting bolts. If a bolt is found to be broken or breaks during the course of the repair, a replacement steering gear will be installed."
Disco Sport HSE 180 2016

Trojan

Post by Trojan » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:06 pm

Thanks for the correction, so not that expensive then.

So if they fail, the corroded bold stubs are still stuck in the holes which is what writes off the remaining parts. Probably with damage to pinions and lugs to boot depending on the degree of violence when the last bolt let's go.
2017 HSE 180 Corris Grey

DIsco_scot

Post by DIsco_scot » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:41 pm

Hi folks,
New forum member as a result of power steering failure - flabbergasted to read so many have had similar experience with sudden failure of power steering after approx. 3years . Loud grinding noises, inability to steer and no option but to slam on brakes in front of oncoming traffic. Thankfully no collision (was very close) at the time of failure, but like many on here I fear it is a matter of time before something more serious occurs.

Verbal feedback is the bolt corrosion and failure. Waiting to hear back from dealership on repair method and cost (it's out with warranty) and future guarantee of suitability.

Once I get more details on failure mode I will complete DVSA form and report via BBC Watchdog / AA / RAC / Honest John / National press etc. I would encourage all others to do the same.

Couple of questions:
Has anyone investigated what the UK Health and Safety Executive stance would be? Vehicle Certification Authority?
Also keen to hear responses from anyone who has had to resort to legal action to get resolution on cost recovery or future guarantee of suitability?
Anyone on a PCP deal handed the car back as a result?

Thanks,
Disco_scot

Discodales

Post by Discodales » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:26 pm

Just seen a photograph of the steering rack assembly, and on the power steering motor is a parts label which says 'Made in China'!. Say no more.
Disco Sport HSE 180 2016

SarahStreet

Post by SarahStreet » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:23 pm

Now now, I'll have you know that our Shanghai "partners" only use the highest quality "Chery" parts when building licenced vehicles. Honest!

M_Lardon

Post by M_Lardon » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:28 am

Hi. I've a 2016 2.0 180 DS SE Tech. The steering started making a strange rubbing noise a few weeks ago that's now got so much louder. At first it was only really audible inside - with then engine running you couldn't hear it outside. Now it's even louder outside. It's almost like there's metal rubbing against metal without any lubrication. Every so often, I feel like there's a little resistance when turning and the steering momentarily goes heavy - it's like the power assistance turns off for a split-second. It does have lane departure warning with a slight vibration when you get near the side of the lane and I did wonder if that unit had a fault. I've driven a Volvo XC90 with that and steering that actively pulls you back into the lane so wasn't sure if it was that at first but I don't think it has that type of assist on my DS, so does anyone have any ideas?

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:01 pm

DIsco_scot wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:41 pm
Hi folks,
New forum member as a result of power steering failure - flabbergasted to read so many have had similar experience with sudden failure of power steering after approx. 3years . Loud grinding noises, inability to steer and no option but to slam on brakes in front of oncoming traffic. Thankfully no collision (was very close) at the time of failure, but like many on here I fear it is a matter of time before something more serious occurs.

Verbal feedback is the bolt corrosion and failure. Waiting to hear back from dealership on repair method and cost (it's out with warranty) and future guarantee of suitability.

Once I get more details on failure mode I will complete DVSA form and report via BBC Watchdog / AA / RAC / Honest John / National press etc. I would encourage all others to do the same.

Couple of questions:
Has anyone investigated what the UK Health and Safety Executive stance would be? Vehicle Certification Authority?
Also keen to hear responses from anyone who has had to resort to legal action to get resolution on cost recovery or future guarantee of suitability?
Anyone on a PCP deal handed the car back as a result?

Thanks,
Disco_scot
Keep reporting it to the DVSA thread above , and post to Honest John website.
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops: